PDA

View Full Version : Cant do this anymore!!

scared44
03-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Hi, In the past week or so my anxiety, social phobia has become out of control. I have never been so scared in all my life with all the horrible physical effects its having on my mind and body. Im so tense all over, my body hurts like I have the flu heart racing cant breath properly constant urination nuasea sick stomach(nervous) racing pulse and so much more. Its also hard not having any of my family to talk to because they dont want to know about what Im going through. Im sick of fighting this on my own and dont want to go on like this anymore. Im on Avanza and valium but they dont help at all?? Ive been like this for 26yrs and it gets worse as time goes on!! WHY WONT IT STOP :'(

Lin
03-14-2013, 12:44 AM
You should be proud of yourself coping with it for all that time! I am struggling after 2 years. My family are useless, except my husband who tries but gets fed up with it. I can only recommend that you try some new things and groups eg meditation groups, forums to meet similar people, retreats, NHS education courses. I have been trying these extra things on top of medication and some of it helps at different times and trying hard with them. Might help you.

scared44
03-14-2013, 01:59 AM
You should be proud of yourself coping with it for all that time! I am struggling after 2 years. My family are useless, except my husband who tries but gets fed up with it. I can only recommend that you try some new things and groups eg meditation groups, forums to meet similar people, retreats, NHS education courses. I have been trying these extra things on top of medication and some of it helps at different times and trying hard with them. Might help you.

Hi Lin thanks for your reply!! Im sorry that you suffer also. I wouldnt wish this upon my worst enemy. 2yrs is still a long time Lin what meds are you on and how do you cope?? Ive tried cbt,meditation ect but nothing works for me anymore? Im seeing my Doc tomorrow and will be asking for more HELP! Thx again Lin.....Beverley xx

Lin
03-14-2013, 02:33 AM
My doctor and psychiatrist are really good but have had problems because my body has rejected the main bodies of anti depressants. So tablets I have had previously for several times of post natal depression have not worked now during the menopause. Since november have been on a brand new one - agnomelatine - and just increased dose. First tablet in 2 years which seems to be working. So you could mention this new tablet to your doctor.
My biggest problem at moment is my mental health nurse has decided she can't see me regularly, not even once a month, and now says my psychiatrist is my care coordinator and I have to talk to duty officers rather than to her. Don't understand what I have done to her - she always gets me appointments etc when I need them or suggests good NHS courses, but she won't meet with me. Not sure what has changed or how I can change it, but feel alone now and unsupported without one person to ring for help. Have you ever had this?

randomanxiety
03-14-2013, 04:14 AM
Hi Lin & Beverly,
I feel like my anxiety has gotten worse over time also. I am currently trying to get off one medication that no longer works for me since i have been on it so long. However the process will probably take over a year at my current rate! I can only take 10% less at a time or my symptoms go through the roof! Right now I feel like my medication is the current cause of most of my symptoms of anxiety. I too was seeing a councelor however was told that I only have so many sessions before she could no longer see me. Maybe that is what happened to you Lin? It sucks cause she was very helpful at helping me see the positive in my situation.
Right now my biggest problem is getting through a panic attack only to have it come back hours later for no reason?!? Have either of you been through this kind of situation?
I wish you both all the best :)

Lin
03-14-2013, 04:52 AM
My panic attacks are totally random. So stopped going where happened - facials, food shopping, town shopping, watching football, meeting friends socially. Has led to lot more work for my husband so he is fed up with it and led to just managing work and nothing else. Do push myself to meditation groups where don't know anyone or NHS courses - but last two weeks avoided meditation groups and not sure why. Have attacks at home when things go wrong and cry non stop and shout and scream - so not good life for husband. Keep acting normal at work every day in highly pressurised full time job at moment, so pressure builds outside of work at home and I explode even with trying meditation etc. I try everything suggested or learn but just don't work at times and attacks hit me.

Lorenz86
03-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Scared44-------- I know its soooo hard to believe that these thought's wont hurt or harm us... but we have to confront them and let hem be, not fight them. I sometimes sit on my hands and focus in on sitting on my hands, sounds silly but it actually helps. Be strong and keep your head held high.

scared44
03-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Scared44-------- I know its soooo hard to believe that these thought's wont hurt or harm us... but we have to confront them and let hem be, not fight them. I sometimes sit on my hands and focus in on sitting on my hands, sounds silly but it actually helps. Be strong and keep your head held high.

