PDA

View Full Version : Genetics

Blessed
04-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Do You feel genetics play a role in anxiety depression and other mental illnesses? For example my grandmother used to be taken for electric shock treatments back during her child bearing years. May be a coinsidence but seems that as a result most of her children, she had 8, had some form of mental issues. Not retardation but just like they ain't quite right mentally. i hope this doesn't sound harsh I'm not trying to be at all. They just do and say things that are bold a d far fetched if u will. A few also have depressions and manic episodes. I look at this and it scares the life out of me wondering if it will pass on to me and my children. I am not judging them or making fun please don't take it that way.

Blessed
04-06-2013, 07:22 PM
She had her children back to back to back, maybe her body didn't have enough time to heal and have the needed nutrients, I don't know, just really concerns me. My mother seemed to be the most sain one of the family and her brother who had a different father. Just would like to know if anyone has seen this in their families

locksey
04-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Goin by my family its seems I'm the only one who has severe anxiety probs but think that's to do with childhood things 4 me

alankay
04-06-2013, 07:49 PM
I think there is a genetic link that makes you more prone too, not destined for, anxiety. I am sure someday they will find this to be true. I think if you are prone to it or have a rough childhood/abuse, etc, or high stress it can be brought about.
My Dad was bipolar and my Mom has some health anxiety but my brothers are fine....anxiety wise at least. Neuroscientists can't see how the brain works exactly. They can't get a direct measure on neurotransmitters like they can a broken bone. They rely primarily on theory which has its disadvantages.
Anyway.....just what I think. Alankay