PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Imbalance or environmental influences?

DustingMyselfOff
04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
So why do some of us suffer so severely and for so long with panic attacks when others don't even know what they are? Are all anxiety issues related to either a traumatic event or a miserable childhood, or do some of us actually have medically-based issues? In other words, are there chemical imbalances or a "bad gene" in some of us that has caused us to have to deal with this?

I have tried "talking" to professionals several times over the years to see if I could get to the bottom of what's causing this but we never do. The only thing that ever helps is medication. My GP told me years ago that it was just a chemical imbalance and WAS a medical condition that needed to be treated with medication and I should compare it to a diabetic who needs insulin to function normally.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Do some of us truly suffer from a medical condition or is it all stemming from something in our subconscious? I've got to believe that, at least in my case, it is medical. I've been great for years on medication but when my thyroid went hyper a few months ago, the panic attacks returned full force.
Sue

alankay
04-23-2013, 02:14 PM
No question it's a tendency in our personalities. We are just more predisposed to anxiety. Factor in your experience(upbringing, etc) and any serious instances or trauma/abuse...you may develop anxiety.
For instance some war vets get PSTD(which is an anxiety disorder) while others in the same unit, even the next guy over, can go through it all(or even worse) and never develop anxiety. The later has no predisposition to it.
There is no question anxiety has a biological component and some day they'll know more for sure but for now, we have to accept that much of it. Alankay

DustingMyselfOff
04-23-2013, 02:37 PM
OK, I guess that makes sense.... it's basically a combination of both. I remember having tics and OCD when I was 6 years old so something was going on with me already at that age. Of course I got yelled at and humiliated for it so that led to a lot more anxiety. My first panic attack was at 16 and they've been with me ever since.

My mother was a very big "worrier" and instilled fear of life into her kids. She also started having panic attacks during menopause but didn't know what they were..... I'm just assuming that's what was happening. One of my sisters has had panic attacks but they pretty much only affected a year or two of her life. My other sister is the most high strong, type A personality of all of us and she has never had a panic attack. (shrug)

Do you feel there could be a chemical imbalance in our "genes" that pre-disposed all of us or do you think it can all be "talked" away with a good shrink? I'm willing to try again but the last two I went to didn't feel my panic attacks were going to improve without medication.
Sue

mglover92
04-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Anxiety is not a chemical imbalance. Its a behavioral disorder. If it were a chemical imbalance all these folks on pills would be 100% better but there not. Some say that anxiety can lead to a chemical imbalance but I disagree. I have yet to see real studies that show chemical imbalances in the brain to the result of stress. But honestly...who knows..we all know it sucks.

nf1234
04-23-2013, 07:31 PM
It can be both. Anxiety can surely be a chemical imbalance you are wrong on that mglover.

nf1234
04-23-2013, 07:48 PM
To produce certain feel good chemicals in the brain your body needs certain co factors. It is similar to a gasoline engine. You need air, fuel, spark, and compression to get a properly running engine. If you aren't getting enough of one of those things your engine will run poorly. The same goes for the body. We get these things from our diets in the form of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. For instance the amino acid tryptophan is found in many foods turkey being one of them. You need co factors such as magnesium, b vitamins, ect to convert this tryptophan into 5-htp which then converts into serotonin. Without all the necessary elements for this process the conversion into serotonin will not happen. This causes low serotonin levels in the brain which causes depression and anxiety among other things.

The same goes for Gaba, Dopamine, and other neurotransmitters in the brain responsible for things like anxiety. Pills help but don't cure the situation because they aren't the raw ingredients our bodies need. Anti depressants slow down the reuptake of serotonin in the brain so it kind of lingers there longer. But it does not make more serotonin which is way it doesn't work great for everyone. Tryptophan, 5-HTP, Sam-e, Vitamin D, Magnesium, ect. are all supplements that can provide a more permanent solution. Getting the right combination of factors which you are deficient in can help replenish the serotonin and other neurotransmitters in your brain.

