PDA

View Full Version : Physically Sick Due To Anxiety

GeneralWorrier
05-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Hey guys,

I wondered if anyone else has it like this too or is it just me? I'm 17 and have had my anxiety for about 2 years but over these past 10 months I've gotten myself into such a state that I'm physically sick most days. It's so embarrassing; I'm constantly looking for the nearest exit or nearest toilet wherever I am not to mention having to run off from a situation.

I've spoke to my GP about this and he prescribed me with 10mg Domperidone tablets, these have really helped and have started to stop this happening, is this normal for people like 'us'? Or are everybody's symptoms different? Being at sixth form is hard because I'm constantly in rooms/studios and I worry that I'm not going to be able to get out if I need to. Can anyone relate to this? :(

Enduronman
05-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Hey GW,
I raised two daughters with these exact same symptoms, especially in social settings at school. They would experience panic related to their high anxiety. I had medications designed to help with this issue for them both while at school in the nurses office. It did help the older one to be able to graduate but my youngest daughter had to have special class accomodations made. These symptoms that you mention here, are very common, more then you even see while you're there.

The one thing that did offer them even more levels of comfort was when I communicated to the school, staff, nurse, all of their teachers, what was happening with my girls and how they felt. The Admin of the school made an amazing effort to help them and provided them with something called a "hot pass" which meant that whenever they felt panicky, they just got the teachers attention, held it up, walked out the door. The oldest (now 22) would take a break and go down to the nurses station then. The youngest (now 17) was given permission to go watch tv in the Principals conference room, go get a snack, talk to the office staff, whatever she needed to calm down and feel better.

My suggestion to you. Have your parents make everyone aware of how you feel, ask for special accomodations, and stop trying to hide it from everyone at the school, because once you "reveal" this condition and stop focusing on what it can do, the apprehension, the tension, the fear of waiting for something to happen, then it will begin to subside and stop feeding on your thoughts. That's how you eventually force it out and away..

Make these adjustments while you're still young to assure your future successes without it.

(My daughters were dumped onto my front steps when they were young and their mother left this state. I know the roots of their anxiety, it started right there)

Best wishes.

E-Man.

GeneralWorrier
05-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Hey GW,
I raised two daughters with these exact same symptoms, especially in social settings at school. They would experience panic related to their high anxiety. I had medications designed to help with this issue for them both while at school in the nurses office. It did help the older one to be able to graduate but my youngest daughter had to have special class accomodations made. These symptoms that you mention here, are very common, more then you even see while you're there.

The one thing that did offer them even more levels of comfort was when I communicated to the school, staff, nurse, all of their teachers, what was happening with my girls and how they felt. The Admin of the school made an amazing effort to help them and provided them with something called a "hot pass" which meant that whenever they felt panicky, they just got the teachers attention, held it up, walked out the door. The oldest (now 22) would take a break and go down to the nurses station then. The youngest (now 17) was given permission to go watch tv in the Principals conference room, go get a snack, talk to the office staff, whatever she needed to calm down and feel better.

My suggestion to you. Have your parents make everyone aware of how you feel, ask for special accomodations, and stop trying to hide it from everyone at the school, because once you "reveal" this condition and stop focusing on what it can do, the apprehension, the tension, the fear of waiting for something to happen, then it will begin to subside and stop feeding on your thoughts. That's how you eventually force it out and away..

Make these adjustments while you're still young to assure your future successes without it.

(My daughters were dumped onto my front steps when they were young and their mother left this state. I know the roots of their anxiety, it started right there)

Best wishes.

E-Man.

Thank you so much for replying, it's put me a little at ease knowing that I'm not the only one out there suffering these symptoms. I wish I could tell them but I feel so embarrassed with it all, they would think of me differently :( I usually have to ask to leave for the toilet, once I've been sick I have to take a few minutes outside and calm myself down because I'm so annoyed at myself for getting into such a state again. I worry about what my teachers will think of me once they know about it :/

Enduronman
05-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Your teachers already know, trust me. They won't think of you differently to disclose this issue, that they already see. Your parents should start with Admin, then let them make all staff aware. You can't beat this, if you continue to try and hide it, because sees it anyway.

Once my daughters teachers were informed of their issues, the teachers themselves made special accomodations too. They would allow my daughters to pick their own class presentation times, and also allow them to pick certain friends from the class itself to give these presentations too without having to perform with severe performance anxiety in front of the whole class.

Anxiety feeds on your fear of reprisals and judgement from others, only problem is, their judging you because they see the issue you're attempting to hide. It is that worry you think about all day, day in, day out...

