PDA

View Full Version : Should I accept it as a challenge? Help?

melaidon
05-13-2013, 10:41 PM
I have entered a competition for July, This competition consists of photoshoots,modeling and my talent dancing. I have been wanting to take part in this since July 2012...Then my anxiety came up in about November. Ever since then, I don't like people staring at me, I avoid situations where I get attention..like, opening presents infront of family on christmas day. I avoid lots of things cos I just have fear of an anxiety attack and humiliation.

So, I tell myself..WHAT am I doing entering a competition with over 150 people looking at me, pre-judging, and interviews on the microphone???

It's because I will never forgive myself if anxiety got in the way of this competition which i've been planning to take part in this since July 2012.
I think of this as a challenge, maybe I gain confidence and my anxiety starts to slowly fade away throughout the competition, Or i'm on the road to disaster.

I need some advice please. I keep thinking I should quit..Because I'm just gonna humiliate myself.
I just don't know :/

raggamuffin
05-14-2013, 01:17 AM
Avoiding such situation empowers the anxiety and reaffirms your belief anxiety has contorl over your life. Practicing avoidance behaviour is not the way to get over your anxiety. You need to realize that the anxiety and its symptoms cannot hurt you. The more you avoid such situations the harder it can eventually become more difficult to face such situatoins that make you fele more stressed or anxious.

I would recommend practicing exposing yourself to such situations gradually. Remind yourself no matter how anxious or how many symptoms you get they can't hurt you. Remind yourself that you are in control. Even if your heart races or you feel a bit off - it can never harm you.

Nobody can predict the future, so don't assume you will be humiliated. With anxiety people expect the worst and any situation can seem a lot more stressful. Perhaps have a read online about anxiety and try and understand it more. Speak to your doctor about cognitive behavioural therapy if it's available in your area.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ed