PDA

View Full Version : Im having a panic attack

lua piquanina
03-26-2013, 06:35 PM
I haven't had an attack for two months so thought I was cured. I'm having one right now and it's as scary as it was the first time, 7 years ago.

I had an ice cream and I'm feeling terrible - I'm feeling my heart is popping out, I'm terrified, I can't breathe well. Just like what I think it's a heart attack. Can someone remind me this is all normal.

becki
03-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Try telling yourself that it is indeed anxiety and it will pass. My therapist likes me to experience anxiety so I can see for myself that it will pass and will be fine. Just take deep breaths and busy yourself.

lua piquanina
03-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Thank you very much, Becki. Just knowing that someone is out there helps me.

lua piquanina
03-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I feel so scared that is not possible to keep any tears. I'm feeling very cold so I think it's almost over.

nf1234
03-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Remember panic attacks peak very fast and its worst at that time. After that you start to calm down so it sounds like you are past the worst of it. Try to distract yourself with some cleaning or TV.

trinidiva
03-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Yes, turn on the tv, and find a funny show to watch. It may help distract you.

NixonRulz
03-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Try telling yourself that it is indeed anxiety and it will pass. My therapist likes me to experience anxiety so I can see for myself that it will pass and will be fine. Just take deep breaths and busy yourself.

Your therapist is a genius. That is the only way to ever kick the crap out of this disorder. Don't ever try and distract yourself.

Brittany1995
03-30-2013, 12:26 AM
Whenever I try to distract myself from it, it will like come back and scare me half to death and make it worse!! It's like " SURPRISE! I'm still here, guurl;)!!!!!!!!"

lua piquanina
04-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks very much for your help. I read about your therapist said - it's called mindfulness. I still have difficulty in practicing it. Instead I try to distract myself, which has a doubtful therapeutical purpose but also works for me in the short term. Takes very much to all who helped me with their messages.

PanicCured
04-05-2013, 08:10 PM
You know a panic attack is not dangerous, so what's to be scared of? You didn't come close to death, you didn't hurt yourself, you didn't damage your heart, you didn't really do anything of any significance except trigger your natural fight of flight response and it means absolutely nothing. It means nothing! Panic attacks are nothing to give any credit to or importance to. You have been bluffed. The panic attack bluffed you and you fell for it. Next time try and out bluff the bluff.

lua piquanina
04-10-2013, 07:54 PM
PanicCured - your message has been helping me a lot. Many thanks for this

PanicCured
04-10-2013, 09:21 PM
PanicCured - your message has been helping me a lot. Many thanks for this

Read this:

http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?9512-The-Quick-Guide-to-Stopping-Panic-Attacks