Thx Lorenz ;-) xx

dooges
03-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Hi there , new user here.

I sometimes come into these forums on anxiety to remind myself of the dark place I was in a couple of years ago.. My anxiety was over the top but for some reason I never gave into the fact that I might need meds to control. My reasoning? If my mind got me here my mind can get me out of here. Yes I had a little help from a psych ( about 6 visits ) but mostly I got through it myself... Med free... And so can you!,!,!

The biggest thing for me was a health anxiety bought on by a bad work situation which manifested itself as anxiety leading to actual physical symptoms bought on by that anxiety... The more symptoms I got the more worried and anxious I became leading to more symptoms.. One big huge revolving beast...

Lorenz is correct in what she states" you have to face up to it" 26 years is a long time to be looking at it but have you actually faced it?

Go on do it now.... and when you do actually ask yourself what actual harm has it done to you physically?

When I did this I found one thing....... I lost to much weight... As a result of my body being so strung out all the time the anxiety was using up so much inner energy..

I had so many symptoms, Heart pulps, muscle twitching everywhere, cold feet, headaches my god I could go on and on.. All I might add I was tested for and nothing even remotely serious came of any of them..

So I faced it... Looked at it for what it was.. A flawed thought process. You know at this point I couldn't even walk down a set of stairs without holding the hand rail. True.

So this is what I did to help myself..

I laughed at it.. Yep laughed at it... When ever I started getting the anxiety feeling I laughed at myself and said " good on you brain here it comes again" and I knew for the next few hours or days sometimes I would get that fast heart ( which is from the adrenalin you generate from the anxiety ) or what ever else it would throw at me but I kept laughing at it.

Gee that sounds strange doesn't it. Hard to do but doesn't do you any harm in itself. In actual fact it gets a lot easier pretty quickly.

So after 2-3 weeks my anxiety attacks got less frequent and weren't as prolonged.. 2 years later I can't even remember the web sites I used to visit and sit on for hours a day looking for a cure.

I still worry about my health more than the average person. But the one little thing my psych told me to do was to to worry about anything for 2 weeks after I noticed a new symptom. Just let it be and laugh hit off as another anxiety symptom. If it's still there after this period then see a doctor but keep putting it down to anxiety until the dr tells you otherwise.

Oh another thing. DO NOT DIAGNOSE YOURSELF USING GOOGLE! The single most worst thing you can do. It just feeds your anxiety in the worst possible way.

I'll mention two other things.

The idea of laughing at my anxiety came from a book called "The Happiness Trap" yellow cover with a smiley face on it. I read it and embraced it.

Secondly, watch a documentary called "Food Matters" there is a very interesting little part in there on how natural medicines can help with some mental health issues.
( did you know that anxiety uses up vast amounts of vitamin c. And that niacin ( vitamin B3 ) can have a huge positive effect on depression. No? Didn't think so because the big drug companies don't want you thinking that. No money in it).

Happy to take questions on my badly written post.. Sorry, it's late and I'm on my iPad.

Face it

Dooges

Lin
03-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Sound really different trying to laugh at it. Not sure if I will be able to but willing to try anything so will try. Good yo hear from someone things have worked for.
Just when in middle of it my head is so wrong I feel like I am going to explode.

scared44
03-23-2013, 03:51 AM
Hi there , new user here.

I sometimes come into these forums on anxiety to remind myself of the dark place I was in a couple of years ago.. My anxiety was over the top but for some reason I never gave into the fact that I might need meds to control. My reasoning? If my mind got me here my mind can get me out of here. Yes I had a little help from a psych ( about 6 visits ) but mostly I got through it myself... Med free... And so can you!,!,!

The biggest thing for me was a health anxiety bought on by a bad work situation which manifested itself as anxiety leading to actual physical symptoms bought on by that anxiety... The more symptoms I got the more worried and anxious I became leading to more symptoms.. One big huge revolving beast...

Lorenz is correct in what she states" you have to face up to it" 26 years is a long time to be looking at it but have you actually faced it?

Go on do it now.... and when you do actually ask yourself what actual harm has it done to you physically?

When I did this I found one thing....... I lost to much weight... As a result of my body being so strung out all the time the anxiety was using up so much inner energy..

I had so many symptoms, Heart pulps, muscle twitching everywhere, cold feet, headaches my god I could go on and on.. All I might add I was tested for and nothing even remotely serious came of any of them..

