PDA

View Full Version : Why is anxiety so shit??

stefbgfs
05-27-2013, 02:19 PM
I really have no idea. I had it for 4 months but it seems like i have lived with it entire life. I cant remember how chilled i was before with no panic attackts etc. I got my first panic attack an year ago but it past in 2 days. But after another one in Februrary i got anxiety almost every day since now. Its like an everyday struggle with day with hope to wake up better. I have sleeping problems, running thoughts , depersonalization, panic attacks. I had dreams, liked going out and enjoying life. Why anxiety is so bad? really need some help i am not on medicine i take propranolol just when i have a panic attack, not on regular basis. And i try to eat healthy and workout but feel really tired everyday? need some help guys how long can this go for??

anxiousLAD
05-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi stef, I've had anxiety 3 or more years now. It all started on a train when I suffered a panic attack because I needed the loo and it was occupied at the time so I couldn't go. I had to get off the train prematurely to find another vacant loo, this had had an imprint in my mind since and struggle to deal with everyday life. I haven't had a social life for this amount of time either. Don't worry your not alone.

tabs
05-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Anxiety is taking itīs toll in every aspect of our lives so I guess it is a hell on earth! You must fight it hard - educate yourself about it, take measures, donīt be lazy! You have to have a strong(BURNING) desire to get rid of this hellish creature. Find things that you enjoy in life and donīt let anxiety steal this luxury from you. I also recommend you to read an excellent book - "How to stop worrying and start living" by Dale Carnegie. This book opened up a new perspective on anxiety and life in general, it was extremely helpful so I hope that it might help you too. Note that this book was originally written in 40s - you can imagine how this book has stood a test of time.

stefbgfs
05-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Hi stef, I've had anxiety 3 or more years now. It all started on a train when I suffered a panic attack because I needed the loo and it was occupied at the time so I couldn't go. I had to get off the train prematurely to find another vacant loo, this had had an imprint in my mind since and struggle to deal with everyday life. I haven't had a social life for this amount of time either. Don't worry your not alone.

i know man, its just frustrating how this is affecting my life and thoughts. 3 years sounds like hell of a lot time to me. I want to recover fully in the next two months whatever it takes me. There should be a way out of this.

Cobra
05-27-2013, 04:04 PM
The worst thing is to get stuck in the panic loop. You worry, have an attack, and then become scared of the attack, which keeps your anxiety levels high, prompting more attacks. While in the panic state, your brain tries to find the reason for the fear, and begins to condition itself to react to the things you were doing when it struck, like driving, being in public, eating. Thoughts you have during the panic state can become triggers, leading to anxiety at the sight of knives, fearing madness, or that you are going to hurt someone. The only fix is to become unafraid of the panic. Relax, ride out the adrenaline, and try to stop adding fear to the cycle by worrying about the unpleasant symptoms. You will slowly begin to recondition yourself to stop panicking about the attacks, leading to less adrenalin in your system, and so on. You can't fight it or be afraid and definitely do not give in to avoidance strategies or denial or self pity. It's not as easy as a pill, but it will eventually work.

half2teach
05-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Anxiety is taking itīs toll in every aspect of our lives so I guess it is a hell on earth! You must fight it hard - educate yourself about it, take measures, donīt be lazy! You have to have a strong(BURNING) desire to get rid of this hellish creature. Find things that you enjoy in life and donīt let anxiety steal this luxury from you. I also recommend you to read an excellent book - "How to stop worrying and start living" by Dale Carnegie. This book opened up a new perspective on anxiety and life in general, it was extremely helpful so I hope that it might help you too. Note that this book was originally written in 40s - you can imagine how this book has stood a test of time.

Yes , ditto on the book. I am reading it as we speak!! Exercise helps me with my current symptoms plus meds

stefbgfs
05-27-2013, 05:38 PM
but is it normal to feel like that i mean i have pretty crazy simptoms sometimes and do you think 4 months is a lot of time i mean i havent been anxious at all before probably its just a small phase in life.

Cobra
05-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Your story sounds pretty typical of an anxiety sufferer. I'm sure your symptoms are the same, too. Anxiety is not some mysterious disease. There is a set number of symptoms that we all get to varying degrees, as well as similar psychological issues. You need to be proactive. Educate yourself and work on the exercises that get you over this thing. It will last only as long as you let it.

Ironmike383
05-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Yeah it's a total nightmare! I've dealt with this as long as I can remember, and it runs rampant in my genetics. I'm finally going to speak to a doctor about this week I hope. But I'm absolutely terrified of the whole deal. This sucks!

Lin
05-27-2013, 07:33 PM
It sounds like you do need help to be able to overcome the anxiety and panic attacks. This might be in the form of tablets which can help you if you talk to your doctor honestly and open so that he understands how you have been feeling.
But if tablets are not the way you want to go then I would suggest learning alternative ways to control anxiety and panic like meditation. Meditation is great in a group if you can find one because it gives you encouragement and opportunity to meet people often suffering in the same way. But meditation can be learned on your own by just every day spending a few minutes to find a quiet space and just concentrate on your breathing whole letting thoughts just pass through your head. Giving yourself just a few minutes head space a day can help tremendously and will also teach you how to slow breath when panic and anxiety arises - that can help make the attacks less traumatic by breathing deeply instead of shallow breathing which increases your attacks.

MrsJ88
05-27-2013, 09:24 PM
I'd say 4 months isn't that long. I never had anxiety in my life until 2011, and now I struggle DAILY!

anxiousLAD
05-28-2013, 08:45 AM
since having my first telephone counselling, my councillor taught me that anxiety/panic attacks is a fear for the human body, obviously in the mind.
This actually helps us in worrying/threatening situations.IE.....whereas if you was in the jungle and there was a lion about to attack, your anxiety/panic would tell you to get the hell out of there.
so obviously its actually your friend.
somewhere in life all of us have suffered with a anxiety/panic attack in a situation that frightened us or the fear was so great its left an impact on our lives, mine was 3 years ago on a train i was desperate for the toilet, it was occupied and the fear of panic and anxiety i felt because i though id mess myself and the humiliation that would have caused, that situation has scared me since this has obviously had an impact on my social life since, ( WHATS A SOCIAL LIFE?) lol, because i fear needing the loo and there not being 1 around to use.
so for us who suffer from anxiety something has triggered it off. This has got to be talked about in order for you to break down the situation in order to deal with bits at a time. hope this has helped if only a little. little steps are better than no steps at all.
good luck everyone, and WE WILL MANAGE IT EVENTUALLY!