PDA

View Full Version : MEDICATION WOT WORKS AND WOT DOES NOT

Johno2007
07-05-2007, 07:44 AM
HI EVERYBODY, I HAVE SPENT 15 YEARS LOKKING AROUND FOR THE SILVER BULLET TO HELP ME DEAL WITH MY ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION. THE ONLY MEDICATION THAT EVER CAME NEAR TO THIS WAS HIGH DOSES OF VALIUM. 10MG X 4 TIMES DAY. I HAVE SPENT YEARS CHOPPING AND CHANGING FROM OLDER TRICYCLIC (PROTHIADIN) TO SSRI (SEROXAT) TO SNRI (EFFEXOR) TO MAJOR TRANQUILISERS MELLARIL TO BUSPAR. ALL IN ALL 47 DIFFERENT MEDICATIONS TRIED AND HAVE GOT NOWHERE. THE PROFESSIONALS MAY DESCRIBE ME AS MEDICATION RESISTANT BECAUSE APPROX EVERY 2 YEARS I HAVE TO CHANGE MY ANTI DEPRESSANT. THE ONLY TABLET TO HELP ME AS I SAID WAS HIGH DOSES OF VALIUM, THESE ARE NASTY MEDS TO STOP AT HIGH DOSES BUT I WOULD DO ANYTHING TO GET RID OF MY DEMONS

JOHN

Sam888
07-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Have you tried CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy)?

melison
08-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Can you tell us more about CBT?

I really want to know what is it and more details if you try it?

thanx in advance

Mister
08-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi John, and Melison.

I'm getting CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) now, which has been going for around the last 8 months, and has been a great help to me... So much so that I've recently stopped taking my meds so that I can experience the benefits of it to the full.

I wanted to know that my feelings & emotions were true rather than drug induced...

The main things I've got from the sessions so far are by looking at my current behavioural patterns & thought processes, and identifying what is appropriate and what is a problem for me.

The therapy has helped me to understand my problems a lot better, and know why I have those issues.

Take my seriously bad negative thinking, for instance... I know exactly why this is a problem for me (although I probably already knew what it stemmed from before the therapy) and I'm now getting much better at identifying it on a day to day basis, which means that I can mentally challenge it... and usually now stop my negative thought process by reasoning the thought out.

I'd recommend it to anyone that needs some help to deal with their problems :)

orachahalion
07-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Dosen't work

bhamlaxy
07-24-2012, 11:46 AM
This thread is full of fail.

Stacie
07-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Some things work great for one person and another has no luck at all with it. I think its unfair to say something doesn't work just because you've tried it and had no relief with it. Also, just because something has worked for one doesn't make it a sure thing for everyone.
I've just started cbt this week, I'm very hopeful! I have anxiety/panic, along with add, ocd, underactive thyroid, hormone problems (due to cancer of both overies), fear of another brain tumor, and some other issues. But, again, I'm very hopeful!!!
I've been taking atavan 3 times a day, plus paxil every night. It works some days, and the other days I just deal with it.
I read on here about magnesium. So I decided to try it. I started taking it daily. It has actually worked for me!! I take 480 mg a day. I started with half that dose n worked up over 3-4 days. For the first time in a long long time I see a definite change, for the good!
I have to give God the praise for it. I came across this forum by accident, and have found so much help here!
So I would suggest magnesium! If it doesn't work for you, don't give up!!! Keep looking! Know you're worth the effort!!
God bless! :)

JaneB
08-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Yeah it's tough to have a thread about "what works" because everyone is different.

I've tried several doctor-prescribed meds and never got what I was looking for. Either I'd end up feeling manic or doped up all the time or even more anxious. Now I just think that pharma meds will only change the symptoms.

What has helped me was focusing more on general health. I know it sounds overly simple, but my diet was absolute crap a few years ago and since I started eating healthier, taking supplements and doing yoga I feel much better. I still get a lot of worrying, but I haven't had a panic attack in more than a year!

Magnesium is great, but there's so much going on in the body with anxiety you really need something more than just one thing, at least I did. For at least 5-6 months I took Tranquilene, which has a bunch of vitamins, amino acids, herbs and other stuff. I'd say if you want to try natural remedies, go with something tailored for anxiety. If you try to put together everything in a supplement like that separately it will cost wayyyy too much.

And I can't stress enough. YOGA. It releases your muscle tension and focuses you on only breathing. I like the hot one, "vinyasa." Trust me, it's amazing. But again, this is just what's worked for me.