PDA

View Full Version : how much has anxiety affected your driving?

hail to the thief
08-13-2007, 03:15 PM
I can't pass my damn test.

My left foot shakes so much it literally bounces of the clutch, making it very difficult to drive. The odd thing is i don't actualy feel that nervous in my head.
I also think my anxiety makes me uncertain, which isn't good when driving. Like, when deciding to wait for a car to go by due to the size of the road or going through.

Anyone else get this?

dorigen
08-14-2007, 07:13 PM
used to have that all the time... i felt unsafe driving... as i began to relax in general, i was able to relax while driving finally getting back to normal.

Bridgie
08-15-2007, 08:55 AM
I can't even drive anymore...at all! I try every once in a while, like once a year, and get so shaky I can hardly hold the steering wheel. I think if I tried more to do it in little doses, it would get better.

It's very scary and debilitating.

Celtic34
08-16-2007, 04:07 PM
I cant drive manual cars at all. I drove automatic all my life then my parents got me a car that was manual but I was to nervous to even try it out. I was terrified of stalling in the middle of traffic or going backwards on hills.

Wren
08-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Oh my god! I'm too terrified to even try to drive. I'm so embarassed, nervous, and shaky to get lessons or drive with someone. And the idea of driving in general, being on the road...well, thinking about it makes my chest feel likes it's being crushed. I would really like to get my license soon because I'm 17 and will be going off to college next year. But for right now, I'll just have to see.

RichB
08-21-2007, 02:07 PM
I used to have a really bad time driving, first on highways, then anywhere. It took some doing and I made a lot of mistakes, but I'm completely over it now and drive anywhere I want. It's a nice change. I actually was a part of building the new Driving Fear program that's being released in the next few weeks, maybe get on the newsletter or something if you feel it's a big issue for you. I can't post a link here but it's a good program, you can email me if you're interested.

Robbed
08-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Interestingly enough, anxiety has kind of turned up the wick when it comes to my driving. I find myself driving ALOT more, and ALOT faster. I think that maybe I tend to do this to try to forget about my anxiety problem.

RichB
08-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Yeah, that's actually discussed in the program..

CallMeCrazy
08-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I guess I'm lucky. I love my truck and love driving. I feel probably most comfortable just taking a drive to no where by myself and hearing the engine run. :cool:

Robbed
08-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah, that's actually discussed in the program..

On the other hand, I've ALWAYS had leadfoot tendencies. So I am not really alarmed by my driving situation. I would be MUCH more worried if I was to suddenly become scared of driving and/or REALLY slow down.

RichB
08-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Only you know if you're speeding up because you drive fast as a rule or if you're driving fast to rush through an otherwise uncomfortable situation.

BobaFett49
09-11-2007, 01:59 AM
It hasn't so much affected my driving as just my mental state when I am driving. Driving for some reason now is one of the things that will actually create anxiety for me. I'm not really afraid of getting into an accident (knock on wood), and I don't get claustrophobic when I'm driving but for some reason, I guess because I am so sensitive to my environment and its conditions, driving seriously produces some bad anxiety.

RichB
09-11-2007, 06:33 AM
we found that driving anxiety is in the top 3 fears of anxious people.