PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm new! and I need some advice.

BeccaRose
08-14-2007, 05:36 PM
I have always been an anxious child and at 19 I'm turning into an anxious adult.
I recently got a full hip replacement (yes, at my age) and I experienced several nights of nausea and anxiety in the hospital room. I chalked it up to the drugs and the trauma on my body. Now, though, I've been home for a few days and I'm still having troubles. Days are good, very good, I watch shows, do my exercises, and take pleasure in my physical progress. The worst times comes right about 5 and last a couple hours and then again at bed time. I'm anxious about evenings, it's an irrational fear, I fear not being able to go to sleep. (I have to sleep on my back with a pillow between my legs, and I have never been able to sleep that way). This has taken a toll, I can't seem to relax during these periods, I feel sick to my stomach, and I lose my appetite. My friends want to come and see me, but I just don't feel like visitors.
I decided to seek professional help, but unfortunately all of the mental health places in the area seem to be booked solid or have waiting lists. I was sent home with a small amount of Atavin...but I don't want to have to rely on any medication for this. I want to kick this on my own.
The best remedy seems to be keeping my mind occupied, and calm. Does anyone have advice on what I can do during these "bad" spells, how to relax, and tips on falling asleep. I return to school soon, and I don't want this still hanging over me. I appreciate any advice from people who understand!
Thanks,
Becca

baysmom5
08-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Look into Biofeedback. I recently started having anxiety attacks and suffer from constant worry about sleeping and how I'll function through the next day. I've had 2 Biofeedback visits...and haven't had a severe episode since my first visit. They teach you ways to relax and manage your thoughts. It's really helpful and interesting...even for someone who just needs help learning to RELAX!

Hope this helps.