PDA

View Full Version : How can i calm down?

skybluebird
03-16-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm a teenage girl, age 15. I'm young I know. I'm one of those people that over think everything. Especially when I'm alone. In the past year or two I've started getting small panic/ anxiety attacks (by that I mean hyperventilating to the point of almost passing out and crying uncontrollably) for reasons other people would find very small and easy to get over (mostly stupid things about guys). I even cut a few days ago.. I don't want to die. I was just really upset. I don't think I want to consider therapy, I can't even tell my parents about my problems, how am I suppose to tell a stranger? My question is, how can I calm down so that I don't start severely over thinking small things? Listening to music can sometimes just make me think more (and that's bad, cuz they aren't good thoughts going through my head). Exercising helps a little, but most of my thinking happens at night when I'm in my bed. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

jessed03
03-16-2013, 08:43 PM
You can try some meditation right before bed, to help relax yourself, and clear your mind. It also promotes healthy sleep. It will help you to step back from your thoughts a bit. Very easy too!

biliwiz
03-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Check out some breathing exercises too. Try googling "breathing techniques for anxiety relief". I was truly suprised by how much they helped!

Love and Peace

Lin
03-19-2013, 11:18 AM
I have found meditation and mindfulness breathing help too. The NHS here run a mindfulness course which included meditation and was really good.

phoenixup
03-19-2013, 12:00 PM
I have thoughts like yours, they are the worst when I'm alone or at night. I know some people who wear rubber bands around their wrist and snap them when they start overthinking. I try to switch from negative thoughts to positive ones.. Instead of what if .... Something neg. I'll say we'll what If things go well. What if I turn out really happy. Being mindful of where u are & what your doing helps. Distractions are the bet. Listening to music doesn't engage your brain enough. You need crossword puzzles or other activities that really make your brain work.