PDA

View Full Version : Panic Disorder Survivor

Joan Smith
05-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

I go by the name of Joan, I'm new to the forum and I've joined as a recovered anxiety disorder sufferer. I suffered from Panic Disorder for over 10 years and for a long time it seemed I would never find the end. But I did and I now enjoy my life even more than before the anxiety hit. I've since trained as a counsellor to try and help others recover. I remember being a member of these forums a long time ago as a sufferer and now I'd like to reach out and hopefully help some of you find your path to recovery.

I'm happy to answer any questions and hopefully by sharing my experience can help,

Joan

Ahlstrom
05-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Hi and welcome!

Let's start out with a simple question I guess: What do you think was your greatest factor in ridding your anxiety? CBT? medication? Diet? A mixture?

Joan Smith
05-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Hi,

I tried medication to start with and this was not the answer for me. I took it for 5 years before saying to myself 'this is not working i need to find the root of the problem'.
So then I went into counselling and did therapy work twice a week. The short answer is a combination of mindfulness and Cognitive Technique were the first steps out. But you need counsellors that can take you deep enough into the core thoughts that drive the anxiety. Most of the hard work happens at the beginning - getting past the symptoms and getting deeper into the actual problem - the anxiety symptoms are a very strong mask and distraction from the real issues and they can keep you going for years.

Joan

Illusionist210
05-28-2013, 08:20 AM
I'm really glad to know someone is a survivor. How long did it take you to fully grasp the cognitive techniques?

Joan Smith
05-28-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm really glad to know someone is a survivor. How long did it take you to fully grasp the cognitive techniques?

not long. I was already so locked into my head I caught on to my thoughts fairly quickly. I still use this now and I'll use it for the rest of my life. Getting past the top layer of the physical symptoms was the hardest part and then the anxious thoughts down into the real thoughts. Those symptoms and anxiety thoughts can keep you on the hamster wheel for a long time, mindfulness is key to separating yourself from them. We are fooled by these, they overwhelm us, drown us, we completely believe in them and are at their mercy. 'I'm going to die' or 'i'm going crazy' or 'im going to lose control' or 'i've got a brain tumor' and so on.

These days I have what I call 'normal' problems - you know - maybe an argument with my partner and I can use this technique to 1) not react emotionally / automatically 2) have an honest look at what's going on for me i.e. owning my own issues. My partner who hasn't ever suffered from anxiety uses this technique as well and I use it with all my clients - it's not just something for an anxiety sufferer.

Joan

Lin
05-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Joan - really good to have you on the forum with your knowledge to help us all.
My depression and anxiety has always been hormone driven for the past 28 years, and not because of something from my past. So it is always something physical going wrong which sends my head into depression and then the anxiety starts too.
I have only seen a psychologist once as I do not have any underlying head problems, just hormone problems, and have not tried cbt, but have done a mindfulness course and go to meditation groups which help and instead of cbt have been suggested to learn ACT, acceptance commitment theory, which I have bought all the books etc and trying to learn instead.
My depression and anxiety goes once the hormones settle down but this time it has been 2.5 years because of the menopause so my body has reacted very differently both to drugs and to the depression etc. Also going on so long has really caused problems for me and my husband and our relationship.
Good to hear that you have survived and are now able to help others. I have always hoped that one day when I no longer can have hormone issues, I will be able to help people with post natal depression or hormone related problems such as pelvic inflammation disease which cause some women such dreadful problems.

Joan Smith
05-29-2013, 01:22 AM
Hi Lin,

ACT is known as the new or 3rd wave of CBT - I would definitely give it a go.

I practice holisticly in the sense that I believe body, mind, emotions are all tied together, so it doesn't suprise me that your physical problems affect you mentally and emotionally. They all tie in together and although your problem appears just physical in origin, it may be a combination.

