PDA

View Full Version : Hello NixonRulz - Neck and head tension

indiana
04-07-2013, 04:14 AM
I love your posts
You write that you WERE king of head and neck tension. How did you get rid of them? I find it extremely difficult. The more it bothers me and I think about it (it is difficult not to) the more tense I get.It is now affecting my jaw. I know it is anxiety but that makes no difference .How to get out of vicious circle? It seems like eternal punishment - always reminding you that you are anxious.
Thanks

NixonRulz
04-07-2013, 05:15 AM
I was indeed the king of those things and I have not dealt with it for years.

I really feel your pain with this. Wen your back, continually hurts, it can be miserable.

I was watching 20/20 years ago and they had 3 people on with horrible back issues and they had tried everything. One was ready for surgery and was essentially in a wheel chair.

A Dr. Spoke with them for a short period of time and it showed them a few weeks later and the woman was jogging! That's right, you read correctly. He spoke with them.

His name is Dr. John Sarno (sp?). He practices I believe at NYU hospital and not some quack.

What he essentially explains is people carry their stresses in different areas. Lower back or the upper, neck and jaw area. You are blessed with the latter!

The book I read was "The Healing Back"

Short and very eye opening and only like$12.00. I would have paid anything to feel better after so many failed healing methods

It's worth the 2hours to read It really changed my life.

I hope you get past this soon.

indiana
04-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks

Desperate as I am I actually bought The Mindbody Prescription by Sarno. I have not read it thoroughly but it did not really say what I should do. Maybe I should try again or buy "The Healing Back" (I have sworn that I was finished with self help books).

I know I have (old) emotional problems and there always seems to be something wrong somewhere in my body (that is why I have anxiety). Never really feel good. So I believe maybe it is a psychological problem which is stuck in the jaw and neck. I get massage once a week and even if the masseur says that I have gotten a lot better and almost all my knots are gone I know I tense my muscles every day and all the massage in the world would not change that.

Probably best to find a (good) terapist. They don't grow on trees however and cost a mint.

Thanks for your support

NixonRulz
04-07-2013, 10:49 AM
My pleasure and I hope you find your way.

I truly believe that feeling that is so much of a habit that you expect to feel, do most often do.

There is no one out there that could convince a person with anxiety disorder that the mind/body connection doesn't exist.

jessed03
04-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Indiana!!! Long time, no speak :) I hope beside this anxiety, all is well with you and the family. After one year, you must have no ego at all now, right? :)

It is disappointing that anxiety is being so stubborn for you. Nixon will offer great help though. I'm kind of semi-retired from writing long posts, but my young rock'n'roll replacement here will do an ever better job than I do. Hehe.

Let me tell you a quick story that demonstrates Nixons above posts. Two weeks ago, I had a very bad cold, and so I went to the supermarket to pick up some soup and some fruits. Inside the store, I met my good friend I've known for years. I wasn't feeling good, and I didn't want to talk, I felt very bad, but I felt it was too impolite to ignore her.
We exchanged greetings, the 'Hi, how are you's and the 'So what are you getting here's... It became like ping pong, bouncing things off of each other, asking how work is, and how the families are.
After 15 minutes, she told me; 'I'm very sorry Jesse, but I really don't feel up to talking today, I have a very bad cold and intended to get home very quickly'

We had been talking for 15 minutes, when neither of us wanted to, and I had this realization why...

Habit, and social conditioning! We are trained to believe, consciously or subconsciously, that we have to behave or do things in a certain way. I realized this doesn't just extend to social manners either, it applies to all aspects of our lives. We form habits inside our body of tensing, of accumulating stresses. We make habits of breathing incorrectly, we make the mistake of getting stressed out by things, just because others do. We even make habits of making errors regarding the perspectives we hold of thoughts and feelings.

I also had these problems you had, long after was extremely anxious. I had symptoms of anxiety, long after my mind was calm. Simply because my body was in the habit of being anxious. I would wake up, and it would be like my body was having panic attacks, yet inside my mind, I felt good, calm, peaceful and happy.

The process of emptying out is very long, and can be difficult. To eliminate these habits, you must also concentrate on the habits existence inside of your mind. What is truly causing this to happen? Where does the mental habit of stress lie? Solely in the body? Just in the mind? Both? Once you know this, the process of changing this habit can begin. I had to embark on a long process of relaxing my body, even after 2 years of psychotherapy. Thankfully there are good books and programmes to do this for people, such as you are already doing, and such as Nixon has posted.

But you should aim for a place not of mental calm, but mental emptiness. Mental calm can be disturbed if monsters are hiding under the bed and they are woken up. When you have mental emptiness, nothing can disturb you, you are unreactive. There is nothing in there to become disturbed or disrupted :)

It's a journey, but we will help you get there!

NixonRulz
04-07-2013, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE="

But you should aim for a place not of mental calm, but mental emptiness. Mental calm can be disturbed if monsters are hiding under the bed and they are woken up. When you have mental emptiness, nothing can disturb you, you are unreactive. There is nothing in there to become disturbed or disrupted :)
[/QUOTE]

This is actually the best I have seen this explained. Easy to understand.

locksey
04-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Indiana!!! Long time, no speak :) I hope beside this anxiety, all is well with you and the family. After one year, you must have no ego at all now, right? :)

It is disappointing that anxiety is being so stubborn for you. Nixon will offer great help though. I'm kind of semi-retired from writing long posts, but my young rock'n'roll replacement here will do an ever better job than I do. Hehe.

Let me tell you a quick story that demonstrates Nixons above posts. Two weeks ago, I had a very bad cold, and so I went to the supermarket to pick up some soup and some fruits. Inside the store, I met my good friend I've known for years. I wasn't feeling good, and I didn't want to talk, I felt very bad, but I felt it was too impolite to ignore her.
We exchanged greetings, the 'Hi, how are you's and the 'So what are you getting here's... It became like ping pong, bouncing things off of each other, asking how work is, and how the families are.
After 15 minutes, she told me; 'I'm very sorry Jesse, but I really don't feel up to talking today, I have a very bad cold and intended to get home very quickly'

We had been talking for 15 minutes, when neither of us wanted to, and I had this realization why...

Habit, and social conditioning! We are trained to believe, consciously or subconsciously, that we have to behave or do things in a certain way. I realized this doesn't just extent to social manners either, it applies to all aspects of our lives. We form habits inside our body of tensing, of accumulating stresses. We make habits of breathing incorrectly, we make the mistake of getting stressed out by things, just cause others do. We even make habits of making errors regarding the perspectives we hold of thoughts and feelings.

I also had these problems you had, long after was extremely anxious. I had symptoms of anxiety, long after my mind was calm. Simply because my body was in the habit of being anxious. I would wake up, and it would be like my body was having panic attacks, yet inside my mind, I felt good, calm, peaceful and happy.

The process of emptying out is very long, and can be difficult. To eliminate these habits, you must also concentrate on the habits existence inside of your mind. What is truly causing this to happen? Where does the mental habit of stress lie? Solely in the body? Just in the mind? Both? Once you know this, the process of changing this habit can begin. I had to embark on a long process of relaxing my body, even after 2 years of psychotherapy. Thankfully there are good books and programmes to do this for people, such as you are already doing, and such as Nixon has posted.

It's a journey, but we will help you get there!

Looooool..... What was u saying bowt long posts :-p