PDA

View Full Version : Hi- I' m new and looking to talk to people like me

11emerald22
05-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I have an anxiety problem and am about to start my journey of recovery! This is my first time using a forum or chat-room type website, but I thought it would be a good place to perhaps find support from people who actually understand what living with anxiety is like!

If anyone has any advice or guidance they could give me, or tips on how to recover I would sincerely appreciate any help you could give me!

Thank you :)

Hemispheres
05-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum!! Iam new here too. And glad i have found this site. I have found lots of peopke here with the same anxiety as me. I hve gad... Generalized anxiety disorder. And depression. I sometimes have anxiety in crowded places as well. Snd start to feel panicy. I realized i needed help about 5 years ago and talked with my doctor ( physician) snd she put me on cymbalta and trazadone (insomnia). Amd its been working pretty good. Tho lately i feel like i have been relapsing and may need to bump up my meds or add xanax or valium. I also have been wslking alot. Which seems to help a little.
What kind of anxiety do you have? Have you talked with your doctor about how you are feeling? There are many on here that can help snd are very supportive! You are not alone. Thats why i came here, to feel comfort and talk to people that actually lnow exactly what you are going through.
Take care :-)

shaikhrahuf
05-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Hi guys..
Am here with generalized anxiety, firstly talk to ur doctor about ur anxiety, note down each and every detail when ur about to get anxious, like y its happening, jot down d reason and then rationalise it, is it really necessary to get anxious abt wht u r thinking or abt ur thaugths..
Secondly go for some nice breathing exercise and counselling which is helping me a lot, keep urself busy and challenge the anxious thaugts, its hard bt not impossible.. have a healthy diet keep ur brain moving like a train and keep urself engaged with some work..
U r nt alone its we the family over here..

Hemispheres
05-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Yes you are very right. I think i will start a journal to note what iam feeling. And the reason why it happens. Yes, true being active and busy in some way does help me somewhat. At times, i try to go for a long walk with my dog. I go real early in morning so theres not so many people out. (That sometimes makes me nervous) but i do feel a little relief afterwards. And also, along with taking my meds at the same time everyday ive noticed a difference. I have an alert reminder on my phone to take them at a certain time.
And this site is wonderful!! Iam very glad i had found it. And theres people who feel the se way as i do. And iM not afraid or ashamed to talk about my condition.
Thanks a bunch!! :-)

Lin
05-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Dear Hemispheres
Really pleased you have joined the forum and have Private Messaged you back so we can talk about our personal problems together.
Hope we can help each other.

Lin

11emerald22
05-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Hi Hemispheres,

Thanks for your lovely message :) It's nice to know you are not alone in this! Well, I think I have had anxiety for about 6 months, but I kept on putting off really telling people, taking it seriously, or going to the doctor because I didn't want it to become 'real' and I didn't want people to think I was being over the top or dramatic- but I have made a doctors appointment for tomorrow morning. Apparently I can have counselling/therapy or go on medication... I think therapy might be better as its a mental thing? What do you think?
I am a confident, outgoing person 95% of the time and don't know what on earth brings my anxiety on...but when I have it I feel helpless like I'm being suffocated! Do you ever feel like that?

I feel like my anxiety is illogical; I did a presenting gig last week in-front of a huge crowd which most people would find very daunting but I had a mild case of butterflies at best!--However, 3 days later, the prospect of getting the train home from Uni TERRIFIED me and I burst into tears! Or in a restaurant with me family, fine one minute-then I'm being strangled by irrational fear and panic just grips me!! I feel like I'm being ridiculous!

Do you have any idea what your triggers might be? How long have you had GAD and depression for? My Mum has depression and she says that walking does help her alot too :)

Hope to hear back from you soon :)