So yes I believe anxiety is caused in some parts by a chemical imbalance due to a dietary imbalance. It is also fueled by our lifestyles and way of thinking. It is not either or it is both. For some it may be more one sided but the chemical aspect cannot be ignored.

DustingMyselfOff
04-23-2013, 08:48 PM
To produce certain feel good chemicals in the brain your body needs certain co factors. It is similar to a gasoline engine. You need air, fuel, spark, and compression to get a properly running engine. If you aren't getting enough of one of those things your engine will run poorly. The same goes for the body. We get these things from our diets in the form of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. For instance the amino acid tryptophan is found in many foods turkey being one of them. You need co factors such as magnesium, b vitamins, ect to convert this tryptophan into 5-htp which then converts into serotonin. Without all the necessary elements for this process the conversion into serotonin will not happen. This causes low serotonin levels in the brain which causes depression and anxiety among other things.

The same goes for Gaba, Dopamine, and other neurotransmitters in the brain responsible for things like anxiety. Pills help but don't cure the situation because they aren't the raw ingredients our bodies need. Anti depressants slow down the reuptake of serotonin in the brain so it kind of lingers there longer. But it does not make more serotonin which is way it doesn't work great for everyone. Tryptophan, 5-HTP, Sam-e, Vitamin D, Magnesium, ect. are all supplements that can provide a more permanent solution. Getting the right combination of factors which you are deficient in can help replenish the serotonin and other neurotransmitters in your brain.

So yes I believe anxiety is caused in some parts by a chemical imbalance due to a dietary imbalance. It is also fueled by our lifestyles and way of thinking. It is not either or it is both. For some it may be more one sided but the chemical aspect cannot be ignored.

Thank you... that was a very informative explanation and I agree 100%. I saw a nutritionist many years ago for something else and with the right combination of vitamins and minerals, the problem was resolved. I brought my children there several times and was always very pleased with the results.

I think it may be time to book an appointment with him - thanks for the reminder.
Sue

mglover92
04-23-2013, 08:53 PM

I agree with everything you said but I disagree with this one statement. Although serotonin levels may cause depression, anxiety is not the same thing and comes from 2 separate parts of the brain.

DustingMyselfOff
04-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Regarding SSRI's causing anxiety, the first 8 weeks on Prozac were pure hell. If I thought my life was miserable enough to drive me to finally trying it, getting through the acclimation was 10 times worse and I can't believe I managed to hang on and ride it out. Fortunately for me my GP (who I adore and trust with my life) warned me that once I started Prozac I would feel WORSE for a while but that if I could hang in there I would see the benefits. After about 6 weeks of hell I called and told him I couldn't do it anymore and he begged me to give it just a little more time... he prescribed Xanax to help me cope. Two weeks later I woke up feeing like a new person and I went about 20 years without a panic attack. This darned thyroid has set me off again.

So yes, meds that are meant to DECREASE anxiety sometimes increase it first. I have no medical or scientific knowledge as to how they work but I can't believe something that put me through such a myriad of awful side affects ended up giving me the life I had always wanted.

I am going to continue the Prozac but I am thinking of seeing a psychiatrist again to see if maybe there is something there that I haven't been able to find in the past. And I will continue to meditate and maybe see a hypnotherapist. And a trip to my nutritionist. I am very angry at my anxiety and I refuse to let it take my life away.... I will kick this in the butt, damn it!
Sue

Britney
04-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Sue I was the same with OCD at such a young age and later in life anxiety attacks began. I don't believe I had a terrible childhood that would cause OCD at the age of 5 but I believe I have always been an anxious person.also my mum is a serious worrier and I only realized this when dealing with my own anxiety and noticing her behavior more. I do believe a chemical imbalance plays a lot in this disorder as I have been panic attack free for a year until last week I had a relapse and attack at work. The weeks building up to this I had sleep paralysis nearly every night which I hadn't experienced in over a year and I read that this is caused by low levels of serotonin. It's seems all connected. And I haven't had a stressful time lately that would cause this. If anything, I have been really happy lately. I now have a relapse all of a sudden giving me major anxiety and fear to go to work :(

Lin
04-23-2013, 10:40 PM
We are so individual in what causes our mental problems. My depression and anxiety is always caused by hormone imbalance because of lots of reasons such as birth, miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, pelvic inflammation disease, and i get so bad i get suicidal so have to go into hospital.

