PDA

View Full Version : Is the tv on?

mellymel
03-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Sometimes I hear the tv when it's not on. Like a very faint talking. When I check the tv is off! It's scaring me. Does this happen to anyone else?

For example, last night I was laying in bed and it was completely silent. All of a sudden it happened. It sounded like the tv was on, but it was not. Does anyone else experience this?

sunnysalient
03-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Sometimes I swear I hear people call my name or weird noises that aren't there! I don't know if you do, but sleeping with some white noise helped me. -- I turn music to a low, low volume and just relax!

mellymel
03-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Sometimes I swear I hear people call my name or weird noises that aren't there! I don't know if you do, but sleeping with some white noise helped me. -- I turn music to a low, low volume and just relax!

Ok that's similar enough haha...it's really freaking me out because I'm so afraid of losing my mind, that this just seems like proof. I used to sleep with the tv on but it keeps my husband awake so now I replay episodes of sex and the city on my iPad lol.

flaure25
03-25-2013, 06:04 PM
That's very weird and I have never had that happened to me before....Hmmmm

mellymel
03-25-2013, 06:26 PM
That's very weird and I have never had that happened to me before....Hmmmm

That's supportive, thank you, but I'm aware of how weird it is.

NixonRulz
03-25-2013, 07:24 PM
That's supportive, thank you, but I'm aware of how weird it is.

Well said Mel. We all have some goofy issues. That's why we are here!

PanicCured
03-25-2013, 07:32 PM
WOW! If this happens often, I would see a doctor about this. Anyone know anything about schizophrenia? Are these signs? Don't worry, I am not saying it is, just asking. Even if it is, still do not worry.

mellymel
03-25-2013, 07:52 PM
WOW! If this happens often, I would see a doctor about this. Anyone know anything about schizophrenia? Are these signs? Don't worry, I am not saying it is, just asking. Even if it is, still do not worry.

:((( I should have never said anything, this has made me feel so much worse.
Thanks. And I had told my doc.

NixonRulz
03-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Mel. Stop listening. You and I both know crap like that happens all the time. You can hear things and it doesn't make you crazy.

Unless you hear red rum red rum

mellymel
03-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Mel. Stop listening. You and I both know crap like that happens all the time. You can hear things and it doesn't make you crazy.

Unless you hear red rum red rum

That's not cool. I'm so scared :( I'm crying like a baby! I'm done with this stupid site! That's fucked up. Maybe there really is something wrong with me. It's my own fault for telling random people about it.

NixonRulz
03-25-2013, 08:08 PM
That's not cool. I'm so scared :( I'm crying like a baby! I'm done with this stupid site! That's fucked up. Maybe there really is something wrong with me. It's my own fault for telling random people about it.

I'm kidding Mel. I'm with you not against you. I have had my share of different symptoms going on

Would never judge you.

mellymel
03-25-2013, 08:15 PM
That is my biggest fear. I worry about it every waking moment. So for someone to say what I already know could be true is like a kick in the face. I'm just done.

Jinx13
03-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Mellymel, I am 43 year old mom and used to worry about having schizophrenia ALL the time when I was a teenager. Among other things. Please dont worry about that and here is how I KNOW you don't have it: people with schizophrenia don't worry about it! Only us nutty anxious people! and yes, I promise you I used to here my name called or the radio but it was not on. We are creative and have great imaginations. Don't worry and please don't stop sharing. I never write (just read on here) but I felt so bad for you and know how scary that is. Hang in there!

mellymel
03-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Forwells, I have told my doc about this and my fear of becoming a schizophrenic, she says that even with those symptoms I don't fit the profile. I just don't know how to shake the fear.

mellymel
03-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Mellymel, I am 43 year old mom and used to worry about having schizophrenia ALL the time when I was a teenager. Among other things. Please dont worry about that and here is how I KNOW you don't have it: people with schizophrenia don't worry about it! Only us nutty anxious people! and yes, I promise you I used to here my name called or the radio but it was not on. We are creative and have great imaginations. Don't worry and please don't stop sharing. I never write (just read on here) but I felt so bad for you and know how scary that is. Hang in there!