Emerald

Hemispheres
05-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Hi emerald :-)
I have had depression and anxiety since I was 13. I am the youngest of 4 ( 2 step brothers n a sister) my real mom was never in the picture( drugs and a lot of deep depression sh had) no one talked about her for years, till I was 19 and found out she had gotten murdered, stabbed 36 times by a guy she had just met!! That still is with me ( ESP since it was just Mother's Day was Sunday :-( ) i had lost it completely!!!
My step mom was real controlling when i was lil, she would beat us all (ESP me bc I was the youngest) and when I had gotten older, she would talk bout me with friends and put me down :-( I had always compared myself to my beautiful older sister, who had perfect skin and was smart. I had felt at 13 I would end it all. But somehow, got thu it.
And now along with a boyfriend who emotionally abuses me ( like in past it's all coming back), and work issues..... ppl trying to get me fired!! And guys talking and putting me down too!! I feel so alone.. Iam a bubbly, positive person. Perhaps bc iam the only female. And if a female shows strength, men get upset. ! Iam at an all time low and feel that my worlds spinning.... I seen my doctor yesterday and she had takin me out of work for a week. Because I can barely get out of bed/ go to public places without feeling panicky and my chest hurts and palms are sweating.
Yes!! I had felt the same way, I felt as tho ppl would think "I'm dramatic" or crazy!!! And afraid noone would understand or listen. And yes, now my doctor says I need to see a physiatrist because my issues are still ongoing. Which is giving me panic feelings!!! To talk to someone who's staring at you, feeling as tho judging. And just telling me how screwed up iam!!! I'm scared!!!
Yea, I think after all, yea it is mental and possible with help it will help you be yourself again. For me it needs to be both. (Meds and talking to a counselor)
And yes,,, me too!!! Iam usually bubbly-out going person. But lately just suddenly changed. Omg,,, yes I feel suffocated. As tho I can't help myself and don't know what to do!
Omg,,, great you did a presentation! That's a huge thing. I could never, I mean never could get up there. I barely got thru school because I would avoid ALL work that had me go upfront in front of people. I get real shaky... You are very brave, I congratulate you!!!! And admire that! :-)
Hmmm, you felt terrified on the train? Yea, there's definitely something behind it as to why you felt so terrified. And in restaurant, hmm, maybe it was really crowded and noisy? Sometimes just random noise and a lot of different talking gets to me. I feel on edge and "feel closed in" "suffocated". And I tend to fear the worst in situations... That's the GAD. I constantly worry, worry. I worry bout my grama. I worry bout if i park too close to another car. It's soo over whelming... I can't stop. It's a daily struggle.
You, know my grandma had depression and her dad too (he committed suicide at age 65) I believe it's hereditary. Maybe sounds like gad also. I looked up gad and a lot of it matched up to how I was feeling. My doctor said the only meds that help with depression/anxiety n the worrying.
Does you mum have general "down feeling" depression. Or possibly something to trigger it? Does she experience same things you do?

Feel free to MSG me whenever, it seems like we have somewhat the same type of feelings/disorder.
Be well, :-))
Jennifer

11emerald22
05-14-2013, 05:32 AM
Hiya Jennifer,

I've just read through your message... I am so sorry for the hard life you have had, my own problems are dwarfed by your troubles! I'm so sorry about your Mum and stepmum, that must have been awful! Are you close with your brothers and sisters? (I am one of four too!) It is only natural to look up to older siblings, I myself admired my older sisters academic brilliance for writing which I could never match up to! But looking at your picture you are beautiful yourself and have perfect skin by the looks of things too! :)
At 13 years old that is a mountain of issues to carry on your shoulders- but I salute you for what you have accomplished; a relationship, a career and the courage to tackle your anxiety and depression. Perhaps the origin of your anxiety and depression are easy to identify, but maybe you should try and focus on one problem at a time so it doesn't become over-whelming?
- The boyfriend; can things be resolved? Is this just a rough patch you're going through?
- Your job; if people are trying to get rid of you at work for no apparent reason, I would bet good money it boils down to jealousy! Have you spoken to senior management?

I spoke to my doctor this morning and I have now been put on a 4-6 week waiting list for counselling for anxiety, although I said I didn't want medication, I still have my diazepam tablets should I need to take them. I have going to have CBT courses, which apparently are very useful. I have had a good anxiety-free few days, although this morning I just found out I got rejected from this work experience placement I have 99% sure was mine and it would have meant the world to me. I've just finished about 3 hours of crying and venting to you now lol!

I don't have depression, although my mum and both my sisters have before. I do think we both have GAD- although I think my case is alot milder than yours :( I am fine 6/7 days a week.... but once I do have an anxiety episode, it it hellish and to me feels very intense.
Can you tell me 5 things in your life you are really happy with? I'd be very interested to know!
(I'm sure you have alot of things going for you one of which being the fact that you live in NY!! I went on holiday there for a few days when I was younger and thought it was amazing! I think you live in the coolest city in the world :) )

Hope to hear back soon Jen!

Emerald

suzie f
05-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Wow can I sure relate to all I've read! I'm so sorry for your struggles and I think there are a few choices but we each have to find our own journey.

My depression led me to suicide, my anxiety was through the roof and my panic attacks made me a prisoner in my own home for about a year. My heart goes out to you all. I had a lot of work to do regarding my childhood and I'd though I'd dealt w/it but often times something would pop up and I'd have to do a bit more work. I guess things are revealed when it's time to deal with it!

I'd totally changed my life through nutrition (i try not to do sugar or too much caffeine), I hike as I love being in nature and it was away from people, so that worked for me, and also yoga helped and I learned how to slow down my breathing and heart.

I know it sucks living with all the mental health struggles and I have for most all my life.

