PDA

View Full Version : afraid of being in the house alone?

wilkin129
07-29-2007, 10:46 AM
anyone afraid to be in the house without their safe person,i have 5 dependant children but it doesnt matter if they are all in i dont feel safe unless hubby is in anyone relate to this thanks sue

Music_lover
08-05-2007, 10:42 AM
i usually do feel safe alone in my house. i enjoy it a lot of hte time because i have parents that are always on my case. however, i have days where i can't stand to be here alone. everynight, i get scaredf being in the house cause it feels like i'm alone with everyone sleeping. if it's coudy and the house is dark and i'm alone, i get very scared. even when the lights are all on. i only feel safe when my mom comes home.

grasshopper
02-04-2008, 05:10 AM
anyone afraid to be in the house without their safe person,i have 5 dependant children but it doesnt matter if they are all in i dont feel safe unless hubby is in anyone relate to this thanks sue

I use to be. With my nephews and nieces I found that I was more anxious then usual because of the noise and activity. It took me a couple of weeks but what worked for me was 1) joining in with kids (you can't panic when your laughing) and 2) only live one minute at a time. That means forget the last minute forget the next minute just this minute now. I started looking at the clock every 5 minutes and slowly the day would go by and I only looked at the clock around nap times etc. Also call someone (if you have time) the catch is don't talk about your anxiety. My friends usually know these moments and are forbidden to talk about anxiety or what I am trying to do at that moment. I don't know what coping strategies you are learning but there are heaps out there. Keep looking til you find one for you.

agoraphobia
02-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi,

My wife is a part of my safety zone, so she pretty much stays with me. We purchased a cell phone, and with this, she can do some things, because I know I can call her if I need her to come home. She is very understanding, and we have been married for 25 years, and 23 of those years I have been agoraphobic. The only draw back is that she can't work because of me, and therefore has no medical insurence.

Another part of my safety zone is I have to live close by the hospital. Just knowing that it is real close by gives me a false sense of security.

I just thought I would shre this.

Restless
02-07-2008, 04:43 PM
I know what your talking about. Alot of people enjoy being at home alone for some "me time". But I hate it. I seem to get more stressed out and wonder if something happens to me will anyone know. My wife is also my safe zone. When ever I start feeling the panic and anxiety coming on, if I here her voice it make everything disapate. I also am a Firefighter/Paramedic, so the stress levels sometimes spike when I'm at work. My anxiety also tends to increase when a stressor is placed on me. For the past few weeks it has just about driven me nuts.

jonnypc123
03-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Yes i get very anxious and panicky from time to time when i'm alone. The best thing to do is self-talk. Like you probably tell yourself "What happens if i panic and im alone" or "how can i go a whole day being alone". Tell yourself when u think that "If i panic while im alone i can do deep breathing, go with the feeling and call your safe person". Their are a lot of things like deep breathing, exercise and self-talk that can help you if you do them over and over again over time. I'm not saying it's going to work every time but if you take small steps, like one day be at home for an hour alone and so forth. But also remember you can have set backs and they are, unfortunately, apart of anxiety. Biggest thing to always remember "The feelings and sensations of anxiety are not dangerous".

The Melody of Rain
03-24-2008, 12:12 PM
This is something I never get. Chiefly, the majority of my panic occurs while I'm out walking or when I'm in a place I know I cant leave for a particular amount of time.

I have no problem leaving the house to get something because I know I'm in complete control. If I panic, I can get to a toilet cubical somewhere and assure myself or I can sit in the park. I can also leave for home, but I dont like to do that. To me it ushers forth an air of failure that resides for days afterwards, or until I can relax outdoors once again.