PDA

View Full Version : Urgent! Strange noise in head

lexa
04-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Hi
Has anyone ever heard a snapping noise in your head as you are dozing off. It sounds like cheap fireworks. This just happened to me and now I'm
Afraid to fall asleep

princesskj
04-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Yes that's happened to me! It's more and likely anxiety. You'll be fine ;)

lexa
04-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Thank you so much for responding. I felt real good all and I didn't even need my Ativan
Then this happens and I never heard anyone
Mention that here.
It is hard to tell if it is anxiety or side effects
This is insane... How do you know if it is a real
Emergency or not

princesskj
04-07-2013, 10:45 PM
This happened to me like 2 months ago (the popping noise) and at the time my sisters friend just died of an anurismn . So I was really scared I had some vision problems where I couldn't see for like 20 mins it was like seeing spots for like 20 mins straight so I went to the ER they thought I may had a stroke they did a MRI of my brain so no stroke or anurismn. But the popping noise did scare me to and I was googling and found it was a symptom of anxiety

PanicCured
04-08-2013, 02:14 PM
There is actually something called, Exploding Head Syndrome. No Joke! You can look it up and see what causes this. I have felt this, like a massive explosion in my head as falling asleep then I wake up. Also I have felt it as if I smashed my head into a glass window. It is really weird. I don't think this is anxiety exactly but I don't think it's serious. I mean, what does that mean anyway, "caused by anxiety". Weird falling asleep symptoms happen to me when my brain is too active before falling asleep, and it's like my body wants to sleep but my brain doesn't so there is a conflict. Reading before bed used to cause weird falling asleep things for me. Also, it's partly kind of a dream as you wake up you realize there was no explosion or fireworks and your head is just fine.

PanicCured
04-08-2013, 04:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

Exploding head syndrome is a form of hypnagogic auditory hallucination in which the sufferer sometimes experiences a sudden loud noise coming from within their own head. The noise is brief and is usually likened to an explosion, roar, gunshot, door slamming, loud voices or screams, a ringing noise, or the sound of electrical arcing (buzzing).

The cause of the exploding head syndrome (EHS) is not known, though some physicians have reported a correlation with stress or extreme fatigue. This condition has also been linked to rapid withdrawal from certain prescription drugs such as benzodiazepines and SSRIs.[3] The condition may develop at any time during life and women suffer from it slightly more often than men. It is more common over the age of fifty, although it has been reported as young as age 10. Attacks can be one-time events, or can recur with attacks increasing or decreasing over time, sometimes with no incidents over long periods of time.[4]
The mechanism is also not known, though possibilities have been suggested; one is that it may be the result of a sudden movement of a middle ear component or of the eustachian tube, another is that it may be the result of a form of minor seizure in the temporal lobe where the nerve cells for hearing are located.[4] Electroencephalograms recorded during actual attacks show unusual activity only in some sufferers, and have ruled out epileptic seizures as a cause.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/23/exploding-head-syndrome-tips_n_1167768.html

http://www.sleepassociation.org/index.php?p=explodingheadsyndrome

As exploding head syndrome is not dangerous, and does not have a drastic effect on sleep, many individuals do seek help for their symptoms. It will first be necessary to consult with a doctor regarding your sleep and medical history to ensure that what the individual is experiencing is actually exploding head syndrome and not something else. Similar experiences have been known to be brought on by certain medications or drugs.

One medication that has been used to treat exploding head syndrome is clomipramine, a tricyclic antidepressant.

JAug
04-09-2013, 09:30 AM
I get this too.

It is likely due to pressures within your throaght, nose and eyes balancing as you become more relaxed.

Harmless.