PDA

View Full Version : Im considering taking medication

R8DRN8SHN
07-05-2007, 11:27 AM
OK so I am 16 and I am considering taking medication because everyday I wake up I feel like sh*t and I have pain in my stomach area. I also weigh the same as I did 4 years ago. I want to play football and get an effing job. Just want to be independant but the symptoms get in my way of life and school. You know like blushing and a hard time swallowing? Has anyone here ever been on antidepressants and what were your side-effects?

RabidBadger
07-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Hi

In the 8 years since I first had a panic attack I have tried the following anti-depressants: seroxat, fluoxetine, dothiepine, citalopram and escitalopram.

The first three did nothing for my anxiety and just made me feel like a zombie all the time (not to mention other unpleasant side-effects). Citalopram wasn't so bad but I still didn't feel like it was helping me much. I have been taking escitalopram since last September and I have gone from being severely agoraphobic (spending all day in my bedroom and being terrified to even go to the toilet) to going out for regular walks, buying a car and going out to the pub with my mates.

I think it is important to say that I don't put my progress all down to the medication, it has taken a lot of hard mental work too but I do feel that the drug gave me a bit of a boost to be able to do that.

With any anti-depressant you will probably go through an initial period of a couple of weeks when you are more anxious and feeling sick but this does disappear after a while (more quickly with escitalopram because the dose is lower) and anything you take probably won't have an effect until you've taken it for about 6 weeks.

Whatever you decide on, make sure you consult with your doctor before you start taking anything; your age may well have a bearing on what they are prepared to prescribe.

Best wishes

Chris

Kayla-Annie222
07-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi there,

I was very anti-medication at first, but decided that it was time to get rid of my anxiety, and start healing - or else it just gets worse. I have taken Cipralex, which is a new drug, an SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reputake Inhibitor), it has really really helped me. although the first couple of weeks were a bit rough with nausea and getting accustomed to the drug, after only a month of being on it, I feel better. Meds are not for everyone. I understand that, but if you really feel like you are not coping well without help, sometimes it's good to get some help with medication. I've read a lot, and tried to relax a lot while on this medication, and have stopped using alcohol. Cipralex is a cleaner drug, and it doesn't make you feel like a zombie, or in a dream state. It just helps you to cope with your anxiety and focus on better things.

Let me know if this helps.

Robbed
07-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Cipralex is a cleaner drug, and it doesn't make you feel like a zombie, or in a dream state. It just helps you to cope with your anxiety and focus on better things.

Of course, the BIG problem is that meds can REALLY be a crapshot. It looks like Cipralex has really helped this person. But it may not do so for everyone. I have heard people (on this board) say that they have had MISERABLE experiences with Cipralex. So keep this in mind. Feeling like a zombie or in a dream state is often a symptom of anxiety. And I know that the last thing I would want is to take something that makes this WORSE.

Sam888
07-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Cipralex is a cleaner drug, and it doesn't make you feel like a zombie, or in a dream state. It just helps you to cope with your anxiety and focus on better things.

Of course, the BIG problem is that meds can REALLY be a crapshot. It looks like Cipralex has really helped this person. But it may not do so for everyone. I have heard people (on this board) say that they have had MISERABLE experiences with Cipralex. So keep this in mind. Feeling like a zombie or in a dream state is often a symptom of anxiety. And I know that the last thing I would want is to take something that makes this WORSE.

I think that's the first post/comment I have seen where this med didn't do more harm then good.

squirt
07-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Regardless of whatever meds you take I think if you really want lasting relief you need to be doing something to change the underlying things you do that cause the anxiety. For me the answer turned out to be CBT. I was on meds while I learned CBT but eventually I eliminated the thinking habits/errors I was making that caused the anxiety and got off of all my meds and life is grand now for me. Just my two cents anyway.

Sam888
07-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Regardless of whatever meds you take I think if you really want lasting relief you need to be doing something to change the underlying things you do that cause the anxiety. For me the answer turned out to be CBT. I was on meds while I learned CBT but eventually I eliminated the thinking habits/errors I was making that caused the anxiety and got off of all my meds and life is grand now for me. Just my two cents anyway.

Exactly....people just look for the magic pill. That's awesome news squirt! Congratulations!!

Robbed
09-07-2007, 06:39 AM
I think that's the first post/comment I have seen where this med didn't do more harm then good.

Keep in mind that Cipralex goes under other names in different countries. Here in the US, it is sold as Lexapro. And I have seen my fair share of negative reactions here to Lexapro.

Sam888
09-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Keep in mind that Cipralex goes under other names in different countries. Here in the US, it is sold as Lexapro. And I have seen my fair share of negative reactions here to Lexapro.

Physicians are quick to say that these negative reactions are temporary. I think they have a different dictionary on the defininition of "temporary" than the rest of us. Just like they have a different definition of "success".

LYNDSAY
02-15-2008, 12:46 PM
I have to say for myself, I was definetly anti drugs...But after putting my stubborness away, after suffereing with this for WAY TO LONG...I started taking CIPRALEX.. I have to say this drug was great. I have taken, int he past, Effexor and celexa. Cipralex is cleaner and did the trick forsure, im not saying that CIPRALEX took away everything i have been going through, but it sure helped a lot. i am currently on 10 mg a day, and like Kayla-Annie222 said , it does cause slight nausea at first, but the best things about it is that it doesnt alter your mind, for me anyway and Kayla-Annie222 !...and im sure it would help for many others.
hope this helps a bit!:):)

ron111
02-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Are there any anti anxiety drugs that you can take long-term? And not have to worry about slowly getting off of them?

I don't take any. My doct gave me valium when I met him, but that was before I really thought I had an anxiety problem. I used to take it when I couldn't sleep or was having an anxiety attack that wouldn't go away. Now I don't have that problem. But, I do seem to have a constant anxious state. It's not real bad, but it interferes with my day. I'll have a mild headache after the day is over but thats about it.