PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE. NEED ADVICE

tgr17
07-06-2007, 07:07 PM
This is a slightly long post but I would really apprectiate it if you guys would read it and give me your opinion/advice. I find these forums to be very helpful. Last years I was diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder. It was the worst I had ever felt in my life. I was put on lexapro and it really helped but the side effects were too much. I gained a lot of weight and just felt emotinally numb. I stopped the lexapro after only about 4 months and have been fine ever since. I have learned to keep my anxiety under control for the most part. Lately I have been having some side pain which after numerous test was just diagnosed as IBS. I am also noticing the anxious feeling again along with feeling slightly depressed frequently. Any chance all this is related to anxiety. I really don't want to take meds again. I just feel the side effects of the medication outweigh any improvement. I have also worked very hard to loose the weight I gained while on the lexapro and I don't want to start all over again. Also... I used to smoke cigarettes all the time but quit a year ago. I haven't had any since and no cravings however since the anxiety/depression came on I am now having the intense desire to start smoking again? Any possible relationship?

V for Victor
07-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Well, if you don't want to go back on Lexapro, there are other meds available. You can discuss this with your doctor if you feel the side effects of Lexapro are too much. Maybe you could get on a different medication.

I think the reason you have a new desire to start smoking again is because cigarettes do tend to be relaxing. People often smoke when they're feeling tense or stressed. So you may be subconsciously craving a cigarette to relax. But I certainly hope you won't start smoking again to try and combat your stress/anxiety.

tgr17
07-13-2007, 12:44 PM
haven't smoked a cigarette in nearly two years but GAD has gotten bad lately. Instead of going back on meds and gaining weight I have been occasionaly smoking again and I know all the research that says smoking actually makes anxiety worse but it really seems to be helping my anxiety and depression. I feel so much better. I'm not trying to justify smoking in any way because I know what a terrible habit it is and just how many health problems it can cause. I'm just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why smoking after 2 years of not having a single puff is able to calm my anxiety and boost my mood. I'm not looking to pick up the habit again. I actually haven't even bought a pack because I know I will be tempted to have them all.

Robbed
07-14-2007, 04:52 PM
It sounds to me like all these problems you are experiencing ARE anxiety related. Odd aches and pains, as well as IBS are common among anxiety sufferers. Plus, you say you are experiencing actual emotional anxiety, along with some depression. These are also a tipoff.

As for meds, there is the possibility that another med might be good for you. But the problems that you describe with Lexapro (weight gain and feeling emotionally numb) are unfortunately typical of SSRIs. So while your body might repond better to another drug, the risk is, unfortunately, there. And there is no way of knowing unless you find out the hard way. I have just known TOO many people personally who have had negative experiences with these drugs AND I have been under TOO much pressure myself by 'profesionals' to take them to be an advocate of their use.

Therapy is a possibility for dealing with your anxiety. A good therapist could be REALLY helpful. But keep in mind that for every good therapist out there, there are LOTS that may be well-intentioned, but just plain inept. So you might have to go through quite a few of them before you stumble on one who is right for you.

Also, never underestimate the importance of self-help. Self-help probably helps more people to overcome emotional disorders than anything else. In fact, it has been shown that bibliotherapy (ie self-help from reading books) is at least as effective as meds, but without the side effects AND with more lasting benefits. Numerous webites, like anxietycentre.com, also offer good self-help programs.

As for smoking, ever heard the line 'I need a cigarette' from someone in despair? Chances are you have heard it many places, whether from people you know, people on the streets, movies, or even yourself (since you say that you DID smoke in the past). `Just like any drug, there are good responders and bad responders. And the very fact that you went on to become a smoker after trying cigarettes for the first time suggests that you are likely a good responder (as opposed to someone who gets sick after trying one, and never smokes again). So it comes as little surprise that smoking might give you some relief.