PDA

View Full Version : Getting loved ones to understand

longfacecase
05-09-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm sure everyone has gone through this in some way, weather a friend, family member or significant other is/was the focus..

There seems to always be someone or many people who are important to you but just dont understand what you go through and why you take medication.

How do you get their understanding?

In my case, my loved one does believe that I go through bad anxiety and depression episodes. But my loved one does not believe in medication. "antidepressants dont work, it makes no difference, it's in your head" "seroquel just turns your brain to putty, it doesnt help anxiety, it just zombies you" "you dont need ambien, just go to sleep" "just stop thinking about it so much" "snap out of it" "thinking about those things will drive you crazy, stop it" "you're making it worse" "i've been through just as much as you, if not worse" - such words can be so angering and damaging.

How do you get someone you care about to open their mind to you taking medicine? The person I care about has witnessed me go through attacks, major depression episodes, complete mental transformation right before their eyes and even direct positive response to medication and STILL they think it's just me getting over it and not the medicine helping. And when I'm doing really really bad, they make me feel guilty for taking my medicine (it is not their goal to make me feel guilty, but there "you dont need it" comments make my worrying 10x worse)

How can I make them see??

any personal stories on how you achieved understanding from a loved one would be SO helpful .. thank you.

Stephen Joseph
05-10-2013, 06:48 AM
I think you just have to do what you think is best for yourself and your anxiety, rather than focus too much on what other people say or think. Of course, it's very difficult when loved ones are not very understanding but to be blunt that is their problem. You need to get yourself right and then they will see an imrpovement in you which will benefit everyone.

I actually wrote an article on this subject this week. The support of loved ones is very important in an anxiety sufferer's recovery. That's why I would suggest you find some information materials which explain what anxiety disorders are without too much detail and present this to your loved ones. You could arrange a 30 minute meeting with them one weekend and give a small presentation on the subject (of anxiety and medication), telling them beforehand that they can ask questions when you are finished.

Tell your loved ones too how much it upsets you when they tell you to "snap out of it" etc. Be completely honest in a calm and decisive manner, and you might be surprised about their reaction. Give my arranged presentation/meeting idea some thought.

NixonRulz
05-10-2013, 07:21 AM
People that do not have this disorder have a very difficult time understanding what you are going through

I completely understand why they do. They get stressed and it goes away then comes again and goes.

Hard to wrap your head around it when it comes and never leaves.

An easy way to better explain what you are going through is to email this forum link to your family

They can see other people explaining how screwed up they feel and just being told to toughen up doesn't work

Medication is probably way over prescribed but it is so necessary for many just to get their brain leveled out

Whether that is temporary or permanent, it works.