However, i have never had any form of depression after anything else or take any meds between the bouts because of hormones.

I have lost both parents, dad when i was 20, mum when i was 35, lost my job once i liked because of illness, had a son bullied at middle school, and then him being so academic i have to keep him balanced and well, a husband with no confidence and always half empty so struggles every time he joins a new project which can happen at any time if project stopped or if some projects as short as one month, but i have never got depression or anxiety of any kind during these and other diiicult times. Whereas other friends have had depression after some of these things which have happened to them in their lives and have received treatments for years and years because of them.

So we can help, advise and support each other, but we are so individual we have to find our own ways out through whatever means it takes which we can afford or get access to.

ABJac13
04-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Anxiety is not a chemical imbalance. Its a behavioral disorder. If it were a chemical imbalance all these folks on pills would be 100% better but there not. Some say that anxiety can lead to a chemical imbalance but I disagree. I have yet to see real studies that show chemical imbalances in the brain to the result of stress. But honestly...who knows..we all know it sucks.

This is an ignorant post. Anxiety is an absolute chemical imbalance, and this is not an opinion, it's a well documented fact. The complications with environment are more complex. A hormonal imbalance doesn't have to be something you are born with, it can develop and that is where environment plays a role. During specific years of developing, your brain is reacting to things and building context, my doctor explained it like this to me "when you were a kid, you were essentially short circuited. To many things were forced into something that couldn't handle it" and this alters the way your brain interprets and reacts to everything permanently. Now when you add the fact that some people are born predisposed to have hypersensitive personality or heightened awareness, this usually leads to the worst anxiety . The point here is anxiety can be hormonal and behavioral. It can be genetic or from experience, or it can be any mix of the above. If it was strictly behavioral medicine wouldn't have changed my life.

-A

DustingMyselfOff
04-24-2013, 10:02 PM
This is an ignorant post. Anxiety is an absolute chemical imbalance, and this is not an opinion, it's a well documented fact. The complications with environment are more complex. A hormonal imbalance doesn't have to be something you are born with, it can develop and that is where environment plays a role. During specific years of developing, your brain is reacting to things and building context, my doctor explained it like this to me "when you were a kid, you were essentially short circuited. To many things were forced into something that couldn't handle it" and this alters the way your brain interprets and reacts to everything permanently. Now when you add the fact that some people are born predisposed to have hypersensitive personality or heightened awareness, this usually leads to the worst anxiety . The point here is anxiety can be hormonal and behavioral. It can be genetic or from experience, or it can be any mix of the above. If it was strictly behavioral medicine wouldn't have changed my life.

-A

:D

Love it! May print this and carry it in my wallet!
Sue

Lin
04-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Yes chemical imbalances in the brain can cause all sorts of mental health problems and can be caused by many different reasons. That is why we are so individual in the we react to therapies and tablets.

ABJac13
04-24-2013, 11:04 PM
I've dealt with so much and have dealt with being a neurotic my whole life, and there is certainly a organized chaos to everything. Some people will be sure it's all in your head, or that it's lack of religion or discipline, others will think you are crazy or weird, and those are all the people who have no idea what it's like to walk in our shoes. Haven't you noticed people with anxiety tend be very nice and the lease judgmental. At the end of the day, accept that it's part of you, but understand you have the power to control it, and figure out what the best way to do it individually. And when it all feels like its to much just remember, you've done it before and it passes, maybe not for good, but hold on to the great moments for when the bad come back.