The mindfulness will help you see what your thoughts are and the ACT will help you accept what is happening more and clarify your values and what steps you need to take to get well. I always begin with mindfulness, because I believe we need to see what we are thinking to be able to change it and live a life more in accordance with what we want.

Joan

Judie
05-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Hi Lin,

ACT is known as the new or 3rd wave of CBT - I would definitely give it a go.

I practice holisticly in the sense that I believe body, mind, emotions are all tied together, so it doesn't suprise me that your physical problems affect you mentally and emotionally. They all tie in together and although your problem appears just physical in origin, it may be a combination.

The mindfulness will help you see what your thoughts are and the ACT will help you accept what is happening more and clarify your values and what steps you need to take to get well. I always begin with mindfulness, because I believe we need to see what we are thinking to be able to change it and live a life more in accordance with what we want.

Joan

Exactly ! Originates in the mind, symptoms are in direct correlation to your thoughts and how they effect your body. Catalyst is our thoughts, Cure is thoughts. Change Negative to Positive. Change the things we can in life, recognize the things we can't.

2long
05-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi Joan it's really good to see you here and can't thank you enough to know that someone has come out the other side...
My life is being ruined by severe anxiety at the moment I'm basically a recluse ... Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated xxx

M.C
05-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Hi Joan

It s a blessing to have u here
Could plz explain a bit more your techniques into dealing with anxiety so we can all try it

mid
05-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Awesome, Joan. I'm glad you're here as well.

Joan Smith
05-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Hi Joan it's really good to see you here and can't thank you enough to know that someone has come out the other side...
My life is being ruined by severe anxiety at the moment I'm basically a recluse ... Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated xxx

Hi,

A couple of you have asked for tips on handling anxiety. I'm trying to think how I can do something where week by week I could offer suggestions and then people could respond with how they are going.

I'll see if there is another section on the site that would be appropriate for this. For today I'll start with this

1) Find a photo of yourself as a child and put it somewhere you can see it regularly. Make sure it's a good photo, one you really like. Can a few people please respond once you have done this.

Joan

scared44
05-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Hi,

A couple of you have asked for tips on handling anxiety. I'm trying to think how I can do something where week by week I could offer suggestions and then people could respond with how they are going.

I'll see if there is another section on the site that would be appropriate for this. For today I'll start with this

1) Find a photo of yourself as a child and put it somewhere you can see it regularly. Make sure it's a good photo, one you really like. Can a few people please respond once you have done this.

Joan

Hi Joan I have put a picture up so what do I do now?? Thanks in advance.

Lin
05-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Sorry too late to do baby photo only just seen your post.
Pleased you believe in holistic approach. I aso have regular Reflexology with really good lady who does reiki and crystal therapy too. I can feel parts of body she is working on and even Dr impressed by how well my body reacts to her.
You have to fin right person for you in these treatments or it doesn't work.

Joan Smith
05-31-2013, 01:47 AM
Hi all,

Before continuing I've realised I need to check in with the moderators of the forum what I am 'allowed' to post. Sometimes forums are very touchy about advice giving. For those who would like to contact me personally please send a message and I can continue to converse with you that way. For the site I may have to keep my posts to questions and answers about my own experience.

Joan

scared44
05-31-2013, 02:06 AM
Sorry too late to do baby photo only just seen your post.
Pleased you believe in holistic approach. I aso have regular Reflexology with really good lady who does reiki and crystal therapy too. I can feel parts of body she is working on and even Dr impressed by how well my body reacts to her.
You have to fin right person for you in these treatments or it doesn't work.

Hi why is it to late to put a photo up?? Guess I'll take it down again.

Joan Smith
05-31-2013, 02:13 AM
Hi Beverly,

I tried to send you a PM but because I haven't made 10 posts yet apparently I can't.

Keep the photo up and once I can PM you I'll try again,

Joan

Joan Smith
06-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have started a thread in the resources section of the forum. If anyone is interested in sessions or would just like to ask me questions about my own experience, please message me there.

warmly,
Joan