PDA

View Full Version : Gad

avalewis
05-11-2013, 04:02 PM
I think I have GAD. I will be seeing a therapist soon. My husband believes this will not help. My doctor gave me meds. Xanax and Zoloft. I am afraid to take the zoloft after seeing it on tv for recall. Is anyone taking zoloft?

jessed03
05-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Hey ava!

Why does your husband think it won't help? Is there a reason he thinks that, or is he being cynical? Studies have shown, that upto 75% of people dramatically improve their condition when taking meds combined with therapy. I'd say those odds are pretty good for a person! Perhaps you should tell him you need him to be incredibly supportive at this time, and to smother you with positivity. :) The last thing an anxious person needs are doubts.

As for the Zoloft, it's the most popular aniti-depressant I do believe. Many on this forum are taking it, and I've seen good things from a lot of them. I would advise you to just bite the bullet, take the zoloft for a bit, and see what happens. Tv is full of horror stories, although they seem scary and dramatic, try and take them with a pinch of salt. Everything has it's small problems. :)

Lin
05-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Not been on zolof, I don't think but hope it works well for you. Not worry about no support from husband they seem to find it hard to sympathise and help. I have been married 28 years and because my depression from hormones and age he can't understand it at all. Also going on so much longer this time he has got fed up with us having no social life etc. When I was in hospital in 2011 for 7 weeks because suicidal and they could not find a tablet body did not reject this time, my husband was sick for 8 weeks too with the worry. During that time he had carer support and was more sympathetic. Since he went back to work and not had support, he has been much worse, and not helpful or sympathetic about my health at all. Luckily my new mental health nurse has persuaded him to accept help again and he has even agreed to go on a NHS course about how to help with my recovery! So know how difficult when husband not giving you support and encouragement you need!