"Sometimes the silence drowns out the noise, and I can just feel rather then think"

-A

mglover92
04-25-2013, 01:26 AM

-A

Please don't call my post ignorant. I was not being ignorant and was being very respectful and stated my opinion on the subject matter. I have never once insulted anyone on this board and have only been helpful and tried helping people. All I am saying is NOBODY can open up your head and study your brain chemicals and tell you what your short in. Its all guessing on the doctors point of view. Many people have cured their anxiety by not taking pills to increase their serotonin or dopamine and so on. So to say its an ABSOLUTE chemical balance is not true and its not always like that all the time. People act like anxiety is 100% well documented, 100% fact a chemical imbalance which is bogus and a way for companies to sell you their drugs.(they have to make their profits somehow in the long run) Having a brother who has been on Prozac and Zoloft and a mother who has been on zoloft for pretty much forever I have seen what happens when you stop taking them or dont have access to them. In my opinion I think people rely on them to much. If it helps them though then fine...I just hope they are practicing other techniques with it to help them when they are not taking it. There are also other ways to balance out your hormones in your body that doesnt involve having to take pills to fix everything. Their is a 100% raw foods diet. Fruits and Vegetables that can boost mood. These foods can increase serotonin naturally AND balance out the hormones. Exercise also helps dramatically..Even people who have suffered from clinical depression cured themselves just by taking vitamin D...There are tons of stories about it...my point is its not always brain chemicals and people should think before choosing drugs because it might not be necessary;

Lin
04-25-2013, 02:25 AM
I think it is a shame that we are all getting caught up in the style of writing which Panic Cured has started on this Forum. No need to call anyone ignorant etc, lets just give our opinions as we see them and allow others their own. We are here to help each other, and it is up to individuals if they want to take your advice or believe it.
Please can we get back to being civilised in our responses as it was when I first started in February. We need to be kind to each other, we have enough to put up with just getting through the days with our heads as they are!

alankay
04-25-2013, 04:50 AM
Yepper. Alankay

ABJac13
04-26-2013, 08:59 AM
I think it is a shame that we are all getting caught up in the style of writing which Panic Cured has started on this Forum. No need to call anyone ignorant etc, lets just give our opinions as we see them and allow others their own. We are here to help each other, and it is up to individuals if they want to take your advice or believe it.
Please can we get back to being civilised in our responses as it was when I first started in February. We need to be kind to each other, we have enough to put up with just getting through the days with our heads as they are!

I agree, it's just difficult when people make assertions that belittle something so uncontrollable. It's offensive to here someone say its all behavioral and we can just change if we want. But my apologies for getting defensive.

mglover92
04-26-2013, 10:59 PM
I agree, it's just difficult when people make assertions that belittle something so uncontrollable. It's offensive to here someone say its all behavioral and we can just change if we want. But my apologies for getting defensive.

Then why have myself and other people cured their panic attacks without pills? Your acting worse than me and blaming brain chemicals for everything. Not everyone needs to get take pills to cure their problems. Yea it does play a part but not EVERYONE has a chemical imbalance. Im not sure why you are having a hard time understanding this. Why do you think anxiety sufferers constantly post they have seen improvement throughout the day WHEN FACING THEIR FEARS. NOT WHEN POPPING A COUPLE PILLS. I never said its 100% behavioral either but it plays a part and so does the CNS that is in constant fight or flight mode. But the brain plays a part and exposure therapy to what people are afraid of works wonders and helps create new positive thoughts for anxiety suffers. When you conquer your fear that makes you anxious you are no longer scared and it tells your brain and CNS to calm down there is no danger! Here is my example. Its like when you are younger and you fall off your bike for the first time. When you go to ride the bike again your scared! Why are you scared? Because you think it could possibly happen again and you could fall and hurt yourself. The difference for anxiety sufferers is that fear is 10 times the normal limit and thats where the adrenaline kicks in. Your brain took that event and put the label "fight or flight mode." In order to get the brain back to normal you need to heal the nervous system and then learn therapy techniques. One of my favorites being exposure therapy to what causes you fear.

ill end my replies right hear and we can just agree to disagree. I hope original poster makes whatever decision she has to to get better.