Thank you. I am a mom too, my daughter is 2 and I am so afraid of hurting her or being a danger to her, so this is a real fear for me.
A gut wrenching fear.
Thank you for the reply.

Jinx13
03-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Also, people that do those really bad things don't have gut wrenching fear about. It's an extremely common OCD thought.

PanicCured
03-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Wait wait wait! Calm down! Sometimes I forget how sensitive people can be here. You have to be willing to discuss things if you want to know the answer. But you are saying you hear voices that are not there often and the other person said she needs to turn music on to drown it out. I do not know of this anxiety symptom. Hallucination can happen in great fear but weren't you saying this happens often not just in a full on freak out? You are asking the same question as me if it is schizophrenia. I am not a doctor or psychiatrist and did not diagnose you. I asked the question. If it were me, I would simply tell the doctor my symptoms, and go from there. I have a friend who actually has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, he takes medication and hangs out like a normal person and you would never know. Not saying you do, but it doesn't mean one's life is over anyway.

But Forwellis, you think hearing voices that aren't there like TV often is a normal sign of anxiety? I could see it happening sometimes but often hearing voices like TV is on but it isn't on? You think that is simply anxiety? Sorry, but my feeling is that is not a normal symptom of anxiety. Of course, I surely could be wrong.

This can be a side effect of meds. Are you on meds? I hallucinated from withdrawing from Klonopins.

So I am simply asking questions to your questions. I am surprised music has to be turned on to drown out voices. Sorry to say, but this sounds like something beyond anxiety to me. In my opinion. I am not a doctor. But try to find out what;s wrong and get better instead of only hoping to have someone tell you you are ok. But no matter what it is, you are ok.

loobylou13
03-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Hi MellyMel, I've had what you're experiencing in the past. Usually when I'm really tired I've heard jumbled voices with many a few words I can make out. It's auditory hallucinations and nothing to worry about. As for what you say about harming your daughter, please be assured you won't. I had those thoughts when I withdrew from long term benzo use and it scared the whits out of me. This is called intrusive thoughts and EVERYONE has them, only most people just ignore them, like when you're on a train platform and the train is coming and for a split second you think, what if? It's a natural reaction to our fears. However because this is scaring you and you ate anxious it has manifested itself into a real fear. You have to accept that these thoughts are false and that it's not something you will carry out. I promise you that when you stop being afraid of these thoughts they will stop occurring.

PanicCured
03-25-2013, 09:10 PM
If she is calm laying down and hears the TV on when it is not on, and this happens often, can you really just think its a symptom of anxiety?

albgirl82
03-25-2013, 09:15 PM

Hahaha are you serious?? Crying for this?? I hear noises all the time. Sometimes it feels like my mom is calling my name, and she lives in Europe..lol!! Nothing is wrong with you..just anxiety. Come on, we said a million time..a schizofren will not ask about his sanity. Stop giving this so much credit.

Suicidal Depression
03-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Hahaha are you serious?? Crying for this?? I hear noises all the time. Sometimes it feels like my mom is calling my name, and she lives in Europe..lol!! Nothing is wrong with you..just anxiety. Come on, we said a million time..a schizofren will not ask about his sanity. Stop giving this so much credit.

Ate you really laughing at somebodies fears? Screw you. We all have anxiety. We don't act rationally when we get worried about something. Our anxieties take control..

mellymel
03-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Ok let me clear something up. I don't have to have my iPad on to drown out voices. I keep it on because I have a fear that I will just randomly hear them and the thought of hearing voices keeps me awake until I start questioning "did I just hear something, what was that, omg am I hearing things". To avoid all that I sleep with the iPad playing my favorite show.

The last couple of nights I slept without the iPad on because I realize what I'm doing to myself and I'm feeding the fear by sleeping with it on. I did fine and went to sleep like normal. But last night when I tried to do that I was uncomfortable and laying there, the tv was off, and my mind started to wander and in started thinking of hearing voices not actually hearing anything. But right after the anxious thoughts of hearing them, I heard the low mumbling for a few seconds. It made me anxious, my body got hot, my heart was thumping, so I just laid down and counted and breathed. I went to sleep shortly after.

