PDA

View Full Version : meds without weight gain

tgr17
07-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Are there any meds which are less likely to cause weight gain? I took lexapro for nearly 6 months and put on nearly 40lbs without changing my diet or excercise habits. I feel like my anxiety is getting out of control again but I'm not sure the weight gain is worth taking the pills. besides that lexapro made me tired all the time.

Robbed
07-09-2007, 07:15 AM
Weight gain, as well as other side effects such as tiredness, 'spaciness', aggressiveness, apathy, depersonalization, etc. are all possible side effects of SSRIs (and related drugs like SNRIs). It is entirely possible that you may respond better to a different SSRI in terms of side effects. Then again, there are other meds like Welbutrin and BuSpar, which may have less of a tendency to cause weight gain. These might be possibilities.

Then again, you might try to go at it without meds. If you are like many people with anxiety, chances are the first thing you did is visit your general practitioner who, without hesitation, put you on Lexapro. One of the problems with these meds is that they seldom are a lasting solution to your problem. If your anxiety is not so severe that it is completely debilitating, you might just try some self-help and/or maybe therapy. Many people get through this without any meds.

Kayla-Annie222
07-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Hi there,

I am on Cipralex, which is a clean and newer SSRI drug, it's excellent. I did feel a bit nauseous at first, and it took me a few weeks to get used to it (meds really scared me at first, I thought I really didn't need to take them) - sometimes getting help to deal with your anxiety isn't a bad thing. Alot of people are anti-meds, which is great if you can find useful ways to cope. If you can't however, Cipralex is an excellent drug, I don't feel anything now except BETTER and happier, and am able to deal and cope with issues of anxiety with talk therapy (covered by OHIP, just blabbing about what bothers you, it helps a great deal). I did not gain any weight, in fact lost weight (which in my case I didn't want either:) - You'll have to decide what is best for you. Personally, I had enough of trying to deal with things alone, and couldn't find any peace of mind or comfort without help. Medications aren't forever, especially anti-depressants. Talk with your doctor, make sure he/she understands your fears, and ask if maybe Cipralex is right for you.

Let me know if this helps.