ABJac13
04-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Then why have myself and other people cured their panic attacks without pills? Your acting worse than me and blaming brain chemicals for everything. Not everyone needs to get take pills to cure their problems. Yea it does play a part but not EVERYONE has a chemical imbalance. Im not sure why you are having a hard time understanding this. Why do you think anxiety sufferers constantly post they have seen improvement throughout the day WHEN FACING THEIR FEARS. NOT WHEN POPPING A COUPLE PILLS. I never said its 100% behavioral either but it plays a part and so does the CNS that is in constant fight or flight mode. But the brain plays a part and exposure therapy to what people are afraid of works wonders and helps create new positive thoughts for anxiety suffers. When you conquer your fear that makes you anxious you are no longer scared and it tells your brain and CNS to calm down there is no danger! Here is my example. Its like when you are younger and you fall off your bike for the first time. When you go to ride the bike again your scared! Why are you scared? Because you think it could possibly happen again and you could fall and hurt yourself. The difference for anxiety sufferers is that fear is 10 times the normal limit and thats where the adrenaline kicks in. Your brain took that event and put the label "fight or flight mode." In order to get the brain back to normal you need to heal the nervous system and then learn therapy techniques. One of my favorites being exposure therapy to what causes you fear.

ill end my replies right hear and we can just agree to disagree. I hope original poster makes whatever decision she has to to get better.

You are talking about phobias not panic disorder. Panic disorder is far different from general fear. People who get really worked up over a fear aren't having a 'traditional' panic attack. By definition a panic attack has no trigger and comes from nowhere, and way to many people associate just getting really on edge with a panic attack. Panic attacks send you to the ER, panic attacks don't have a warning, they don't get better from exposure because you can't expose yourself to something that's not real. As for people with generalized anxiety and sever phobias, they aren't having panic "attacks" they are just having situational panic and its much different.

DustingMyselfOff
04-28-2013, 10:51 AM
You are talking about phobias not panic disorder. Panic disorder is far different from general fear. People who get really worked up over a fear aren't having a 'traditional' panic attack. By definition a panic attack has no trigger and comes from nowhere, and way to many people associate just getting really on edge with a panic attack. Panic attacks send you to the ER, panic attacks don't have a warning, they don't get better from exposure because you can't expose yourself to something that's not real. As for people with generalized anxiety and sever phobias, they aren't having panic "attacks" they are just having situational panic and its much different.

Amen. i get so frustrated when I hear the term "panic attack"over-used and/or used in the wrong context. Most people have no clue what a genuine panic attack is, fortunately for them.

manz82
04-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Panic attacks actually don't come from nowhere. And they don't necessarily mean a trip to the ER. My first ever panic attack had me cowering in my bed - shaking uncontrollably, sweating, nauseated, heart pounding, dizzy - but I knew on some deep level that I wasn't going to die, although it certainly felt like it at the time!
Once you tune in to the whole panic/anxiety thoughts and feelings it is so much easier for you to become susceptible to more. The trick is to not over react to them. Don't add fear to the fear. Believe me, it works!

DustingMyselfOff
04-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Panic attacks actually don't come from nowhere. And they don't necessarily mean a trip to the ER. My first ever panic attack had me cowering in my bed - shaking uncontrollably, sweating, nauseated, heart pounding, dizzy - but I knew on some deep level that I wasn't going to die, although it certainly felt like it at the time!
Once you tune in to the whole panic/anxiety thoughts and feelings it is so much easier for you to become susceptible to more. The trick is to not over react to them. Don't add fear to the fear. Believe me, it works!

I've been trying that with my latest challenge.... driving on the highway. Luckily for me this round of anxiety is only manifesting itself in that one area of my life and it is self-induced. I was on the highway a few weeks ago not feeling well and thought to myself, "Well at least I don't have panic attacks anymore, that would be horrible!" And of course I brought one on. Now everytime I force myself to get back on the highway I fear another and of course I have one. I'm fighting it..... I'm trying to tell myself when I feel one coming that it is MY choice if I have one or not, so if I have one then it must be because I want to. That has been stopping them so far, but I haven't ventured out on a long road trip yet. At this point it's still exhausting to fight even the short ones.
Sue

Lin
04-28-2013, 12:37 PM
I had a panic attack at work once and they had to call my Dr into work. I had to use the paper bag over my nose and mouth to calm down with the Dr's help. I can't remember what triggered it but it was during a bad time in my life, but my medically trained GP called it a panic attack and got my breathing back to normal to stop it. At one stage he thought he was going to have to take me to hospital because I was hyperventilating from it.

mglover92
04-28-2013, 01:00 PM

Well said bro. No hard feelings.

