PDA

View Full Version : afraid of epilepsy

Jeordie
08-01-2007, 12:09 PM
How annoying it is to always have new symptoms to be worried about. I just want to leave my life, peacefully, without concerns....

Lately I have different symptoms, but my main concern is this: I still didn't find a conving explanation of why my vision is funny and I have a feeling of strangeness at times, and since it often happens when I'm in front of a screen - computer or tv or games - I am afraid of epilepsy or some condition to the brain. How can I distinguish electrical charge of the brain caused by neurosis and a real illness?

The feelings are also so weird, and bad. First I have a feeling of tension that begins from the neck and involves facial muscles. I don't know how to call this feeling. It's like electricity moves around throughout my face. It's between tingling and muscolar tension, like my muscles have been tight for ages, and are now relaxing. It's what I would expect would happen if I'd hold my fist for a hour, and then slowly reopen my hand. Kinda like that.

I thought this could perfectly be just anxiety, vision tiredness (since I work hours at the computer), or cervical tightness (muscles).

When I have this, I have other strange things that worry me. I can't see and hear well. That's when I think it's something neurological. When it's the ears turn, I can hear, but it's like I'm too sensitive to the sounds and I try not to hear anything, almost like it could hurt. When it's the eyes, lately it has happened almost every day: my vision is strange, blurry, I can't see well. It's all a genereic discomfort in the whole head: muscles, eyes, ears. Also the mouth is involved sometimes: I have sudden burst of thirst, or my mouth gets watery.

It COULD be anxiety. If so, it sucks. I'd like to know the opinion of some of you. Can somebody relate?

But what doesn't sound like anxiety to me is this: lately, I have discofort when watching a screen.
If I'm playing a videogame, sometimes in a section where my reflexes are involved, I feel suddenly so funny I just need to stop. It's kinda like I'm going to blackout, faint, or lose balance on that moment. Again my ears or eyes may work strange. That's what I'm afraid is a sign of epilepsy.

Today I actually went to buy a new tv. I was walking around these tv screens and when there were sudden flashes of light, I would get that feeling again. It's authomatic. I didn't faint, I didn't have a seizure, but I couldn't watch the screens at that point. Watching them thereafter felt uneasy.

Hope somebody can help me with this!
Thanks!

dorigen
08-04-2007, 07:06 AM
You are probably experiencing two things: Unreality and Muscle Tension, two symptoms of anxiety. Staring at one spot for a long time (i.e. computer screen or tv, etc.) can cause your surrounding to seem unreal. Try holding your hand about 6-8inches in front of you, pick one spot to stare at, try not to blink too much, and continue for a minute. You will feel out of it, weird, and your vision will get funky. Also, i don't know anyone who doesn't feel like a complete zombie after staring at a computer for a few hours straight. It's pretty typical. These feelings of being "out of it" are called unreality.

Second, you probably have tension in your neck and face from anxiety or concentrating very hard. This can cause your hearing and vision to change. I've done yoga moves before where I've put tension on my neck and all of a sudden i couldn't hear anything! Freaky! Anyways, after dealing with anxiety for a while, i know that the tension can cause hearing/vision weirdness. Believe me, I've noticed some weird stuff before that hasn't happened since i've been recovered.

Don't[ worry about epilepsy unless you have a real seizure. You are likely just experiencing anxiety symptoms which are unpleasant, but not harmful.

Jeordie
08-04-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks for that. I didn't have those symtoms the last two days (had others). It's interestinf about the yoga...I was thinking of trying it out...hopefully I won't experience hearing loss, though!