PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety

andyw
04-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Hi guys,

Ive been reading the forums for the last 2 weeks or so but havent posted yet.

Im suffering really bad health anxiety at the moment specifically about having a heart attack or stroke....

I got so panicked last thursday my auntie called 999 as i was sure i was having a stroke. They did 2 ECGs, blood sugar, blood pressure and all was fine.

I am overweight but have lost about 26lb so far. I went to the dr today and was told im very low risk of heart problems as im only 23! However, it doesnt seem to sink into my mind.

I have positive moments however my thoughts overule them and i spend each day worrying and give myself a constant tight chest and palps!!!

I do not want this to take over my life however its bloody hard when im plagued with bad thoughts about health all day. The only relief i get is when im asleep!!

Any advice would be appreciated thankyou and good luck in all your journeys!

Andy

princesskj
04-15-2013, 08:23 AM
This sounds like me! I been to the ER twice in four month thinking I was having a heart attack but what I keep fearing is when I'm telling myself no its just a panic attack it could really be a heart attack and I'm doing nothing about it. I also have the fear of stroke because with my anxiety my face gets numb and my vision gets blurry. Panic attacks are very scary This forum really helps because we all know what each other is going thru

MrsJ88
04-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Right there with you two... I have been to the ER numerous times panicking but thinking it was a heart attack. I've even been to a cardiologist and had a full routine check done and my heart is find but why do I still worry about it daily?! Ugh the life with anxiety!

Judie
04-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Andy's, First and foremost you are NOT going to have heart attack and in fact you are going to learn how to cope with your anxiety. Heart Attacks act very different then anxiety attacks. Deep breathe for a few minutes, breathe in through your nose for a count of 4 seconds and slowly ( don't blow out the air) release the air through your mouth to a count of 4 seconds. At 23 your odds of having a heart attack are next to none, buy a lottery ticket instead your odds are better. Now let's calmly think about this if these attacks were heart related they wouldn't eventually end , as they always do would they ? No. Muscle tightening in the chest is a prominent system of anxiety, try a little muscle rub to relax the tissue...calm yourself with the thought hat if this were heart related this wouldn't help BUT it will. If your heart races ( always with anxiety) it simply reflects your body's reaction to the fear...nothing to worry about at all. To slow your pulse splash very cold water on your face or take your index and middle finger and gently press on your carotid artery on the side of your neck like Oympic Skaters do before they go on the ice ( they aren't taking their pulse they are slowing it down because hey are anxious ).Now you may try these techniques and become impatient, remember it takes a little time for these to work. Instead of thinking OMG this isn't working, trust your DRS and trust me it will pass. Focus on something, doodle a quick picture of a man walking a dog..send it to me :) Once you master breaking your train of thought you become one with your anxiety. You become so familiar with it that you become nonreactive. Hang in there ! I think the worst thing about anxiety is how depressed it makes us feel. Change how YOU feel about anxiety.

Judie
04-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Well I do have high blood pressure an I am on meds for it . You can imagine how I feel when my arm becomes weak, my vision blurs and my speech slurs but there are many ways to talk yourself through these episodes. First, dismiss the idea that it is a stroke or a heart attack, they do not come and go. Take your left hand and squeeze your right hand hard, now reverse..you will see that you are equally strong with both squeezes ( not true with actual strokes). Raise both arms above you head toward the sky..you are fine. Work on changing your thought pattern during an attack, learn to master how quickly you can abort the attacks. Do a project that requires concentration. Snap a rubber band on your wrist, this sends a pain receptor message to the brain and causes it at that moment to focus on that rather hen the response to fear. Hang in there !

sharacel91
04-21-2013, 11:16 AM
I am only 21 and I fear the same. Having a heart attack is my worse fear ever I get random stabbing pains in my chest racing heart palpertaions pains in my arm the list goes on :( it's destroying my life I have a son who is 2 and a partner who is supportive but I try and hide it from him incase he gets angry and doesn't understand. A few times I've rushed to the drs because I've had chest pains. I have had blood tests done and a ECG a year ago and all came back fine! I wish I could have my old life back all this started out of the blue about 6 months ago :( I feel for you all who suffers from this anxiety

andyw
04-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks for responses.

Im trying to get there and have been pretty good last couple of days as my mum has been here.

Im absolutely terrified of being alone :(

Im going to beg my dr to send me to cardiologist for full testing. I could hopefully forget about it then.

I pray i/we can get over this as im so depressed and have now lost my job due to being unfit to do it.

Good luck to everyone in their journeys

leetbulldog
04-22-2013, 12:25 AM
I'm going through what you are.. It really sucks..
All ask The Lord to really help me out with all this mayhem.. Hang in there sweetie.. I feel you.. I want my old life back.. I'm only 27! we shouldn't be going through this smh :( why us!!!??