PDA

View Full Version : Hi, i'm the new kid!

ladybug
09-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Hi everyone. I am even getting panicky writing this! I just found this forum yesterday and I am in a sort of shock about realizing I have social anxiety. I have been watching Oprah latley, I know I know,,, but I saw an episode the other day about Body Dismorphic Disorder, and although I realize I don't have that some of the things they said really hit home.
I have evolved with this anxiety, for example I can leave the house, I can talk to people, I can even work in sales, However I plan everything I am going to say. Some times I spend hours rehersing just to ask for a day off. In college I never talked to professors because when dealing with athority figures I break out in a sweat and can cry at the hint of a negative comment. I was in theatre in highschool, I give presentations now, but if I am unprepared or something goes slightly off course I sweat and my heart races.
I can leave the house, but if in an unfamiliar place I can't leave unless I plan out my path. When the plan is set and I am moved to action I look straight ahead, give a short smile if someone acknowledges me and feel the stares and judging. What is this?
If you asked someone who new me if I was confident they would say yes. I have a very very good social mask, but my insides are in turmoil.
Thanks for listening (reading)! Sorry about the spelling :lol:
I am 24 and working in real estate. I am so happy to find this place.

Angel
09-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Hello my name is Angel

And Im an alcoholik.

No i lied....

You will find what you're looking for. It's a good thing you looked into it and are now aware of what you are dealing with, as opposed to eventually letting it mold your life in a certain path...good job.

Bridgie
09-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi LadyBug! Welcome to the forum! So, when you wrote your post did you plan it out first or did you just wing it? Wow. It must be a strain to have to plan everything out. I have never heard of Body Dismorphic Disorder. Can you tell us more about it?

Well, hope we can help out!

brickyard_red
09-19-2005, 07:47 AM
Welcome Ladybug!
I'm so glad that you were able to find this forum. Already it has helped me and I am still fairly new. Hope to see you around much more in the future!

Cath

shoe
09-19-2005, 09:13 AM
hi ladybug, sounds like you have been able to accomplish quite a bit, thats great, but I understand also very stressful. Theatre, wow I can't imagine stepping out on a stage with my SA. Giving presentations was hard enough - and I was taking benzos to help.

Anyway, you might have more than just SA..

As far as the body dysmorphic disorder, are you saying that you are preoccupied with the physical appearance of yourself, to the point you don't want others to see certain aspects of your body or face? That would explain part of it I suppose..

ladybug
09-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all the support! I guess what I was trying to say about the body disporphic dis. is that it has alot in common to social disorders form what i have seen, but I don't feel that my apperance is what holds me back. However, my self esteem is not very high, is that common with SA? And if so is it kind of like which came first the SA or low self esteem?

I am just self diagnosing my self. In researching SA I seemed to have many of the common symptoms. Shoe, when you said I may have more than SA what more are you thinking? I appreciate all of the feed back.

shoe
09-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Ladybug, I think self-esteem issues are common among SA sufferers and probably a few other anxiety disorders as well. As far as which comes first, thats a good question. Its similar to another question asked in research - which comes first - depression or anxiety (since those two are often comorbid disorders).

As far as what more you may have.. I was just curious because you said you have trouble in unfamiliar areas unless you have a plan laid out how to get around. If its not just about people it could be a type of agoraphobic condition, but thats just conjecture hehe.