PDA

View Full Version : Unable to translate thoughts into words

crookthings
05-10-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm brand new to this forum and I don't have anxiety (except for a fear of talking on the phone), but I was just wondering if anyone is feeling generous enough to lend me some insight on this :)

Does anyone feel that their anxiety makes it debilitating to describe what they're thinking, let alone what they're feeling? Especially when you're having an important discussion with someone, like an argument with a friend, even though you're not normally anxious while talking to them?

I ask because my boyfriend is an incredibly anxious person, but the anxiety is very generalized, like it's just a feeling that's there and it's rarely ever caused by anything specific. Anyway, he has problems communicating, mostly when he has to consciously translate his thoughts into words, if that makes sense. We're long distance, so verbal affection is really important, but he finds it really difficult to do, and then it ends up being a negative experience... If that's related to the anxiety, I want to understand what it's like so I can be more supportive instead of getting impatient. I asked him this myself and, fittingly, he's unable to describe it :P