PDA

View Full Version : Resorted to alcoholism.

FrankWolfe53
03-11-2013, 09:43 PM
I drink every day now. It seems to be the only thing that helps me keep my mind off of things and allows me to enjoy things that are not related to my anxiety. I drink everyday but when I drink too much my hangover makes me have terrible anxiety but the only thing I feel that can make it go away is to drink. I feel like I can't get through this without alcohol. Anyone have any advice or nice words it would be much appreciated. thank you.

Andyh657
03-11-2013, 09:54 PM
I know exactly what you mean, drinking red wine really eases the anxiety for me. But the next day it's horrible, my legs feel numb and my chest pains get really bad. My plan is to try and detox for a month and see how I feel then, it's gonna be easier said than done but I think its worth a crack after what I read when I googled "anxiety and alcohol" .

Lorenz86
03-11-2013, 10:09 PM
I do the exact same thing! I am constantly worrying and have these "what if thoughts" but as soon as i drink they seem to go away. But like you said, drinking too much does make the anxiety/panic a whole lot worse(hangovers). I've been trying to cut back and I am actually starting the P90X workout videos. I would suggest you cut back on alcohol... it is going to do more harm than good in the long run. stay positive and remember you are not the only one going through this. Let me know your progress.

Andyh567- I was going to try the whole detox thing but I am going to wait and get a little healthier before i take that step. Let me know how the detox goes.

Jay1985
03-12-2013, 02:06 AM
This thread is sad

U dont need alcohol guys you can do it yourself

Believe!!

anxiousmal
03-12-2013, 02:40 AM
Yea quit the alcohol, it will be putting your body under too much strain. If alcohol is really giving you some relief, go to the doctor and get some prescribed drugs instead. At least you won't have a hangover. Otherwise your problems are likely to get worse.

Jay1985
03-12-2013, 02:46 AM
Hangovers definitely make things worse

NixonRulz
03-12-2013, 07:02 AM
Alcohol affetcts the same part of the brain that Xanax does.

I never was a wine drinker until I realized it really cooled me out

Now that my anxiety doesn't affect me much, I still drink red wine every night

I just like it now and really enjoy the calm buzz I get

I suppose it's my vice.

Better than smokin crack I suppose

Ants23
03-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Frank,
I don't know if I have nice words, but I have words of warning. My father, at an early age, developed depression and anxiety, and turned to drinking. He felt better when he did. From the day I was born, all I ever knew was an alcoholic father. I can't even begin to describe the psychological effects that had on my and my family. He, of course, eventually succumbed to illness related to alcohol and smoking.

Find another way. See a doc, or other means.

PanicCured
03-12-2013, 12:23 PM
So you have anxiety so you drink. Then that causes anxiety so you drink again, then that causes anxiety so you drink.

Then you come here and ask for advice what to do about this?

Hmmm, could it be possibly the advice is to NOT DRINK?

jhunter89
03-13-2013, 01:59 PM
I feel the same :( i don't feel good unless I'm inebriated in some way... It's tragic :/

alankay
03-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Best for your liver and general health and safety(as well as others) to get medical help for anxiety. Alankay

jhunter89
03-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Doesn't most medication fuck your liver anyway?

alankay
03-13-2013, 02:46 PM
No. Not like that. Statins maybe but not ssri's or even benzos taken a normal doses. No comparison. Alankay

Armstrong1
03-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Right as usual Alankay. I swear, before I got some kind of handle on anxiety/depression, the only thing that kept from drinking way too much was the misery of hangovers, particularly the extreme anxiety part. I mean EXTREME. There is nothing nothing nothing wrong with taking carefully prescibed medications. Trying to treat ourselves soley with alochol is a trap that can only lead to misery. I totally understand the impulse and the desperate need for relief that the original poster on this thread is experiencing. But you don't have to go there. See a psychiatrist and tell the whole truth. You'll be so gald that you did and you deserve the help and the relief.

Lorenz86
03-15-2013, 09:24 PM
PanicCured- You shouldn't be so direct and say things like "NOT DRINK" It's like if you're judging us. We are all here because of the same thing, not all of us have the same coping mechanism. You are talking to us(typing) like we are children. You might be 'cured' and thats awesome, but you should be giving out encouragement and not this whole sarcasm talk. When people talk like that I always say..... EASIER SAID THAN DONE....

nf1234
03-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Yes the post drinking anxiety is horrible. I had to finally stop drinking because the hangovers would give me such bad anxiety. I would suggest either a prescription drug or even natural supplement. My father used to have a drink every evening to wind down and since he has started his natural supplement regimen he hasn't felt the need for a drink in weeks. It sounds like your caught up in a bad cycle but now is the time to break it. I've seen it happen to too many people and it just gets worse and worse. Better to break it now than in 10 years when your really hooked. If you want to suggestions on the all natural root let me know. Thats the path I have taken and am 90% cured.

PanicCured
03-16-2013, 03:41 PM
PanicCured- You shouldn't be so direct and say things like "NOT DRINK" It's like if you're judging us.

I am not judging you. I am saying if you want to CURE your anxiety and get past it, part of what you do is stop alcohol. Isn't his common sense? The guy here is saying drinking causes anxiety the next day and he keeps drinking. Not only did he say he keeps drinking but he is resulting to alcoholism. Should we say great carry on? He drinks which makes his problems worse then keeps drinking. He comes on this forum and asks for advice, isn't the first thing we should say is, stop drinking? Isn't this obvious? I mean if he is a full on alcoholic then he needs AA. But if you come on this forum seeking help with anxiety, wouldn't a healthy lifestyle without alcohol be common sense? Especially since people with anxiety tend to feel alcohol makes their anxiety worse the next day. Then after anxiety is better you can drink again.