PDA

View Full Version : I hoping this is the right spot...

Not At The Disco
05-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Hello All,
Via a bit of web surfing I've found myself on this forum. Based on the few threads I browsed it appears that this is a "safe" and supportive community. My story, at least when I summarize it (not when I experience it, at least all the time) is relatively simple. I had my 1st panic attack in my early 20's, another stint during a breakup, and now as a proud husband and father in the "perfect" job, my Panic disorder has returned - I'm a creative, perfectionist, someone who internalizes and pushes forward not paying much attention to those silly things called emotions. Well, it's caught back up with me and I'm back to searching my soul for some relief...

Like many of you with a Panic condition, I had a major flare up (I thought was linked to Sinus infection...) in early January which, again like most of you, I spent weeks and many $'s trying to explain away with the right medical condition (infection, vestibular, ER visit for apparent heart attack, chest XRay, CT scan, MRI...). I called up an old friend, my therapist, about a month ago and we've been trying to get to the root cause. I've learned, once again, that Panic is my body saying, "time for a mental and physical check-up." So, more exercise, little/no alcohol, reduced caffeine intake, more vitamins/supplementals and more reflection. One thing, frankly, in light of the duration and severity of my anxiety, that I am considering is using medication (Lexapro, Generic/Camber) to help "take the edge off." At this point, I'm averse even though I have a 30d supply as well as some Valium and Xanax that I received during my ER/Urgent Care carnival rides.

So, I think I'm also a mediphobe (sp?)...But, then again, I'm not sure. Did anyone ever find themselves in a similar situation? Did you eventually start the prescription? Was it helpful? In the end, I am afraid of "losing control." Ironic, since that's why I am here in the 1st place.

Be well...