PDA

View Full Version : Help putting thoughts into perpective?

defmunel
04-01-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm struggling with putting my thoughts into perspective, so if anyone would be willing to help I would appreciate it very much.

#1. Latest anxiety battle came after hearing my friend was diagnosed with skin cancer. I immediately RUSHED to the dermatologist where they took biopsies of several moles. All came back benign.

#2. I'm a very "superstitious" person. If I think it, I completely believe it'll happen. If someone says something, I believe itll happen to me. I'm always saying dont jinx it, or don't say it, or it'll happen to me. This one is a little hard to put into words.

#3. Since I wasn't diagnosed with skin cancer like I thought it was, I've now convinced myself I have some sort of cancer. My throat has been tight for 2.5 weeks, i have lumps in my throat, I have night sweats every night for the last week, random pains, weird bowel movements, ringing in my ears for the last 4 years....

#4. One thing I am doing right is not googling. I won't allow myself to do it. Sometimes I'll pick up my phone to type something on google, and somehow I have the willpower to stop. Maybe it's just that I don't really want to know. Nevertheless I'm not doing it.

#5. I battle these thoughts 24/7. And I'm tired.

defmunel
04-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Anyone willing to give their 2 cents?

Brittany1995
04-01-2013, 09:10 PM
^ I have this same problem! Except its only with my brain! I always feel like something's wrong with it!! :(

atav
04-01-2013, 09:15 PM
All these thoughts are normal responses for people who suffer from anxiety. We're in constant "worst case scenario" mode of thought, and everything that happens to us or around us is met in a hugely reactive instead of proactive way, characterized by constant worry, panic and fear. We're wired to have negative thought patterns, and only through therapy (cognitive behavioral therapy is the anxiety sufferers go-to and usually most effective) can we learn to rewire our brains into having a more positive outlook and rid ourselves of the tyranny of anxiety and depression. But there's hope in recovery and I too have suffered from hypochondriasis, and finally being able to breathe again and knowing I could deal with what comes my way is very powerful; just as powerful as the negative thoughts I had before when I thought I couldn't.