PDA

View Full Version : Long read, can you help?

Stellar1024
07-08-2007, 02:33 AM
First let me try to explain my "condition". I'm a 26 year old straight male. Certain situations and sometimes even thinking of certain situations can cause me to feel sick to my stomach. It's a very uncomfortable feeling that mostly stems from interaction with females and certain social situations, though these situations are almost always dealing with females. For instance, going to a dance club would be something that typically could trigger my feelings of unease (anxiety?). I question the word anxiety because I have heard it defined ambiguously and am not 100% sure if it properly describes the feelings i get. Usually once I become comfortable with my atmosphere, the feelings become less severe, or dissapear. They are more frequent at night, but that's when I typically am more likely to be in a situation that would cause this. Being active, or in a situation that I am very comfortable (my house, playing pool or foosball at a bar) usually won't trigger any negative feelings, because I am completely comfortable with my surroundings I guess. Sometimes even females I am very comfortable with and talking with can trigger feelings of unease, especially when I am in an unfamiliar social situation. Also, I am somewhat charismatic, not at all socially inept and actually do quit well with woman.

My feelings originated about 4-5 years ago when I was taking the drug Accutane. At first I thought it was a side effect of the drug and I quit taking it (was my third time to take it) and the feelings persisted. I began playing an online video game, which I enjoyed quite a bit, but even certain situations in game could cause unease. Regardless, it was much less frequent, so I played the game at an unhealthy level. I played for a long time and finally quit a few months ago. I've been really social since quitting and at first my condition was almost completely gone. Lately i've been starting to get these feelings more frequently and that's why i'm writing this.

I'm a little bit underweight (6 foot, 140 lbs) and have been trying to gain weight, but appetite loss comes along with the nausea I experience. I don't have much of an appetite as it is, so it is really hard to gain weight, especially with my condition. I went to the doctor a few years back and had a bit of trouble describing my situation correctly and he diagnosed me with social anxiety disorder. I thought it sounded about right, so I went with it. He prescribed Paxil for me, which I have been taking since. My mom was diagnosed with depression and she takes Paxil and does very well with it, so I thought it might help me as well. Honestly, I can't really tell a difference when I take or don't take the medicine, aside from the withdrawal effects I experience when I don't take it.

It's probably not as bad as it sounds when described on paper, but it's uncomfortable and I would love to find some sort of solution to my problem. Is this even anxiety and does anyone experience anything like this and have any ideas for a solution?

Thank you :)

Trying to edit for easier reading.

RabidBadger
07-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Hi Stellar

The truth is, you don't have to be classified with some kind of disorder to experience anxiety in certain situations. Anxiety is an emotion, just like sadness or anger. Some people have an ongoing problem with it and some people find that it comes and goes.

Biologically, when you experience fear, a chain of events is triggered within your body which result in adrenalin being released into your bloodstream. As well as making your heart and respiratory rate speed up, adrenalin widens certain blood vessels that supply blood to your major muscle groups (to help you tackle or flee from the source of fear). With more blood going to your major muscles, there is less available for your internal organs and your digestive system becomes much less efficient. This can cause nausea, increased belching, butterflies, decreased salivation and acid reflux (indigestion).

Of course, once you experience these symptoms, it is only natural to wonder what they are and worry more. This perpetuates the anxiety and the physical discomfort and feeds itself until you can break the cycle - in your case by distracting yourself.

Hope this information helps

Chris

Stellar1024
07-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Hmm, that helps put things into perspective a bit. I think i've been hoping for some miracle medication that probably doesn't exist, when what I really need to do is work on fixing my head. I noticed simply talking to people about it makes it a lot better. Had no anxiety at all yesterday..

Thanks ;)