PDA

View Full Version : Love vs Loathe

Gatsby
05-24-2013, 12:59 PM
So, at my CBT session yesterday my therapist stressed that I need to show some compassion towards myself rather than beating myself up over not acting in the way I "should" or not feeling the way I "should" feel. She explained to me that there is NO such thing as "normal" and that the word "should" is invented by society. This blew my mind because it is SO true! People, including myself, create behaviors and ways that people "should" follow...but who says I can't be my own girl? :)

What I need to do is drop these rules I have set for myself and instead of saying "I SHOULD NOT be anxious, NORMAL people would think of this scenario as casual". I mull over and beat myself up over these types of thoughts and behaviors and my therapist says to indulge in the little things I do accomplish like getting out of bed each day and dealing with my anxiety.

So, I've discovered in the past 24hrs that this self-loving idea is VERY foreign and hard to do, since I've had 7 years to create the habits that I have. Do you guys have any tips or tricks or mantras? All input is very much appreciated! :)

NixonRulz
05-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Your therapist is wise

That's why I never say "back to normal"

I always say healing instead because that should be the goal

Treat your anxiety as the nuisance that it is and not some sentence to a life of misery.

Learn about it. Accept it. Understand it. Then simply beat it.