PDA

View Full Version : Work and depression etc

Lin
05-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Has anyone else found that because you have been honest about your depression and/or anxiety that even if you are stressed at work like anyone else would be, it is put down to your mental illness?

Having real problems with a new boss, and wondered if anyone else encountered this and found way to overcome it.

Have asked for honesty in future so can defend myself straightaway, and am trying to show calmness at all times and taking breaks as told, but still being nagged when showing any little sign of stress or being nagged about breaks and taking tablets.

Feel like I am on probation by new boss who only started in November, whilst I have been in the job for 13 years. Determined I am not going to lose job because new boss thinks I show signs of mental illness, when in anyone else it would be stress from working long hours and IT etc going wrong in the office.

Advice from anyone experiencing or experienced same prejudice would be good.

Thanks, hope someone has some helpful tips for me. Have loads of techniques to use at work to stay calm, and my stress is only what someone without depression would have, so just unfair that it is being put down to mental illness.

raquel
05-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Depression and anxiety are labeled as a mental illness. And approx 60% of all Canadians (where I'm from) have it.

Nothing to be ashamed of.
of any one's business either.

I get anxious at my job and I work from home! Go figure. However I'm virtually watched and have to take time outs to calm myself or to have an attack which can make my attack worse because I worry that my boss will wonder where I am.

My suggestion is to not take meds in front if any one. Go to the washroom to take them in a stall, "stretching your legs" is legally allowed.

Do you take lunches off site? If not this will be helpful.

This may or may not help but I thought offer my opinion.

Judie
05-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi Lin, There is definite bias when it comes to anxiety/ depression or any emotional or mental illness. In the workplace,society in general or I find especially the medical field with Old school Drs. tend to dismiss a lot of what you say to anxiety after they have been told you suffer. Not wise, but there is still a lot of ignorance on the subject. But as time goes on you will see more acceptance and an increase in knowledgable insight.

Lin
05-23-2013, 10:03 PM
I have definitely been told by previous bosses, some of whom are solicitors and barristers, that being told showing signs of "mental illness" can be construed as discrimination so am logging everything said to me since been back to work.
Not good way to build up a new relationship with new boss and to build up trust, but definitely feel like on probation, so have no choice.
It is just the pressure in my head every day at work and spills into home life which makes my life so difficult and makes me do stupid things at weekends when I think I have got work sorted in my head, but I haven't, and my head is exploding.

jinx136
07-15-2013, 08:27 AM
I can feel what you are saying about bad bosses. I am a teacher, and you would think in a field where it is championed and shouted how we need to help and accept others that this is never the case.

People just do not accept anxiety and depression as a serious illness. They think it is seasonal, temporary, or just emotional, especially if you are a male.

My new principal-schools change them every two years- is a super health nut, and I know that he looks down on me for my anxiety and weight gain. He already tried to ruin me this year, which has made my summer not restful, but more of a desperate search for a new but safe school, where someone would care.

I mean, all I want is a little help in lesson plan design, but I know I will never get it. Mentor's by the way, do not help. That is simply some paperwork or fake title some senior teacher adopts to get brownie points.

Is there a advocatcy group for anxiety and depression?

Lin
07-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Jinx 136 I do not know about an advocacy group but I have been advised to go to the citizens bureau to find out my rights or I have been told that there are people associated with the Mental Health Forum who are able to advise about rights at work.

cheesecake
07-17-2013, 03:02 AM
That is just perfect! Get the bitch to shut up! I had the same thing happen to me, except in class. I myself didn't overcome it. I ended up withdrawing from the class, but looks like you have found a solution! Definitely get someone to advocate for you!

mid
07-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Junior, for teaching plan designs, have you considered looking at what it is you need to make a plan be effective for you? I taught home school for two years using Calvert School curriculum, two different grade levels, and the basic lesson plan is simple-you build on it how you want the students to experience the lesson. Lin, there are a lot of ways to find your calm zone as you have been doing. Two things I suggest to help you with this, do a routine before you enter and exit work place, take your medicine in private, and if the boss makes a statement that is not relevant to your actual work, keep a timeline of it, and keep focused with your efforts to improve the professional part of the business relationship. Bad bosses are everywhere, and it takes time to train them to be better. The advocacy group level is a great way to find resources to help as well. I had zero clue with a bad boss when she compared her single ear hearing loss to my major neuro-sensory bi-lateral hearing loss, that she was using her experience to prove I was unable to do the job to her standards. If I had known then what I know now, I would have handled it better. Best wishes, you are not alone in this. Cheesecake, I am taking a class and have had a couple of panic attacks in the class, the teacher has been wonderful, and I'm in the class still and glad for the experience. I wish you the best in finding a teacher that is willing to work with you.

Lin
07-23-2013, 01:29 AM
Good luck cheesecake in finding good job sounds like you deserve to