PDA

View Full Version : So I practicied exposure therapy today over my obsessions...

mglover92
05-08-2013, 10:50 AM
So I have a fear of never getting better and taking my life. (pretty stupid I know) Anyways I practiced some exposure therapy today. I had a knife with me, held it in my hand and thought negative thoughts to see if it would trigger anything...and folks...literally I felt nothing. Didnt even feel scared.. I didnt feel crazy, or sad, i didnt even get a fast heart rate from it. No anxiety was present. Is this a good sign or am I doing something wrong? I also learned ti accept my thoughts and that seemed to actually make the obsessions die down.

mglover92
05-08-2013, 10:52 AM
ok now im getting shortness of breath thinking thats its weird i didnt get anxiety while doing that excercise! Keep it mind I actually felt a little bit recovered before doing the exposure therapy and sort of felt it wasnt necessary.

NixonRulz
05-08-2013, 11:32 AM
You didn't panic because you were prepared to panic.

You went there to see if you would and you didn't

It's the fear of your thoughts or physical symptoms that get the ball rolling.

I loved doing that and going places where I would panic away. Always hoping for it

Stop fighting and it quickly loses most of its power

mglover92
05-08-2013, 11:36 AM
You didn't panic because you were prepared to panic.

You went there to see if you would and you didn't

It's the fear of your thoughts or physical symptoms that get the ball rolling.

I loved doing that and going places where I would panic away. Always hoping for it

Stop fighting and it quickly loses most of its power

so would you say that today was a success?

NixonRulz
05-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Reading your story, I would say absolutely a success

Any step in the right direction, no matter how big or small, is always way better than going backwards

alankay
05-08-2013, 01:50 PM
In time you'll learn just because you anticipate problems/anxiety it doesn't mean there will be. After you see that usually it's never as bad as you thought you'll see why you should not pay much attention to these thoughts and understand they'll be there at some level, but they won't bother you nearly as much. IHMO. You'll realize you're scaring yourself and that will help. It will becomes less of a monster of sorts. Alankay