PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety On Holidays

Kel
07-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Does anyone else get anxiety when on holiday?

I don't mean in terms of flying or being away from home - I think mine is more a fear of fear. Subconsciously I think that I am afraid of having an "episode" and this triggers the anxiety. I have had this several time on holiday, last year being the worst. I started feeling ill whilst on the plane - followed by a week of being sick, no appetite, early waking, heart racing, tingling arms etc. Eventually I felt better but it really spoilt the holiday.
I have had to put on hold booking this years holiday because I am not too good at the moment. I just don't understand it.

dorigen
07-27-2007, 09:20 PM
That is exactly what anxiety disorder is - fear of fear.

I would always get anxiety over christmas holidays when we would see family. I would get worried that I would get an attack or get anxious around my family and ruin the short time that i got to spend with them. Guess what happened everytime?

haha, of course, anxiety.

I try to expect it to happen. Instead of worrying now, i just say, "yeah, i will probably have an episode, oh well, i'll deal with it, it's no big deal". So that way if it does happen, i'm not so upset, but with this attitude, it's less likely to occur at all.

Also, I when I would start having bad images of myself being anxious, i would let them float away and think of having a good time instead. Not forcefully, but kind of like doing a happy what if, rather than a sad scary what if..