PDA

View Full Version : College fears

Wren
08-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Well, I'm going into my senior year of high school this year, but I'm also participating in a program where I'm taking two classes at the local university along with my normal high school schedule for both college and high school credit. Besides the fact that I am completely terrified of going into this new environment where I'm not only surrounded by new buildings teachers and people, but new situations that I don't know how to control, sidestep, or adapt to yet. For example, in high school if I ever got a an assignment to give a presentation or anything in front of the class. I would either find a way to arrange to give it privately for the teacher (which was hardly better even then) or just not get points for that part of the assignment (I'm a straight A student, so this luckily didn't tend to hurt my grades at all). But with college courses things will obviously be different, and I really just don't know what to expect/do when certain (or any, really) situations arise.

hail to the thief
08-17-2007, 10:38 AM
i endured these fears throughout college. Presentation swere hell for me. Mainly because of having to speak in front of a group of people and the fact i was making new friends, so when we had to get in groups i felt like a loner.
This also meant at times i missed lessons, which didn't help with my education.

I wish now i started differently. Maybe sort help from someone else to try and help with nerves.
Or told a teacher, the student coucillor, tutor my fear of doing presentations. Perhaps they could have found another way for me to do it. If that could of happened, my life would have been a lot easier and happier.

Wren
08-20-2007, 10:48 AM
It sucks that you had to go through all that. To me it feels like someone else has control of my legs and I'm being forced to walk into a torture chamber. I don't want to, but I have to. It's something I have to endure not avoid and that's just....ahhhhh.

hail to the thief
08-20-2007, 12:10 PM
It sucks that you had to go through all that. To me it feels like someone else has control of my legs and I'm being forced to walk into a torture chamber. I don't want to, but I have to. It's something I have to endure not avoid and that's just....ahhhhh.
i guess i just have to look at it as though it's just an experience in my life.

i found at college that there are a few who are quite shy. But i'm fairly good looking (yeh big headed but if i weren't, cos of my personality, i'd think i was horribly unattractive) and i think that it kind of made it worse because people sort of thought i was just an arse and thought i was too good for everyone. A lot of people who were shy seemed to make friends a lot easier. But maybe i just had it worse than i thought :roll:

The good side of it, however, was that when the teacher wasn't in, it was like ecstacy. :mrgreen: