PDA

View Full Version : First Time to the Site

pcr
03-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Hi my name is Paul, I’m 28 and living in the UK.

I have been diagnosed with: General Anxiety Disorder; Social Phobia Disorder; Transference Anxiety Disorder (where you get anxious for other people); Mild Depression; Insomnia and Season Affective Disorder. I’ve “suffered” from these for 15 years or so. My first counselling session was at 9 or 10.

I’ve tried Counselling; Hypnotherapy; Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Group Therapy. All with little impact on how I cope or deal with my anxiety issues. Hypnotherapy oddly was the most effective. Unsuprisingly group therapy wasn't - 5 to 10 anxious people in a circle.

My symptoms are: Headaches; Shakes; Palpitations; Vomiting; Dizziness and Stomach Pains.
After some experimenting (with my doctor), I have a reasonable handle on my anxiety day to day by taking the following meds: 45mg Mirtazapine; 40mg Omeprazole and 30mg Domperidone. But getting out the door every morning takes a real effort.

My anxiety doesn’t affect me very often at home and thankfully work (if I couldn’t work I don’t know what I would do). I have quite a responsible job but have been there for 11 years so it is like working with family now.

When I have to put myself in a situation I’m not comfortable with – even something as simple as a meal with my parents at my house – I take 10-15mg of Diazapam which more often than not helps control most of the symptoms (particularly tension and shaking).

I think I waffled on enough; I don’t want to put everyone to sleep. I’ve never used an anxiety forum before but after reading some of your posts, it has given me comfort that I am not the only one struggling with everyday life and there are people out there that understand.

NixonRulz
03-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Hey Paul. It sucks and we have all been there

I will ask you what was asked of me after 20 years of getting by but still dealing with all the symptoms.

In you case it is 15 years but, if what you have been doing for the last 15 years hasn't worked, maybe it is time to change strategies

What I can speak about confidently is getting better. You will see the same reoccurring theme here from the people who have won the battle with anxiety

Fighting, blocking, avoidance has not healed anyone. It may help but more times than not, the more you fight, the worse it is

Go to your parents for dinner, bring your Valium or whatever but don't take it. Let the anxiousness come to you, don't avoid it, don't fight it, don't distract yourself.

Let it come with all its power and do nothing. Having your Valium will be y our safety net so you don't feel trapped. Just keep telling yourself you will wait 5 more minutes before taking it.

Your goal is to feel the panic and anxiety, realize it is there, that it is very uncomfortable but not dangerous.

This is similar to exposure therapy but you want to feel the panic, not prove that you can go there and not panic

Once you wait the anxiety out, it leaves whether you do anything or not and then you become in control

So many success stories here when people realize this is the way to win

I know I will never be rid of the wave of adrenaline that strikes sometimes several times a day but its not that you feel the rush, it's how you react.

You don't react frightened or upset, it just passes. Anxiety is a trick that loves to fool your brain but gets really pissed when you use it's own trick against it

Acknowledge, accept, understand, move on

4 steps that takes a total of 2 seconds to sort through when you feel the anxiety coming

You have tis is you just like we all do. You just don't realize it until you go through it.

alankay
03-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Howde Paul and welcome. Have you tried various ssri/snri's with no luck? Also Lyrica is approved for GAD as well and I just wondered what else you've tried in the way of meds.
I use valium(diazepam) from time to time as well and for me it works very well indeed and I'm thankful for it. Propranolol 20-40mg helps a ton with shaking/tremor/rapid heart beats as well. Alankay

pcr
03-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Hi NixonRulz,

Thank you for your post. I'm not giving up on Controlling my Anxiety with out medication.

I've only used the meds for the last 18 months, they are just a rest for me. 18 months ago I was in hospital because the anxiety got too bad and I couldn't eat without vomitting. With the lack of food my digestion system started to shut down. I was told when you panick your body cuts off energy to "non-esential" parts of your body, this is to give energy to your "Flight" reflexs. For example if you are in real danger it is more important for your body to fuel the ability to run away or fight than digest your breakfast. In most people this is a short diversion until the danger has passed, but in some people (not all) when you are consistently anxious / scared / afraid it becomes a problem.

The meds have allowed me to get back to eating and to full health, once I get a clean bill of health from the docs I'll gradually work my way off the meds and get back to confronting the anxiety. I will admit I do like the "safety net" the meds give me but know it's not a long term solution.

pcr
03-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Hi Alankay,

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried lots of medication, so many I've forgotten the names of most of them. I sorted out a draw where I keep my meds last week and couldn't remember having half of them. I have tried Propranolol but it didn't have much of an effect on me.

The Mirtazapine is the only one that has made a real difference day to day plus the diazepam as and when needed. Been to the docs today and he has added Amitriptyline to my little mix of meds to help me sleep and says it should give me a little pick me up.