PDA

View Full Version : Ativan

Kayla-Annie222
07-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Is anyone taking Ativan for their anxiety? If so for how long, and what is the best way to come off of it when the time is right?

Foxfire
07-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Yup, I took ativan for about 6months. I was on 2.5mg which I was supposed to take once a day but usually only took when I was worried about getting an attack. Usually I would cut the dose in half as well so I was taking about 1.25mg a day.
If you've been taking them regularly the best thing to do is just taper off, so if you're currently on 1.25 a day, drop it back to half that for a couple of weeks, then have that much every second day for about a week and by that stage you should be able to just stop with no ill effects. You should also be able to see whether or not you're getting side effects from the cessation by that stage as well. It does depend on how long you've been taking them for also. The rule of thumb is the longer you've been on them, the longer the tapering off should be.
I was able to just stop with no side effects if that's a help at all, but I would recommend tapering off. Remembering of course that ativan is about 10 times stronger than valium so let that be a guide for how much effect you're actually receiving from it.
Hope this helps!

Kayla-Annie222
07-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Hi, yes thanks it does help, I am going to see my doctor today and ask her advise, I've been taking Ativan, only 1mg for a little over a month. I just don't want to take it anymore, since the drug I'm on is finally starting to work (Cipralex).

Thanks for your help!

saskykitty
02-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Hi Kayla,

I started taking a quarter cipralex four days ago and I am now on a half a day.

Did you perhaps have any side affects or symptoms?

I have burning in my ears and throat and I have icecold feeling down my neck and spine and ontop of my head. And I am still feeling anxious.

I would really appreciate anyfeedback you might have.