PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy

vakim78
03-14-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm 35 and thinking about having one last baby. How would this work given i gave to take .25 mg of Xanax as needed to remain calm . I can't be with out it. Is there a safe effective med for pregnancy they give?.

alankay
03-14-2013, 02:07 PM
I think an occasional .25 mg would be OK but ask your doc about that. If not ask about clorazepate, valium, librium or oxazepam. If you research them at drugs.com they are not listed as contraindicated during pregnancy(but they should be approved/monitored by the doc of course).
Good link. http://www.thewomens.org.au/Benzodiazepines
Alankay

laurandisorder
03-15-2013, 02:44 AM
This is very reassuring, Alan - I assumed that
I would never be able to have children because of the medications I take for depression and anxiety. I believe I would have to take antidepressants throughout a pregnancy and I would have to discontinue the ones that I am currently on to do so - they haven't trailed my meds (Edronax) with pregnancy.

I never thought I would want to have children - working in a high school is the best contraceptive ever :D But now that I am 30, the bio clock is ticking and I am unsure if I want children or not...

alankay
03-15-2013, 05:45 AM
Yeah AD's can be used during pregnancy but there are a few in particular they like to use if needed(http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antidepressants/DN00007, citalopram (Celexa), fluoxetine (Prozac) and sertraline (Zoloft).). The docs have the last word on all this but it might be just fine as well as an occasional benzo. They will monitor all(the baby, you and the meds). LOL. Yeah that's the hard years alright. ALankay

defmunel
03-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Ugh. Alankay, I just read the link. Mostly because we are trying to conceive now. And although I am glad you posted it, there were temptations for me to click on other links on the bottom of yours. And I did. I fear I have a heart condition. Even though I've been to cardio and had the whole work up. Bp is good, but my heart rate is usually fast. Cardio diagnosed me with sinus tachycardia. Organically, my heart is good.

Anyway. On your post it talked about hbp and preeclampsia and if you have it after 20 weeks pregnant for a sustained amount of time, that it can cause cardiovascular disease after you deliver. Well, I know for a fact that I did have hbp after 20 weeks with my son. The doc didn't do anything about it. But that's when I noticed my heart racing and stuff. When I went to the hospital to deliver the nurses freaked our because of my bp. Said it should never be that high, and immediately put me on magnesium. Now I'm freaked all of this has done undoable damage. Now my heart really is going to be bad.

Cardio and OB say I can have more kids, and I'm putting my trust in their expertise, but it doesn't mean I'm not scared. I am.