PDA

View Full Version : e.d. recovery

jspunky
03-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Anyone have advice or experience with recovering from bulimia?

laurandisorder
03-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Yeah. I was diagnosed when I was 20. I made myself ill multiple times a day and wasted countless dollars on food. I used to know every public toilet in a 15km radius of my parents house. I spent 10 weeks inpatient trying to get over this very addictive and very deadly behaviour.

I don't think I'll ever be completely rid of the ghosts of the disorder, but I am now, 10 years later essentially recovered. I had help from a treatment team; psychiatrist, nutritionist and group therapy. But it is only when indecided to stop that I was able to break free.

My partner and I were house sharing and even though he knew the full extent of my EDs, (and so did my one of my housemates), I felt very ashamed as the people around me started to clock on to what I was up to. New Years Eve 2004/2005 I made the resolution to stop. I was only successful for about 6 months, but my longest record prior to that was 3 days. I relapsed a few times since I made the decision, but on the whole, I have been purge free.

I actually lost quite a lot of weight after I stopped bingeing and purging, so I had to be quite careful with my diet. Food actually went from an addiction to a source of fuel; no more, no less. It's a bit sad because I don't 'enjoy' food any more, but I am happier and healthier now.

Make no mistake. Bulimia can kill you. It eventually WILL kill you if you keep it up for long enough. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Use all the support you can get anti depressants have worked well for me, so has exercise which has allowed me to appreciate my body's strengths and positives, rather than what I considered its' weaknesses. I recommend a specialized psychiatrist who understands anorexia and bulimia as well as a nutrition team. Tell your parents or the people you live with so they can hold you accountable.

Even though purging is a true addiction - it releases the same endorphins as certain drugs. It can be overcome and only you can stop it. I wish you all the luck in the world. I wouldn't wish bulimia on my worst enemy. Take it one day at a time and make the commitment to change. You will see and feel the results.

Lin
03-31-2013, 02:44 AM
I have never had an eating disorder, but I eat for comfort so I put on stones when not well. Have lost 5 stones at least 4 times during my life but something bad always happens and I put it all back on. Shame because when at proper body weight my confidence is so much better. It is finding the triggers and getting over them with something other than food.

jspunky
03-31-2013, 04:40 AM
Thsnkyou:)

Nicolette
03-31-2013, 06:46 PM
I thought this meant erectile dysfunction when I first saw it. Uuups :) Your name is spunky too it made me think... hehe

Laura your post is really good and well done on getting better. I wanted to say you gave some really great advices. It really is so important to view it like an addiction. When you realize you are going through the same process chemically as drug addicts alcoholics and other addicts then you are in the right mindset. If this illness is viewed as just a habit or something stupid like that that I've heard people say, it makes it harder to find the mindset to get better. My cousin has a e.d. and it is really hard for her, but she takes SSRI from her doctor and has had so much therapy. I think she is doing so much better than 2 years ago. I am much less worried for her now.

Good luck. Nic x