PDA

View Full Version : relaxation and guided meditation

missmello
04-25-2013, 06:04 PM
I went to counseling today and he suggested I do relaxation breathing and meditation 2x a day. Its best to do it in a quiet place, alone.. but I find I get too easily distracted and my mind starts wandering. So I tried searching YouTube, and came across some very helpful videos. The channel is called TheHonestGuys. Look them up, their videos are wonderful. Soothing music, sounds of waves, while someone verbally guides you into meditation. There are also videos where they repeat positive affirmations. Thought I would share this with you all, as I found it to be helpful for myself. I would post the link, but I am on my cell phone and am not sure how. Hope this is helpful to some! I really enjoyed listening to some of them, and will be doing it evey day.

Moonstone
04-25-2013, 06:54 PM
I love The Honest Guys on YouTube!!

Thanks for reminding me of them. I will watch them tonight, or rather listen to them. Very relaxing for sure

GreaT info!

Lin
04-25-2013, 11:34 PM
There are loads of free apps for meditation which you can download and some of them are really good. On your Ipod you can listen to them during the day when you are struggling at work etc.
Don't forget that there are groups around you can join too for meditation. I go to two groups - a Buddha one with guided meditation which the NHS mindfulness meditation is based on, and you don't need to become a Buddhist to get help from their teachings and meditation - and also a Christian group where there is a talk about meditation and god and then you have 20 minutes silence to think of a one word mantra. (Some groups, like the christian group is free, so does not have to involve lots of money.)
Both groups are very different religions, very different styles of meditation, but I find that I get head space at both and relaxation at both and I have also made some lovely friends at both, especially the Buddha group where other people with problems go too.
Just getting some head space and learning to relax in your normal life every day, even if for only a few minutes a day, and to be mindful about the way you are and act really helps with depression and anxiety.
I strongly recommend you have a go at whichever is easiest for you.

princesskj
04-26-2013, 05:12 AM
Lin I wish we had groups like that where I'm at. How do I find them? I've looked on the Internet with no luck

Lin
04-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Princesskj - The christian group i go to is run by The World Community for Christian Meditation - they have a website etc and you should be able to find out if there are groups in your area.
The Buddhist group I go to has its centre in Southampton and is Thekchen Kadampa Buddhist Centre - they have a website and if you contact them they might be able to put you in touch with a Buddhist group in your area. I have a friend who lives in Taunton and she goes to a Buddhist group there so there are lots around the country.

Hope this helps, if not, let me know which type of meditation you would like to try, or both, and where you live, and I will ask my local group people to help me find you where a group is in your area.

kat_777
04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Thanks, I'm going to try this.

Lin
04-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Good I hope it helps. There is no wrong way to do meditation, just the way it works for you, but if you just get a bit of head space and relaxation during the day it is worth it.

Dogtime
04-27-2013, 05:19 AM
Meditation and hypnosis are not the same, however from an inside personal experience they often feel the same. I've placed a couple of links below that will take you to a large selection of free hypnosis for relaxation recordings. You can listen on line or download. Hope this helps.

http://stevenluzern.com
http://stevenluzern.com/coffee_break_relaxation.html
http://stevenluzern.com/relax_away_your_stress.html