PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and sleep

leetbulldog
05-16-2013, 08:06 AM
My anxiety is now interfering with my sleep for te first time since I started with it 7years ago.. I wake up after like 3hours of sleep with that feeling that I'm gonna have a heart attack...I also notice that I get nervous when I'm falling asleep because I feel my heart beats.. I csnt fall asleep till 8-9amI hate it! What can I do to stop it from happening! it's awful!!

GeneralWorrier
05-16-2013, 08:30 AM
I have a similar problem too and I didn't know what to do either. I now go to bed 1-2 hours before usual and stick my headphones in and listen to music for a while. It calms me down when I start to worry/panic, I close my eyes and try to concentrate on the lyrics to the songs guessing the next line before it comes up. This takes my mind off of worrying and can sometimes help. If not try to pick up a book before you go to sleep, or something similar, when you wake up in the middle of the night sit up and think to yourself you're fine, there's nothing going to happen take a few deep breaths and sit calmly for a while. Always have your music/book or whatever works best for you close so you can use that to calm yourself down and relax before trying to sleep again. Sorry if I wasn't much help but this did work for me a little, I wish you all the best :)

leetbulldog
05-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Thank you.. I should do that next time.

nf1234
05-16-2013, 10:57 AM
I personally had to take a benzo for this exact issue. I took clonazepam 2-3 nights a week and it fixed this problem. It was my last semester of college so I need to be fully rested. It seemed to calm down my whole system and I needed the pills less and less. You could try the same or something like Sleepytime EXTRA tea, Natural Calm Magnesium, Gaba, Glycine, Taurine, ect. Also make sure your blood sugar is not dropping in the night. Try to stay away from anything sugary especially for dinner or before bed. You want to calm and wind down your system as best as possible. A hot bath or shower would probably help or anything else that you find relaxing.