PDA

View Full Version : treatment options

doingmybest
07-17-2007, 07:34 PM
After several years of trying to figure out what is wrong with me (MS, Parkinsons, heart problems, back problems, etc.) my doctor(s) have given me a clean bill of health. I am really happy about this but I still suffer from extreme shakiness at times and chest tightening. The problem is, neither of the two doctors I've seen will consider anxiety. They just have told me I'm "fine."

But I don't feel fine. Sometimes I get so nerved up it is hard to come down. Anyone have any advice about getting diagnosed with an anxiety problem? Who do you see, GP or psych? For once I wish that someone would take me seriously.

Can anyone relate?

imported_admin
07-17-2007, 07:43 PM
thats weird, Doctors are normally quick to diagnose people with anxiety when they cannot find a problem. I would advice calling a local anxiety clinic, and have a chat with them. They normally talk to you on the phone first, to find out what your problems are. Then they can determine if you are a candidate for CBT or other therapies they may deem suitable.

Let us know how you go!?

Foxfire
07-17-2007, 08:44 PM
thats weird, Doctors are normally quick to diagnose people with anxiety when they cannot find a problem.

I must confess I never found this to be the case. My doctors (and there were a few) kept putting me through the ringer with conventional tests, even AFTER i had suggested to them that it could be anxiety. I guess it all depends on the GP that you're seeing. I agree though, call an anxiety centre or if you can't track one down yourself, INSIST to your doctor that they advise you on what and where to go next. We are paying these people money for their help after all and they SHOULD be providing us with a service for that money. It continues to amaze and alarm me at just how many of us on this board were not treated well by GP's.
Cheers,
Foxfire