So I faced it... Looked at it for what it was.. A flawed thought process. You know at this point I couldn't even walk down a set of stairs without holding the hand rail. True.

So this is what I did to help myself..

I laughed at it.. Yep laughed at it... When ever I started getting the anxiety feeling I laughed at myself and said " good on you brain here it comes again" and I knew for the next few hours or days sometimes I would get that fast heart ( which is from the adrenalin you generate from the anxiety ) or what ever else it would throw at me but I kept laughing at it.

Gee that sounds strange doesn't it. Hard to do but doesn't do you any harm in itself. In actual fact it gets a lot easier pretty quickly.

So after 2-3 weeks my anxiety attacks got less frequent and weren't as prolonged.. 2 years later I can't even remember the web sites I used to visit and sit on for hours a day looking for a cure.

I still worry about my health more than the average person. But the one little thing my psych told me to do was to to worry about anything for 2 weeks after I noticed a new symptom. Just let it be and laugh hit off as another anxiety symptom. If it's still there after this period then see a doctor but keep putting it down to anxiety until the dr tells you otherwise.

Oh another thing. DO NOT DIAGNOSE YOURSELF USING GOOGLE! The single most worst thing you can do. It just feeds your anxiety in the worst possible way.

I'll mention two other things.

The idea of laughing at my anxiety came from a book called "The Happiness Trap" yellow cover with a smiley face on it. I read it and embraced it.

Secondly, watch a documentary called "Food Matters" there is a very interesting little part in there on how natural medicines can help with some mental health issues.
( did you know that anxiety uses up vast amounts of vitamin c. And that niacin ( vitamin B3 ) can have a huge positive effect on depression. No? Didn't think so because the big drug companies don't want you thinking that. No money in it).

Happy to take questions on my badly written post.. Sorry, it's late and I'm on my iPad.

Face it

Dooges

Hi Ive tried everything imanigable over the last 26yrs and NOTHING works for me anymore!! Im on meds but I have an ileostomy/ bag as I lost my bowel 10yrs ago and because of having a bag I dont absorb tablets?? The only thing that works on me is an injection which I cant have. Thx for your kind advice......but I give up :-( Beverley

scared44
03-23-2013, 04:03 AM
Hi Ive tried everything imanigable over the last 26yrs and NOTHING works for me anymore!! Im on meds but I have an ileostomy/ bag as I lost my bowel 10yrs ago and because of having a bag I dont absorb tablets?? The only thing that works on me is an injection which I cant have. Thx for your kind advice......but I give up :-( Beverley

P.S. Ive never googled any symptoms because I know what anxiety can do to your mind and body.
Thx again for your kind support ;-)

Lin
03-23-2013, 04:16 AM
Thanks Dooges, I found your response of great encouragement and good advice. Not sure can laugh at moment head so love, but worth trying if I can.

Lin
03-23-2013, 04:17 AM
Reply went wrong meant head so wrong not love! (Getting used to using tablet and should have checked before sent!)

emzii
03-23-2013, 04:37 AM
my head is like that to all the time not sure what its down to maybe depression anxiety tirdness i just hope it dont explode its so uncomftable

Lin
03-23-2013, 05:01 AM
I know what you mean, when my head is bad I feel like my head is going to explode - at that point none of the distraction techniques or strategies will work, I just cry and shout.

emzii
03-23-2013, 06:46 AM
i find that too, i always take it out on teh people close to me though, i dont mean to but they just dont understand

Lin
03-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Yes, I know, I give my husband a terrible home life. In the summer he had to shut the windows I screamed so loud. I have only got him since the rest of my family don't understand at all. I could never show my friends who help me how bad I really get. - they would never see me as a friend in the same way when I eventually get better.

Lin
03-25-2013, 08:11 AM
Emzii I have accepted buddy request I think, but not had one before and new to this, so please not take offence if I don't reply anytime etc, it will be because I don't know what to do!

emzii
03-25-2013, 08:11 AM
you never kinow they might surprise you, if there a TRUE friend they'll stand by you no matter what..

Lin
03-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Yes one old school friend has been with me through each time, but I know last time I pushed the boundaries for even her. This time she has experienced depression too so understands better. If you talk about how really bad you are and how much you want out, it can upset people, even if they have been good friends for long time, because they are upset to hear it and feel can't help you.