PDA

View Full Version : does this sound like depression?

hail to the thief
08-15-2007, 04:06 PM
ok, i may just be an arsehole, instead of having depression.

But, whenever someone else is happy and i don't seem to be up for much, i feel really down.

For example, my cousins went on holiday and came back with these friends who they meet often and got girlfiends out there.
It just really gets me down thinking about it. It feels like they have these great lives and i have nothing.

I know i shouldn't think like that and i should be happy for them, but i just can't.

(that's just one of quite a few things)

Wren
08-16-2007, 09:54 PM
I know exactly how you feel. And it makes you feel even worse because it makes you feel as though you're a bad person for thinking this way instead of being happy for them...even though it's not as though you're necessarily mad at them or angry at them for having good lives and good things happening for them...you're just down on yourself for not seeming to be able to have these same things happen for you. For me personally, I know these sort of feelings come from my depression. These feelings come from my not being happy with myself...not from being an evil person who doesn't want others to be happy. And I would think this would be the same in your case.

hail to the thief
08-17-2007, 10:26 AM
yeh, that's how i feel.
It's like a jealously that others are leading a happy life and you aren't. And then there's the guiltish feeling that you are being a horrible person for thinking it.
I guess as it's irrational thinking it's definatley some type of disorder.