PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

m@rk
07-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi,

I'm usually a fairly happy 19-year-old guy who has a positive outlook on life.

However, since May I've been on holiday from university and I don't have anything to fill my time with (confidence issues mean I'm not keen on getting a job and I don't really have any friends), leaving me quite bored. This has allowed my mind to wander and start worrying about really stupid things.

For example, I'm worried about dying. But not years and years away...I'm talking in the near-future in some sort of accident, or (an even bigger worry) of some medical condition. The worry isn't related to what death involves as such, but what it would be like for my family. This then causes me to feel upset.

Other worries stem from things I watch on TV or read on the internet. A couple of months back during the course of my daily Internet surfing, I stumbled across a recording of a 1980s drama called "Threads", which showed what would have happened to the UK in the event of nuclear war. Now I'm scared that there will be a nuclear war sometime soon and the effects will be as they were depicted in this drama.

I tried the "worry sheet" idea and that did work to a point, but it's got to the stage where my mind now dwells on that fact the sheet is little more than that - a bit of paper with worries written on it. The actual worries themselves haven't gone away.

I do have quite a lot to look forward to in the coming weeks and months and when I think about those events, it cheers me up...but then the worry starts to kick in again, centred around "I could die before then" or "I could die on the journey there".

In past years when I've had long breaks, I've filled them with outdoor activities, but the weather recently has been dreadful and I've been stuck indoors.

I'm confident that once I'm back at University in September, my days will again be full and my mind won't be able to wander. But until then, can anyone advise me of ways to either stop worrying, or to occupy my mind?

Apologies for the long post. Thanks for "listening" and thanks in advance for any responses.

imported_admin
07-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi M@rk,

It really sounds like you need a hobby/interest to take your mind off things. If you spend too much time infront of the computer you will go crazy :)

You know what your interests are...you should do a search on the net for hobbies/sports/things you could do in your area. Once you find yourself an outlet that you enjoy, I am sure life will become a lot better. And hopefully your mind won't have as much time to think about negative situations...such as nuclear war :P

Take care
Admin

m@rk
07-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi Admin. Thanks for the reply.

I know that I really should get a hobby. My main interest is actually cycling and that's what I normally fill my summers with (trying to beat my person best times, distances etc.) but this year the weather has been so bad, I haven't been able to do it.

I think what I was looking for here was re-assurance that there's nothing wrong with me other than boredom.

Someone else I mentioned this to put forward another idea - that my life is too perfect at the moment, but it's human nature to worry about something, anything. So my mind is throwing up fundamental human fears - death, destruction etc - for me to worry about.

"Talking" about it helps. So again thanks for taking the time to reply :)