PDA

View Full Version : stress, anxiety and weight loss.

Willo1982
05-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Can anyone tell me if stress and anxiety alone can cause dramatic weight loss? Also can it cause immune system to be low?. My health anxiety has flared up over the past few months as I had un-explained medical issues which have resolved now but I now have some kind of throat infection at the moment which I googled and now think it could be serious (I hate anxiety). In the last 2 months I have had a death in the family and brought a house so I have been very stressed and anxious for weeks now and have just noticed I have dropped 3kg, I am eating fairly healthy and drinking plenty of water but not exercising. I am scared I have something seriously wrong with me. I physically feel ok but mentally I feel there is wrong. I have booked into go see a psychologist tomorrow but am still worried about being sick and having a feral throat. Please any advice would be great. Cheers

gaza514
05-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Can anyone tell me if stress and anxiety alone can cause dramatic weight loss? Also can it cause immune system to be low?. My health anxiety has flared up over the past few months as I had un-explained medical issues which have resolved now but I now have some kind of throat infection at the moment which I googled and now think it could be serious (I hate anxiety). In the last 2 months I have had a death in the family and brought a house so I have been very stressed and anxious for weeks now and have just noticed I have dropped 3kg, I am eating fairly healthy and drinking plenty of water but not exercising. I am scared I have something seriously wrong with me. I physically feel ok but mentally I feel there is wrong. I have booked into go see a psychologist tomorrow but am still worried about being sick and having a feral throat. Please any advice would be great. Cheers

I lost 20 pounds in 3 months , I'm fine we will get it back

scared44
05-15-2013, 01:14 AM

Hi Ive lost 20kg in 3mths due to my anxiety and eating phobia!! I'm now down to a size 7 to skinny!! It's a vicious cycle... Hope your feeling better soon? Take care :-)

Willo1982
05-23-2013, 02:03 AM
Each day I notice my weight dropping and im really scared. I am waiting to see my doc as we speak as I want to run more tests to make sure its not something serious. I just want to get back to my normal healthy weight. Everyone keeps telling me to stop stressing but I cant help it as the way im losing weight is not healthy. I dont know what to do about this. Any advice would help.

missmello
05-23-2013, 05:43 AM
I also lost a lot of weight in a short time, and it scared the crap out of me. I wanted to lose weight, but not like this! Worrying about it and constantly checking the scales made things much worse. It was all anxiety, and I was feeding the fear. Good that you are getting checked by a doctor, but my bet is it is just stress. You are going through a lot right now, and stress can cause weight loss, even if you don't notice you are probably eating less than you usually do.. reduce the stress in your life and you will slowly get back on track.

nf1234
05-23-2013, 02:06 PM
I have also lost weight from stress and anxiety.

NixonRulz
05-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Years ago I lost probably 25 pounds or a little better than 2 stone for all you Euros up in here.

I forced milk down just so I had something in my stomach

Lost my appetite big time

All of us in here ought to formulate a marketing plan and advertise it as quick weight loss secrets to the "normal" people

Give em anxiety and a desirable weight

The bonus would be there would be more opportunity to meet people here

Willo1982
05-23-2013, 06:47 PM
So I seen my doc and she was really good... reassured me that with all that has happened in my life over past few months is the reason I have lost weight. She however done a physical examination because of the constant running to toilet and the cramping that I now have and stated I might have appendicitis... wtf... now my body is starting to give me pain on my right abdomen (not sure if its just my anxiety trying to trick me or if I should be going to ER) my doc did say if the cramps dont ease up today then to go back to her immediately, so im thinking I might do that just to be safe. However strangely enough im not stressing over it.

Nicolette
05-24-2013, 12:39 PM
when i have anxiety i dont eat anything. my mom told me make sure to eat yogurts or fruits but sometimes i cant. it just makes me feel really sick. i try to drink energy drinks, i dont want to lose more weight

Willo1982
05-26-2013, 11:33 PM
I also lost a lot of weight in a short time, and it scared the crap out of me. I wanted to lose weight, but not like this! Worrying about it and constantly checking the scales made things much worse. It was all anxiety, and I was feeding the fear. Good that you are getting checked by a doctor, but my bet is it is just stress. You are going through a lot right now, and stress can cause weight loss, even if you don't notice you are probably eating less than you usually do.. reduce the stress in your life and you will slowly get back on track.

Missmello you pretty much summed up everything I have been doing lol... I hate my scales yet im always on them.. am trying hard to stay off them. My doc wants to do a checkup with me once a wk gor the next month just to make sure I am not losing as much weight as it feels like.

My appendix is fine which is great news. I think from now on in my stress levels should subside, I have soughted out all my general stresses in my life except the weight loss but I figure now that everything else is settling I should start putting weight back on.

blondieqtpie
05-27-2013, 01:09 AM
Stress works different on everyone. Some gain... Some loose weight. It's normal. If you are worried about it talk to your doctor. You can also eat meal and protein bars to replace meals.
Stress also can make a person less immune to sicknes.
Stress can be a crazy thing ...add anxiety, panic and / or depression disorders...well it's not fun