I know this is not normal. That wasn't my question. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced it. Plain and simple.

PanicCured
03-25-2013, 09:21 PM
I get that you can see things out of the corner of your eye, or sometimes hear things that aren't there, but hearing a TV on that is not actually on and hearing this frequently? Hey maybe you are right. It's a new one for me. But if the doctor say anxiety, probably best to accept what the doc says. Audio hallucinations was a symptom I never had.

PanicCured
03-25-2013, 09:24 PM
I have a fear that I will just randomly hear them and the thought of hearing voices keeps me awake until I start questioning. But last night when I tried to do that I was uncomfortable and laying there, the tv was off, and my mind started to wander and in started thinking of hearing voices not actually hearing anything. But right after the anxious thoughts of hearing them, I heard the low mumbling for a few seconds.

Ok this is different then what I thought you were saying. So now you say, "not actually hearing anything."
This sounds like bullshit fear to me and you just want everyone to tell you you are ok.

PanicCured
03-25-2013, 09:26 PM

So do you hear voices that are not there every night?

mellymel
03-25-2013, 09:28 PM
PANIC CURED I can't tell since this is just typing, but it seems like your being rude. Don't you remember what it was like to be scared at some point in your anxiety? Maybe it is a bullshit fear, but it's mine and I'm terrified! If you can't offer anything positive please just leave me alone.

loobylou13
03-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Some not very nice people on here! I thought this was a place for people to help one another, not question the validity of each others symptoms? Some people would do well to remember if you've nothing nice to say, say nothing at all!

mellymel
03-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Mel i do the same thing . I have one of those things that plays nature sounds and have it on every night to sleep . Think its just a habit from when i was bad . I find if i dont have it on then my mind wonders a bit still .

Learn meditation it will help .

I have always had a problem sleeping in complete silence. I sleep with a fan on just for the humming noise. I was meditating and then I stopped for no reason. Thank you for all your help.

mellymel
03-25-2013, 09:33 PM

It's a FEAR for me...don't you have something you fear?? Same concept.

PanicCured
03-25-2013, 09:34 PM
I am not being rude at all. My god! I am discussing this out of interest. I said it sounds like bullshit fear as opposed to real mental disorder. Not saying you are bullshit. I give up! Mel, you are too high strung, go drink some chamomile tea and relax. You are working yourself up into a frenzy!

PanicCured
03-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Forwellis is much better at talking with compassion then I am. I take all of this more of a scientific or mathematical approach.

Remember this Mel, YOU are your own worst enemy. You are the disease and you are also the cure.

Suicidal Depression
03-25-2013, 09:38 PM
I am not being rude at all. My god! I am discussing this out of interest. I said it sounds like bullshit fear as opposed to real mental disorder. Not saying you are bullshit. I give up! Mel, you are too high strung, go drink some chamomile tea and relax. You are working yourself up into a frenzy!

You definitely could have worded your other post a bit better. It came off as you saying her fear was bullshit and that she was attention seeking.

mellymel
03-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Forwellis is much better at talking with compassion then I am. I take all of this more of a scientific or mathematical approach.

Remember this Mel, YOU are your own worst enemy. You are the disease and you are also the cure.

Well of you can't be compassionate about it then why do you reply? I am really hurting as I am sure many are, and the things that other people say can make it worse.

PanicCured
03-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Because logic and understanding what to do about your problem is the only way to get past it! Being coddled and told you are ok DOES NOT WORK! "Bullshit fear" means the fear is bullshit like its tricking your mind. Anxiety is a bullshit disorder! It's a bluff! It is a bullshit bluff! At some point you have to see it. You answered your own question when you said, you don't really hear the voices. Just do what you have to do to get better. Sure, you can get 20 people ere to coddle you and let you know everything is ok and you are not crazy, and then what happens the next time you have an anxiety attack? Have you learned what to do about it? Being logical and doing the steps to heal yourself is the only thing that works.

mellymel
03-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Because logic and understanding what to do about your problem is the only way to get past it! Being coddled and told you are ok DOES NOT WORK! "Bullshit fear" means the fear is bullshit like its tricking your mind. Anxiety is a bullshit disorder! It's a bluff! It is a bullshit bluff! At some point you have to see it. You answered your own question when you said, you don't really hear the voices. Just do what you have to do to get better. Sure, you can get 20 people ere to coddle you and let you know everything is ok and you are not crazy, and then what happens the next time you have an anxiety attack? Have you learned what to do about it? Being logical and doing the steps to heal yourself is the only thing that works.

