PDA

View Full Version : Possible addiction (not drugs)

nancyga2013
05-05-2013, 09:14 PM
So I have noticed this alot in my life and I am not sure if its due to anxiety or ocd but I feel like i'm possibly addicted to buying new things. Like when I feel depressed I want to go and shop and it does not necessarily have to be a particular item I just want to shop and when I do I feel better for a little while!! And that is really hurting the piggy bank and I feel bad after I buy things. I'm not a hoarder or anything but I feel like it gives a release and I really need to find something that will provide a release that does not involve spending money. I don't know if anyone can relate but this is just really bothering me.

Judie
05-05-2013, 10:27 PM
I think all addictions are an attempt to self soothe from drugs to alcohol to food to shopping, yes shopping. Addictions sadly only temporarily soothe us and later individuals are left with an empty bottle,unwanted pounds or a bag of new clothes and a hefty credit card debt. This is just my opinion but I think people who suffer from addictions and most of us suffer from one or another are trying to avoid the true problem with a temporary fix. Choosing a drink, a drug, a piece of chocolate cake or a new dress is certainly more appealing then confronting a demon. I mean all of the above addictions will allow us a temporary escape even a sense of fulfillment that perhaps we can't find anywhere else. Would be a great solution if there wasn't the rebound effect of perhaps Rehab ,Cirrhosis, obesity, debt or countless other inflictions. But perhaps the worst scenario is that the Demon, the catalyst, you're attempting to avoid with addiction is getting Bigger and Bigger and Bigger because in avoidance you feed the demon.There are no temporary fixes in life. Face your Demons and in doing so you control them, they don't control you.

missmello
05-06-2013, 06:43 AM
I know how you feel. Shopping, buying something new, that makes me happy too! But I have heard stories of shopping addiction, so it is a real thing and can become a problem. Try finding something else that makes you happy. Exercise releases happy hormones! Or maybe you like to read? Try finding a different outlet.

lsapphirel
05-06-2013, 04:21 PM
It doesnt help with online shops too. I am addicted to shopping, and so what i did, bring only enough to spend for that day in cash, no cards allowed. Or, instead of buying for my self, i buy for the whole family, the daily needs. I was full force on shopping at one point. My husband kept asking me to slow down. Id buy anything, books, shoes, dress, belts. Only, im drawn to the sign -> SALE<- it was pretty bad during nov, dec and jan because even online are having sale. I slowed down a lot now because i dont have much time. My kids are taking all my time and i slept through most of the time. That saved my husbands pocket.

Lin
05-06-2013, 09:14 PM
This time during my depression I have become obsessed with things and have to buy or get anything I can relating to it.
My psychiatrist recommended meditation so I joined three groups, dropped to two now - christian and buddhist. I buy all the books about it I can, download all the information I can, and I try to meditate at least 5 minutes a day, but I can't take in the books yet as not reading during the depression. So keep obsessively buying the books in the hope I will be able to read it in the future.
Anything anyone mentions might help me get through this nightmare, I have to buy as much about it as possible and I can't stop until I have it otherwise it plays on my mind.
I think I just hope that any bit of advice or help I get from something I buy or get helps me even in a small way it is worth the money or effort to get it.
Luckily a lot of what I download is free from the internet so just books which I have to buy and can't download which are expensive but spent a fortune on jigsaw puzzles addicted on and now a swing seat because think it will get me in the garden for the first time in 2 years!
So yes, quite understand your obsessive buying, me too this time!