The greatest help was going on "Emotional balance Kit". It is a supplement that's all natural and it has totally changed my life! Seriously, it's amazing! I love that it's natural, I love that I am drug free, and no longer dealing with the side effects of RX that about killed me, and I love that today I can participate in life with little (at times) to no fear!!!

You can google it but the doctor at diverticulitisinfo.com was SUPER helpful and nice!! She totally understood all that I was going through!!
Honestly, I have been DX w/so much stuff and since I have been on this stuff I feel like I have none of the DX and the doctors are too influenced by the big pharma industry!!! Everyone wants a band-aid and that's what the doctors are trained to do.

I wish you all the best of luck and hope you find what works for you!
I know I sound like a commercial but those products changed my life!!

Lin
05-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Just seen a nutritionist and he recommended extra D3 and a new anti inflammatory tablet called Solgar 7. Expensive herbal tablets, but willing to try if going to help! He said should help with hormone problem and knee problem, and if go back in3 months he will try to help with head problem. No hard sale, and I didn't buy anything on the day but waited few days to decide. Only been on tablets about a week so not noticed difference yet, but hoping. Will try everything suggested at moment to get through this nightmare.

smurfychris
05-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Hiya and welcome to the forum, well I've dealt with severe anxiety/panic attacks since I was about 17, it does get better, I would say the most important thing is to find that fight within yourself, refuse to let it beat you, it will knock you down, but keep coming at it, you will beat it, I'm almost there and it's been a long journey. If you have a situation where you feel like you could become anxious or even have a panic attack try and put a positive spin on things, I think the hole anxiety thing gets our brain to think one way, negative about everything, with time an effort I believe this can be changed to positives. Also like you have already started, talking to people about it is soo good for us, it really does help.

Lin
05-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Yes talking to people who understand is one of best possible ways to help. I found I missed talking to the people after finished a NHS course so next week i am starting a peer support group in the evening with the help of the mental health forum because only one group at moment which is in the day so no good if you work or at school/college. Hoping it is successful and excited about doing it and looking forward to getting help from the members of the group and me help them too.

Hemispheres
05-15-2013, 05:39 AM
Wow can I sure relate to all I've read! I'm so sorry for your struggles and I think there are a few choices but we each have to find our own journey.

My depression led me to suicide, my anxiety was through the roof and my panic attacks made me a prisoner in my own home for about a year. My heart goes out to you all. I had a lot of work to do regarding my childhood and I'd though I'd dealt w/it but often times something would pop up and I'd have to do a bit more work. I guess things are revealed when it's time to deal with it!

I'd totally changed my life through nutrition (i try not to do sugar or too much caffeine), I hike as I love being in nature and it was away from people, so that worked for me, and also yoga helped and I learned how to slow down my breathing and heart.

I know it sucks living with all the mental health struggles and I have for most all my life.

The greatest help was going on "Emotional balance Kit". It is a supplement that's all natural and it has totally changed my life! Seriously, it's amazing! I love that it's natural, I love that I am drug free, and no longer dealing with the side effects of RX that about killed me, and I love that today I can participate in life with little (at times) to no fear!!!

You can google it but the doctor at diverticulitis.com was SUPER helpful and nice!! She totally understood all that I was going through!!
Honestly, I have been DX w/so much stuff and since I have been on this stuff I feel like I have none of the DX and the doctors are too influenced by the big pharma industry!!! Everyone wants a band-aid and that's what the doctors are trained to do.

I wish you all the best of luck and hope you find what works for you!
I know I sound like a commercial but those products changed my life!!

Hi suzie!!

That is interesting what you have mentioned about nutrition. I may look into that further. Ive always been interested in healthy, natural diet. Yes me too i have struggled all my life ( since13) im 35 now. And alot of it is caused by my childhood (step mom beating me and would put me down emotionally)
. And have started walking more with my dog. Just to try relax and breathe... And think everything will be alright. Everything will be ok. I have been listening to some meditation music too. I find it relaxing.
Thats soo great you found something that has worked for you!!! Congrats! I admire your strength and dedication and to do something for your problems. And to not let it get the best of you. Just to "kick anxiety/depressions butt!!!"
I love everything natural and i may look into this. I think i may still need my rx pills unfortunately. But i would not want to take them forever. And this may be an alternative. Its natural so it couldnt hurt trying!! Im going to look it up now :-)
How long have you been taking these for? What did you have? Depression/anxiety?
Be well
Jen

Lin
05-15-2013, 10:45 AM
I saw a nutritionist recently and am trying some new tablets called solgar 7 which are natural and meant to help with all your joints etc. Nutritionist also reckoned would help my gynae problems because help with inflammation etc - so giving them a try - will try anything.

Just realised, mentioned this earlier in thread! Wish I could concentrate!!!! Blame it on the tablets!