PDA

View Full Version : today sucks already, vent

hellokatiecat
05-07-2013, 06:04 AM
I woke up this morning planning on talking to my mom about my social anxiety issues that I've been having. I told her about the forum and how I've been trying to cope. I've been letting her know for a while but she just disregards it and says I'm just being a teenager. This morning she just kept comparing me to other people's trying to make it seem like everyone feels the way I do. It really stressed me out that she doesn't understand something's wrong. It blew up a tiny bit and she was talking over me trying to shoot down all my reasons. I just started to cry and I had to walk into my room. I got in there and just broke down crying. She kinda realized what I was doing and kept asking me to come out and hug her goodbye before work. I wasn't comfortable showing her how much such a little disagreement upset me. But she finally got me out and she kept hugging me and telling me sorry and that she was trying to help. I just feel like a weirdo after all that. I think she kind of realizes a little better. But now I'm crying and freaking out, I know I made her feel bad about it. Shes got anxiety herself, I feel super bad that all of it happened, and now I'm just sad that it has to be like this period.

NixonRulz
05-07-2013, 06:37 AM
That truly sucks for you. I understand how difficult that is. Most of us have had the same trying conversations.

What jumps out at me about your story is that your mom has anxiety, yet still tries to tell you it is something different.

Being a parent, one of my fears is that I will pass this on to my kids, and one has shown signs that he at least as the tendency in him.

Perhaps your mom is trying not to see what she has feared as you were growing up. You're telling her its here, and she is trying not to believe it.

Understandably so. If you have anxiety, no one would ever want to say their child with it.

What is even worse is when people that do not suffer from anxiety seem to know it all how they could fix you by telling you really wise things like "man up" or "pull it together". Or even better, " just stop focusing on that"

Oh, it's that easy. Thanks for healing me, Einstein.

Whatever support you need, you will find here.

Lots of gat advice and the stickies are a great place to start.

Learn about anxiety and you can get it easily under control

You are so young. Just the fact that you have already recognized that you have anxiety and you are looking for help shows me you won't deal with this very long.

At your age, you should be driving your parents nuts, not letting something inside of you drive you up a wall

New day. New attitude. Big hug to mom. Enjoy life.

Easy plan, right?

hellokatiecat
05-07-2013, 06:54 AM
That truly sucks for you. I understand how difficult that is. Most of us have had the same trying conversations.

What jumps out at me about your story is that your mom has anxiety, yet still tries to tell you it is something different.

Being a parent, one of my fears is that I will pass this on to my kids, and one has shown signs that he at least as the tendency in him.

Perhaps your mom is trying not to see what she has feared as you were growing up. You're telling her its here, and she is trying not to believe it.

Understandably so. If you have anxiety, no one would ever want to say their child with it.

What is even worse is when people that do not suffer from anxiety seem to know it all how they could fix you by telling you really wise things like "man up" or "pull it together". Or even better, " just stop focusing on that"

Oh, it's that easy. Thanks for healing me, Einstein.

Whatever support you need, you will find here.

Lots of gat advice and the stickies are a great place to start.

Learn about anxiety and you can get it easily under control

You are so young. Just the fact that you have already recognized that you have anxiety and you are looking for help shows me you won't deal with this very long.

At your age, you should be driving your parents nuts, not letting something inside of you drive you up a wall

New day. New attitude. Big hug to mom. Enjoy life.

Easy plan, right?

Thanks for the advice and the positive words. I appreciate that you took the time to help me look at the situation from a different point of view. And, yes! So many times people have told me to "focus on something else instead." More learning to come for me. You are awesome!