I don't want to be coddled. If I wanted to be coddled I'd be on here everyday asking for reassurance, but I don't. There are just some days that I can't do it all alone in my head so I reach our on hear to feel like I'm still part of the world. That's all. To know that other people experience some of the odd things I am experiencing does help me because it eases the fear and I can let go of it a little more.

laurandisorder
03-26-2013, 02:43 AM
Melly. I'm deliberately avoiding referencing the above posts - cos PC freaked me out a bit too, he's a facts/figures and stats kind of guy. Very wise on anxiety issues, but not so good with implied meaning omline.

I can tell you that I experience what you do quite often - even before the panic and anxiety started. I think it's completely normal because I have been in therapy for 12 years now (wow!) and not once EVER has my psych suggested that there is anything vaguely schizophrenic about me.

On my mental health adventures I have met real schizophrenics and trust me hon, you ain't one!

I hear stuff right before I fall asleep. This happens in a couple of circumstances. The first is if I have been to a concert or have experienced loud volumes, repeated sounds and/or heavy bass. The second and most common is when I am simply really, really, really tired. I hear my b/f calling me, my parents or sister (who I don't live with), my cats meowing, my dog etc. when I got my dog and he was a puppy he cried a lot and the first time I left him alone whilst I went out, I swear I could hear him at the shops.

It's a repeated noise/tiredness thing and I think that because I have deep, vivid dreams, I am susceptible to all this wacky stuff as I drift off fall asleep. This has always happened to me. Even when I was a child. Do you dream? I expect that as a Mum of a young kiddy you don't get the recommended amount of sleep.

I hope this helps ease your mind. You're normal girl!

albgirl82
03-26-2013, 06:19 AM
please bear in mind that just because this does not worry you that it does not worry someone else .

Fears and a personal thing and if the person could dismiss it then it would not be a fear would it .

Im trying to make it easy on her. Its not just her that hears it. I do to...

trinidiva
03-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Mel,
I assure you, you are not losing your mind. People who are losing their minds are not aware of it at all. You are a lot like me, hypervigilant....except I think we focus on different things. I do sometimes (like this morning) see things out of the corner of my eye, I notice it, but it doesn't bother me, I blink my eyes turn in that direction, and its gone. You just have to learn to accept that for right now, you may see little shadows and figures in the corner of your eye. When you learn to accept it, the fear will subside. I kind of relate it to my health anxiety. I have to learn that when I see info on heart attacks and strokes, to accept it, but tell myself that because I see it on tv, or an article, it won't necessarily effect me. I used to be freaked out, and felt like everywhere I turned I would see info on heart attacks and strokes and it was some type of sign......it has taken time and some level of acceptance, but it has gotten easier to deal with. I definitely stay off of Google, I understand that it completely does not help someone with my type of anxiety.
As far as hearing things, I have not personally experienced that, but I do know that people can experience auditory hallucinations. I can imagine they can be quite frightening, but you have to believe that since you are fully aware of what is taking place, you are not losing your mind. You are still very much in control of your facilities. Are you getting enough sleep nightly? If not, I would probably go to extra lengths to start making sure you get a solid 8 hours of sleep nightly. Lack of sleep can really cause major problems. I know I've read that falling asleep with the tv on can cause sleep disturbances as well. It seems that you watch your shows on your iPad until your body actually shuts down and you fall asleep. Could you try selecting a time, finding some meditative, soothing music on your iPad, and falling asleep to that? I know that on the nights my little one doesn't sleep through the night, and my sleep is disrupted, I have a difficult time dealing with my anxiety symptoms the following day.
I'm sorry you have felt unsupported, we all are on this site looking for support.
I think we need to be careful in what we write to people, we are here to help and support each other through a difficult time.