PDA

View Full Version : What does caffine/sugar do to you?

Music_lover
07-20-2007, 09:35 AM
When I drink pop or coffee sometimes I get very shaky and nervous. My heart starts beating faster like I've been running, I feel dizzy/lightheaded, my legs are wobbly, and I fear I might pass out.

My question is what does caffine/sugar do to you? Does it happen all the time? Or, is it like me, only sometimes? It happens because of the mixture of anxiety and caffine/sugar, right? Anything I can do to help these feelings, in case I somehow can't avoid getting caffine/sugar?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for reading this.

-Holly

Job_314
07-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Hello Holly, when my anxiety first started (a month and a half ago), I wondered the exact same thing! The exact same thing happened to me, and it really contributed to my anxiety.

I'll explain it... Caffeine increases your heart rate, and can contribute to panic attacks, because you think there's something wrong with your heart. The truth is, Caffeine has always done that (increase your heart rate), you just didn't notice it until now, because you're anxious and worry/pay attention to every little thing that happens with your body (usually an after-effect of your first panic attack).

So, don't pay attention to it, Caffeine won't do anything to you. Same goes for Nicotine. I don't know if you're a smoker, but it increases your heart rate aswell. The shakiness in your hands is caused by the anxiety, you get nervous, shakiness is common when people get nervous, so that's all you... not the caffeine.

So, if it worries you... stay away from Coffee, pop, and cigarettes and that should help. It's just your anxiety. Caffeine is the most widely abused drug on the face of the planet, and nobodies been hurt from it yet... so, just remember nothing bad can, or will happen to you :)

Send me a PM or something if you ever need anything, or want talk to about it.
-Austin

imported_admin
07-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeap...same thing happens to me if I drink a lot of coke. Makes my anxiety feel worse. I think it is better to avoid it :)

doingmybest
09-05-2007, 06:42 PM
This happens to me too. Caffeine makes my chest feel tight sometimes. Especially if I starting really thinking about it. Some times I'm fine with it and other times I can't tolerate it.

dorigen
09-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Caffeine makes me crazy...

Sugar makes me crash later. I avoid them both, and feel good.

bio
09-06-2007, 11:08 PM
mine is contrary to the popular belief that coffee is bad for GAD sufferers.

i do drink coffee daily at moderate amount though, a cup or two is enough. to me, it's normal if not better. nevertheless, do refrain if possible.

cheers

IWasAnxious
09-09-2007, 04:01 AM
Refined sugar should be ditched by people suffering anxiety. Refined sugar is in 99% of processed food out there, so my ditching it you end up eating a much healthier real food diet.

I tried to do the same with coffee over the years but I can't quite kick the habit as sometimes I just need a little lift to get going. However, I am very careful with it and if I feel fluttery with coffee I eat something and drink lots of water to try and flush it out.