PDA

View Full Version : Not worked in 2 and a half years..

smurfychris
05-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Ok I'm now 29, anxiety and all that jazz started about when I was 20ish, anyway until 2 and a half years ago I was working 24 7, I think it was mostly linked to me obsessing about relationships, females etc, anyway I really want to get back into work, I've basically had enough of letting this beat me aha, and just want to get back out there.

Was hoping some people who may of been in similar situations, how they went about going back to work, I'm sure I would be better off mentally if I try to do it.

Stephen Joseph
05-13-2013, 02:44 PM
It's best to take small steps rather than giant leaps when recoving from anxiety and getting back into the workplace. Pace yourself and take things slowly.

Perhaps start in a part-time job for 3 days a week and then work your way up to full-time. Work of some kind will certainly help you mentally and physically.

missmello
05-13-2013, 02:47 PM
In 2005 I had severe panic attacks and health anxiety, my heart would race out of the blue, and I was getting attacks at work, so I quit, because I was really bad for about a month. I eventually started working again 2 months later, part time, and the job was really laid back and easy so I think that helped also.

Well this past march I got really bad anxiety again, it was debilitating, couldn't even get out of bed, so i left my job again. After seeing doctors and ruling out any real illness, I started to accept it was just anxiety, and I slowly forced myself to get out of the house. Started with short car rides (my husband driving) then short walks, then go for a quick grocery run, until I finally felt like I could drive myself around and be out in public by myself. It's all about baby steps. I sent out resumes, and if I got a call back I would force myself to go on the interview, and everything turned out ok. I saw that I could do it, started gaining confidence and kept going on interviews. Now I am working part time again, and almost feel 100%, not quite there yet but I know that getting out and working is actually helping me. It will help you too. Being back working makes me feel productive and happy that I am contributing to support myself and my husband. It feels good, and good feelings are what you need when you are going through anxious times!
Good luck to you! You can do it!

Lin
05-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Certain getting back to work will really help but make sure take it slow and try find work somewhere they will be kind and considerate to health problems. Had friends who found health services easier to get into when had problems, but not heard for a while, but might be worth trying.

smurfychris
05-13-2013, 05:28 PM
In 2005 I had severe panic attacks and health anxiety, my heart would race out of the blue, and I was getting attacks at work, so I quit, because I was really bad for about a month. I eventually started working again 2 months later, part time, and the job was really laid back and easy so I think that helped also.

Well this past march I got really bad anxiety again, it was debilitating, couldn't even get out of bed, so i left my job again. After seeing doctors and ruling out any real illness, I started to accept it was just anxiety, and I slowly forced myself to get out of the house. Started with short car rides (my husband driving) then short walks, then go for a quick grocery run, until I finally felt like I could drive myself around and be out in public by myself. It's all about baby steps. I sent out resumes, and if I got a call back I would force myself to go on the interview, and everything turned out ok. I saw that I could do it, started gaining confidence and kept going on interviews. Now I am working part time again, and almost feel 100%, not quite there yet but I know that getting out and working is actually helping me. It will help you too. Being back working makes me feel productive and happy that I am contributing to support myself and my husband. It feels good, and good feelings are what you need when you are going through anxious times!
Good luck to you! You can do it!

Thanks everyone for the replies, and it's nice to be reassured that doing it slowly can only benefit me. That's really inspiring miss mello, really glad you have got that far and can't wait to be there myself, and yeah now I am over the just wanting to dive into it I do realize I should take it slowly, excited about it, because I refuse to be like this forever, thanks for all the replies, slowly it is.