Take the suggested steps to make your life more tolerable, and quit worrying about what everyone else thinks because their thoughts aren't of any value to you anyway.

Expose it, and it will leave you alone.

E-Man :)

GeneralWorrier
05-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Your teachers already know, trust me. They won't think of you differently to disclose this issue, that they already see. Your parents should start with Admin, then let them make all staff aware. You can't beat this, if you continue to try and hide it, because sees it anyway.

Once my daughters teachers were informed of their issues, the teachers themselves made special accomodations too. They would allow my daughters to pick their own class presentation times, and also allow them to pick certain friends from the class itself to give these presentations too without having to perform with severe performance anxiety in front of the whole class.

Anxiety feeds on your fear of reprisals and judgement from others, only problem is, their judging you because they see the issue you're attempting to hide. It is that worry you think about all day, day in, day out...

Take the suggested steps to make your life more tolerable, and quit worrying about what everyone else thinks because their thoughts aren't of any value to you anyway.

Expose it, and it will leave you alone.

E-Man :)

I've had it for 2 years and they haven't ever noticed it before, I don't think they would do anything like that over here in the UK. My teachers are understanding but I don't think they'd make any exceptions to missing lessons and doing things differently. Being in a single parent family I only have my mum to talk to and she doesn't really understand at all so I've done this mostly on my own, I don't think she's even thought about letting my teachers know.

Thank you for replying, I feel less alone knowing you have experience with your daughters who are a similar age to me :)

locksey
05-18-2013, 04:57 PM
I've had it for 2 years and they haven't ever noticed it before, I don't think they would do anything like that over here in the UK. My teachers are understanding but I don't think they'd make any exceptions to missing lessons and doing things differently. Being in a single parent family I only have my mum to talk to and she doesn't really understand at all so I've done this mostly on my own, I don't think she's even thought about letting my teachers know.

Thank you for replying, I feel less alone knowing you have experience with your daughters who are a similar age to me :)

Hi , I had panic attacks start at the age of 11yrs old and wud miss days frm Skool sumtimes as wud get half way and turn bak and go hme ... My mom at the time ( also single parent ) informed my Skool as the one thing I found hard was to sit thru an assembly so the Skool let me sit in the let in the library .... Mayb u cud ask yr mom to mention it to the Skool ( no harm in trying ) and nowadays skills do make exceptions for certain children for diff things ( I wrk in a Skool ) ...
What park ov England u frm ?

GeneralWorrier
05-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Hi , I had panic attacks start at the age of 11yrs old and wud miss days frm Skool sumtimes as wud get half way and turn bak and go hme ... My mom at the time ( also single parent ) informed my Skool as the one thing I found hard was to sit thru an assembly so the Skool let me sit in the let in the library .... Mayb u cud ask yr mom to mention it to the Skool ( no harm in trying ) and nowadays skills do make exceptions for certain children for diff things ( I wrk in a Skool ) ...
What park ov England u frm ?

Hey, I'm from Derby and go to sixth form (college) so they won't be as lenient as they would with school children. I've been in quite a few situations where I've been that worried to go in I'd get half way there and turn back also.

locksey
05-18-2013, 05:18 PM
The one thing I do is have to think to myself
( even in my wrk ) ... Kan anyone physically stop me frm walkin out or leaving sumwhere .. What's the worst that kan happen ? Loose my job ? And I have to think like this for a lot ov situations as I also feel " trapped " and need a " way out " ... Give it a go and still, I think mayb yr mom cud stil talk to yr college

locksey
05-18-2013, 05:18 PM
P.s.... I'm frm Birmingham ... And u shud be in it bed sleepin !!! :-)

GeneralWorrier
05-18-2013, 05:34 PM
The one thing I do is have to think to myself
( even in my wrk ) ... Kan anyone physically stop me frm walkin out or leaving sumwhere .. What's the worst that kan happen ? Loose my job ? And I have to think like this for a lot ov situations as I also feel " trapped " and need a " way out " ... Give it a go and still, I think mayb yr mom cud stil talk to yr college

I think that's the only thought that has stopped me from properly freaking out, I've walked out of my lessons a couple of times and then just said I had 'meetings' to attend to when really I'd gone into one of my other subjects (art) studios, just so I could sit and calm down. No one mentioned it because I attend those lessons around my normal schedule whenever I'm free, they just thought I was there to complete work. My mum doesn't understand what I'm going through, no matter how many times I've tried to tell her I just get 'then just stop worrying' and on a few occasions where we've exchanged a few crossed words I'll hear her mutter 'oh go and get some more tablets'. As you can probably tell she doesn't understand this illness, I've done it mostly on my own :/ & haha I know I should! Haven't been able to sleep just recently though