ABJac13
04-28-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm not trying to be an ass or cause problems on the forum, I've just had panic disorder for a long time now, and I've had panic attacks so strong I need to be sedated in the ER because to much electrical activity in my brain, and I've had panic attacks cause me to stop my car on the highway and get out. I understand there's different levels of attack, but the term and usage of panic attacks is way overused. In the years ive had panic disorder, I've had hundreds of episodes where something triggers anxiety and causes me serious mental stress and the stress feels overwhelming and scary, and I've also had hundreds of panic attacks and the two are very different. I will argue it until the day I die, you can NOT just stop or abate an attack. I've spent my life dealing with anxiety, stress and panic on a daily basis and trust me when I tell you I'm used to it and very very good and fighting the anxiety, but I've never had a panic attack I was able to control, so for people who can control there so called panic attacks, chances are that's not a real panic attack, it's just really strong anticipatory anxiety or situational anxiety. You lose all ability to reason in an attack, your only thought is self preservation of life, you have no mental capacity to think rationally and stop it, your only thought is to save yourself from the scenario in your head. An attack is a normal reaction in your brain happening way out of context and 100x stronger then it should. You have to option during one, ride it out or Medicate. The response in a panic attack is more primal then any other instinct we have, I would give anything to be able to just think them away.

mglover92
04-28-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm not trying to be an ass or cause problems on the forum, I've just had panic disorder for a long time now, and I've had panic attacks so strong I need to be sedated in the ER because to much electrical activity in my brain, and I've had panic attacks cause me to stop my car on the highway and get out. I understand there's different levels of attack, but the term and usage of panic attacks is way overused. In the years ive had panic disorder, I've had hundreds of episodes where something triggers anxiety and causes me serious mental stress and the stress feels overwhelming and scary, and I've also had hundreds of panic attacks and the two are very different. I will argue it until the day I die, you can NOT just stop or abate an attack. I've spent my life dealing with anxiety, stress and panic on a daily basis and trust me when I tell you I'm used to it and very very good and fighting the anxiety, but I've never had a panic attack I was able to control, so for people who can control there so called panic attacks, chances are that's not a real panic attack, it's just really strong anticipatory anxiety or situational anxiety. You lose all ability to reason in an attack, your only thought is self preservation of life, you have no mental capacity to think rationally and stop it, your only thought is to save yourself from the scenario in your head. An attack is a normal reaction in your brain happening way out of context and 100x stronger then it should. You have to option during one, ride it out or Medicate. The response in a panic attack is more primal then any other instinct we have, I would give anything to be able to just think them away.

God bless ya man. Seems like u been through alot of shit. What meds are u on now and how do u feel about 5 htp?

DustingMyselfOff
04-28-2013, 02:51 PM

You are absolutely right . . . the episodes I'm having on the highway these days do cause me to pull over for a few minutes but they are by no means anything like the horrible incidents I had before Prozac. I remember being 16 and going out of my mind so badly (and couldn't tell anyone in my family) that I called the ER room to ask if a 16 year old could check herself into the psych ward. i remember a few years later being so freaked out by one that i was curled up in a ball in the fetal position on the floor of a car. And I can remember being at the office and knowing I was losing my mind, found an empty office and called my doc's office saying I needed help immediately because I was losing my mind and dying, and the receptionist told me to go home and take a hot bath. (that was about 30 years ago when most doctors were clueless as to what panic attacks are. And since we didn't have internet and Google back then I spent most of my time in libraries trying to find out if anyone else had what I had.)

You are right - genuine panic attacks are in a class by themselves, and I am thrilled to say I've only had 2-3 since I went on Prozac. Thanks for clarifying it.
Sue