PDA

View Full Version : Second opinion

mellymel
04-29-2013, 02:16 PM
So...I have scheduled an appointment with another psychologist for may 15th because I'm still harboring my fear of....yup....SCHIZOPHRENIA! My doc I am seeing says it doesn't fit, that I don't have schizophrenia, and that I have hallucinations and weird thoughts from years of childhood trauma, and then the recent trauma I experienced a year ago with my daughter. They are psychotic features, unfortunately, but again she says it's from trauma. But I can't except it, so I'm going to see another doc because I'm am convinced I'm in the prodromal stages of schizophrenia. I just can't shake it. I don't know of this is the right thing to do or not, seeing another doc. At this point I wonder will it even help ease my mind. Or am I adding fuel to the anxiety fire? Any thoughts?

jessed03
04-29-2013, 02:26 PM
I totally think it's the right thing to do. As long as it's a reputable doctor, which I'm sure it is, I can't see it hurting. Don't let them give you that 5 minute diagnosis they seem to like doing now, make sure you push your history onto them if they don't listen. I'm sure they will though.

Let me be honest, having met many Schizo's (of mild to severe variety) your posting style and personality style don't seem to fit the mold for that illness. Having read most of your posts, I think the hallucinations based on trauma diagnosis to be a pretty damn accurate one. You're clearly holding a large degree of stress and history of previous trauma. I can tell that from small segments online, imagine how prominent it must be in your psyche.

I would personally give up the search there, and look at ways I can recover from this PTSD style trauma, and get my mind fuctioning normally. I really believe strongly, that your doc is spot on with this. But there is no harm at all in seeking second opinions! It may help to relieve anxiety!

Don't take my medical advice as gospel, it's simply a case of me sharing experience. I don't have a great track record in healing people. That hobo I performed heart surgery on, never quite pulled through ;) hehe. But best of luck melly. Keep us informed on here, we're thinking about you!

mellymel
04-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks :) I don't understand where this fear came from and why it's bothering me so much but it does. I don't know much about this doc I'm gonna see, and I live in a small town so I'm hoping she is credible. Either way, I just hope it helps me. The thought of going to her is causing me a lot of anxiety because I'm afraid of what she might tell me, like yes I do have it.

princesskj
04-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Does it run in your family?

mellymel
04-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Does it run in your family?

I had an uncle who was supposed to have it, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Never heard of anyone else having it though.

princesskj
04-29-2013, 03:29 PM
I think it runs in families. So I think you are safe. My grandma has it I just found out a couple months ago. I'm scared of getting it too.

mellymel
04-29-2013, 03:34 PM
It does run in families but it can also be caused by environmental issues.

princesskj
04-29-2013, 03:41 PM
oh i didnt know that. i hope all goes well when you see the doc :)

princesskj
04-29-2013, 03:42 PM
im going to the doc Thurs to get blood work to see if there is anything causing my anxiety

mellymel
04-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Thank you, I hope it goes good for you too :)